SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been working on trying to source a TD04 to upgrade to in my 9-3. I pulled one from a junkyard, and when I split it apart, it's pretty obvious the fins on the compressor wheel are chewed up and will need to be replaced. I'm pretty much trying to see at this point if the housing is in a good enough condition to get a cartridge replacement, or if the housing is borked and useless. For the most part it looks good, but there's one spot on the inside (part of what looks like a race for the air to travel into the turbo from) that I'm unsure if it's slightly broken or it's the shape it's supposed to be. If any of you guys know what the inside of this turbo is supposed to look like could you let me know if this is right or not?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I have a couple spares here. I can look tomorrow when the sun comes up. If you need a core, I could help you out.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
For a daily driver and not some race car, I'd run it. Back in the day I ran T3s on c900s with chunks missing out of them.

If you have access to a mint one, of course do it. But I wouldn't lose sleep over that personally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know, thank you guys.

I have a couple spares here. I can look tomorrow when the sun comes up. If you need a core, I could help you out.
That would be awesome! I'd appreciate it, dyou want to shoot me a PM if you can find one and we can talk about shipping and all? Everyone is so helpful here, I love it

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I took a look at one of my spares and it looks fairly smooth in that area, but it's a little too sooty to tell. I sprayed some cleaner and will wash it off in a bit to see what it looks like. Should still have enough light to photo. It might be a week or two before I have one up for sale (cheap). I have to sort out some details here. Or it could be tomorrow. Anyway, let's see how far out of spec yours is.

What's your exducer wheel look like? Got a photo?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay cool thanks! Yeah let me know, still waiting on a few other parts for the swap still as well so not in a big hurry.

Ooo it looks pretty terrible, here's the photo.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Wow, yeah, that is some serious damage. But, those blades are softer than the cast iron housing. Let me get a photo later.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Had to spray some PB blast on the housing... doesn't want to come off. I'll let it sit and try again in the morning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it looks pretty bad! Luckily the housing doesn't look nearly as bad (I think?). But cool sounds good... good luck! It was a huge pain getting mine apart. Giving it some light tippy-taps with a rubber mallet around the housing helped I think.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
The taps brought it out a little... maybe a 1/16" gap, but it didn't want to come further. Soaking it now. Will tap again in the morning.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Still not moving. Sprayed it again to soak overnight. I need to get this apart either way... so I'll stick with it and keep working it.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I made myself a tiny little spreader the last time I took a turbo apart. I used a bolt, a nut, and a small socket. Screw the nut onto the bolt, set the socket on top of the nut, and put that between the turbo halves. Hold the bolt head with one wrench, turn the nut with another, and the socket will push the turbo apart.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Sounds good Jeremy, I will give that a shot.

Jvan: You mean a brass drift tapped in the gap between halves to separate them? Or just using it when striking the exhaust housing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used MAP gas and a Brass Mallet separate the cartridge and Exhaust Housing on my Garrett Turbo.

It took about 20 minutes and I got a feeling of what it was like to be a Blacksmith way back when.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry you're having so much trouble... once I got that 1/16" gap on one side I just PULLED til it came apart... took me maybe 10 mins? Guess I got really lucky. If you're going to be sticking things in between the two halves, be careful around the pin thats used to align the two!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts