SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item240.htm has any used this kit and does it work well?

im thinking about picking up a used TD04HL-15T on the cheap and while it says its in very good working order, it doesnt list the miles. So in the off chance it becomes a pain I would get that rebuild kit, because turbo + rebuild kit is still cheaper than a new td04

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
To be honest this question has been asked before and I don't remember anyone saying they have rebuilt one :confused:

Having said that the failure rate of the TD-04 is much lower.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I bought a TD-04 from a scrappy, it was in poor shape and no wastegate actuator.
Having it professionally rebuilt and buying a Forge WGA was cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ragtopcav said:
I bought a TD-04 from a scrappy, it was in poor shape and no wastegate actuator.
Having it professionally rebuilt and buying a Forge WGA was cheaper than a new one.
Raggy you are handy with the spanners, am I right in thinking though that a turbo rebuild is in the "professional" domain though - hence you not buyng a kit like the one listed and having a go?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Get a cheapy bargain and spend £180-200 getting it refurbished properly with a warranty would be my advice. You could be naughty and bore 'n' slip in an 18t for an extra £100.
P

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Raggy you are handy with the spanners, am I right in thinking though that a turbo rebuild is in the "professional" domain though - hence you not buyng a kit like the one listed and having a go?
My concern would be getting it to re-balance; I think the actual 'nuts and bolts' part of the job is not difficult. The turbo itself is a rather crude device that is merely set up to very fine tolerances.

When I got my turbo off the wreck I could feel, by hand, excessive play so I knew that at least new bearings and seals would be required, as it goes the shaft was replaced to.
I know some guys have achieved good results DIY though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts