SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is.

I'm not interested in buying it, I'll be looking later this summer. But I'm trying to learn what to look for. So if you wouldn't mind taking a look and telling me what ya think. It says 37k on it, but I don't usually trust sellers 100%. And if anybody is looking for one, here ya go!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I was going to do that to somebody. Sorry. Nonody else bid!!!! Just tell me what you think for my and now bk's beneit!!!

P.S. I'm not really new, I had to ditch my original s/n due to some spammer, obviously I can't say what it was.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
It helps, a lot... but you can get a good increase even before the ECU, from what I've seen. As long as you have the fuel to go with it

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much debate over if you need an ecu or not. No you don't need one, but like what bk said, eventually you'll want one to get full benefits. I don't see any harm in running it temporarily on its own though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
an mbc would help matters some. especially in 1 and 2 gear where boost is limited by the ecu. all in all you can't go wrong with this turbo. whether you have an ecu or not it is going to be a dramatic imporvement. especially at top speed, there anything is better than the little T25

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
easy on the ole t25!!!! Mine has served me well!!!! Nah, but you're right really, my wallet is in denial though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On eric's site it says it costed $400 for the td04 at a junkyard. if i were to buy somethign like the turbo on this auction, what else would i need to bolt it onto my car? if i could pick one up for $300 it sounds like a costworthy upgrade. ALSO, say i already had a sport exhaust, mbc+a, intake and got the td04, would i have to get a custom ecu or could i just get a specific stage?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
stromer said:
Much debate over if you need an ecu or not. No you don't need one, but like what bk said, eventually you'll want one to get full benefits. I don't see any harm in running it temporarily on its own though.
just read a bit, no ecu is required, but an ecu will get the most out of it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well I got a quote to get the TDO4-15t I have sitting at home completly rebuilt and that was $400-500. But then I could upgrade it to a 19g for $700-800. And thats good for over 310hp. The quote for the upgrade includes the full rebuilding.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
re: Eric paying $400 for a TD04....

It's likely that the price is dropping on these turbos at junkyards and on Ebay because there are more of them in circulation now. The 15T with a 5cm2 housing is found on the Viggen AND on 2000-2002 9-3 SEs with the High Output Turbo option. 9000 and 9-5 Aeros used a 15T with a 6cm2 housing. (This is the one you want, if you can find it. )

I sold my 15T/5cm2 for about $300; it was taken from an engine with 15K miles.

This one looks perfectly OK, except for the dismantling needed....

I would ask to see a detailed picture of the oil drain hole. With a well-cared for turbo, you should be able to see the gleam of the brass journal sleeve through the drain hole.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no,the 9000 aero turbo is still the same td04hl-15t but the differance is the exhaust on the other td04's is the 5cm2.

The td04 I'm getting will set me back $300. And I cab get whatever else I need for the install. The car is an 01 SE HOT that rolled with only 12k miles. I'm pretty happy with this deal.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
volvo? I'm not really sure. Ricot seems to be the resident expert on turbos around here though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts