SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy were to come across a TD04 with the King Cobra from an '08 9-5... would he need anything other than the turbo and the intake to use it? Are any of the lines needed or the rubber intake hose, etc?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You need a “short neck” TD04 from the 06-09 95. The cobra is longer, thus the turbo intake side is shorter. It won’t fit on the 9-3 TD04.

Also our PCV line on the cobra is different from the 06-09 9-5. You need to make a banjo for it.

No other parts are needed. It will fit on our air filter rubber intake hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
To illustrate the geometry change, the first two pics show set-squares placed in the same position across the intake and outlet openings - note the overlap of the squares. '602 is the "king". The older ones were all the same dimensions, the PCVs differed.

I've never fitted one so don't remember the PCV fitting. I was just having them polished and selling them on. I wish I could get more of them.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back here for a moment... I know the cobra is larger and requires a machined housing for this update. But, is the inducer wheel any larger? Or is it just a bigger hole into the same size inducer?

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I don't think the diameter of the opening is bigger, but the height of the opening is shorter. The king cobra pipe has a less restrictive (larger radius) bend right where it attaches to the compressor housing which means the pipe would hit the AC compressor if not for the shorter lip on the housing where the pipe attaches.

The compressor wheel and internals of the housing remain unchanged.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
There used to be, and may still be, some sellers on eBay who have TD-04 compressor housings that are machined down to fit the king cobra pipe. If someone's lucky enough to come across a king cobra and not the turbo it came off of, that should be all they need for the upgrade, other than modifying the banjo connection.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I’ve looked over the banjo for the pcv... the king uses a red snap thingy instead of the banjo. The line runs in a very similar path. I think I can use the 9-5 line and just run it up to where the metal line merges with the plastic one the 9-5. The oil drain line is different - they must have changed the pan design on the 9-5.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've just fitted a replacement turbo to my car that I got sent over from ebay UK and the intake tube now hits the AC housing, is there a short neck intake pipe I can get? This is supposed to be a direct replacement for the GT17 but the intake spool housing has turned out to be bigger - it took a lot of heartache for me to figure that out!! I was looking for a second hand genuine turbo this time but this picture of a pipe that has a compressed neck is interesting

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My suspicion is that it's a later 9-5 GT17 that you got shipped... all the OG's should be the same. How about just swapping the outside half of the turbo? That's sort of the same as the King Turbo swap in this thread - turbo is the same, housing swapped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks I thought about that but the vanes look completely different shapes. How can I tell if it will be compatible?

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I thought about that but the vanes look completely different shapes. How can I tell if it will be compatible?
Might want a turbo guru to comment vs. me. The first test would be to make sure the vanes don't hit. After that, it's a performance question. The inducer might be larger on the replacement to increase performance, but then I wouldn't think it would still say GT17 on it. Perhaps it's a GT17-?? vs. a GT 17-??.

What's the other part #? Is 9172123 the original part #?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
9172123 means that turbo is from 1999-2000 9-5 or 2000 9-3.
You bought old version of Garrett GT17.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts