SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Got it. Did a third round of PB Blast this morning... a few taps just now and it came right apart. PB Blast really is amazing stuff when you have a couple days to let it soak. It's done some great things for me :- )

I have some oven cleaner removing the soot now, I'll wash it down and get you some photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Loosen the clamp, then tap the housings rotationally with a brass drift to break up carbon, then pull it apart.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Probably would have helped... didn't think of rotating it. After a couple days of PB Blast a few taps to the manifold port and support bar mount did it... fell right off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Awesome thank you! #6 shows exactly what I was hoping to see, the same cutout shape in the race around. Now I'm confident I can just get a new cartridge for the housing, hooray

·
Registered
34 Posts
IBasket,

Thank you for posting at SAAB Central!

Your photograph shows the MITSUBISHI TD04HL type turbocharger with removed turbine housing. The turbine wheel reveals some damage to the rotating wheel blades which is common when a turbine housing sees a thermal expansion crack which now contacts the rotating turbine wheel. If the turbine housing can be cleaned it should reveal the small contact area(Crack) which may show a bright contact area where the expanding crack contacts the rotating turbine wheel. Material removed from the rotating wheel can also alter the balancing of your components which could eventually become problematic. The turbine housing may require replacement, and most technicians would also replace the CHRA which includes the new turbine wheel/compressor wheel which are dynamically balanced for longevity.

The turbocharger rotating components should also be checked for zero thrust(No in & out movement) which is also common with these assemblies. Any shaft thrust may allow for enough movement wherein the rotating compressor & turbine wheels may contact their respective housing causing similar issues as to those found in your photograph.

Thanks again for posting at SAAB Central, and we will be available until 6PM if there should be additional questions!

Sincerely,

Gary K. at SWEDISH DYNAMICS, INC.

http://WWW.SAABPerformanceParts.Com

21 - 26 of 26 Posts