SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after many delays, the Viggen turbo is finally in. And its awesome. Each gear seems to pull equally harder now. I now know what people mean by a higher top end.

I drove the car for about 2 hours this afternoon and couldn't get enough. At one particular intersection, I had to start up pretty quick to get into traffic. I got through first gear okay, straightened out, and proceeded to just burn 2nd gear rubber. It was something new to me as I wasn't really trying at all. Now, consideing I'm on the regular clutch, this isn't something I want to do too often.

I want to thank Mike/Blue 9-3 for all his help. He sent me many emails and great tips on how to get everything to work. Thanks to jay/jrbrangji for his motivation. Hope you get yours done soon too man. And thanks to all the crew at tsl as well.

Something kind of funny though when I first picked up the car. They told me on the phone that it was hitting fuel cut real easy. I just figured the mbc had to be adjusted down a bit. So when I picked up the car, I took it for a drive and found that they weren't kidding. When I started turning back the mbc, it didn't help at all. Finally when I had the whole thing closed I knew something was wrong. After all Blue's problems, I wasn't too excited at this point. I brought the car back to my mechanic and he didn't really know what to do. The fact that the car was smoking hot didn't help. I started looking at the vacum lines coming off the mbc and realized that the line coming off the wastegate had been switched so that it was connected to the factory bpc which itself is just hanging there. So the wastegate was opening all the way until fuel cut. So it was an easy enough fix. All I then had to do was adjust back the mbc, which is all done.

My plan is to run the car like this for a week or so just to make sure everything is okay. Then I'll pop in my stage "3.9" ecu from SQR. That way, if something should be wrong with either item, it will be easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're coming. Everytime I think of it, the car is too hot to take of the heatsheild!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Automaggot said:
Come on man, you can't post a thread like this without pictures. :nono;:cheesy:
I think i could live w/o the pics, but i want to see a before/after dyno... :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Wow Stromer!

Nice work. I know you went through a lot getting this all together. Good to hear you're out shredding tires now:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The work isn't completely over. I'm still fiddling with the crankcase breather. Too bad a little part like this is the one that is giving me so much frustration. Oh well.

I don't and won't have before and after dyno of just the td04. I plan to dyno with the stage 3.9 ecu soon though. I have heard from somebody on another board that just the td04 upgrade gave a peak hp increase of 34 hp. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I want to try to start setting one up in a few weeks after I get my turbo in as well and my buddy gets his inner drivers on his 9000 replaced Im thinking late september/early october right before sweedish car day.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just noticed the fan in my t25 is ****ed. We need a good sticky on td04s. I really want one but am afraid to ask the same questions that are being asked over and over. What do I need besides the actual turbo for it to work right?

·
Registered
335 Posts
So where do most people buy their turbos? I don't need something that will be overly complex to bolt on and require a ton of modifications. Are there any on ebay that arent that difficult to make fit? Do most people just look for wrecked viggens or what?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically any td04hl-15t/5cm2 or a td04hl-15t/6cm2 will work the "easiest." The turbo with the 6cm2 will have a little more pull in the high rpms and this turbo was made on the 9000 Aero with the manual trans. Sort of hard to find, and they cost a bit more. All of the other td04's came on 99-02 Viggens, and 2000-2002 HOT 9-3's and 2003 9-3 HOT conv's.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, its pretty great. You'll know the feeling when you finish your catalog kit install. Now I'm just crossing my fingers everything will go well when I pop in the ecu.

·
Registered
642 Posts
stromer remember once that new ecu goes in it is gonna be odd to start, at first you boost maybe real high and idle will fluctuate a lot, it'll take a day or two to settle in. But I can;t stress this enough , adaptation runs, adaptation runs, adaptation runs. From 2000-4500 rpm in 4th WOT. It really makes a big difference. Do at LEAST 3 good pulls, you should feel with each pull the car will feel smoother and stronger. Also if you do a lot of in town and city driving the ECU will tone down after a while so you'll have to do some more adaption runs. Hopefully you have a nice stretch of highway where you can go nuts. All in all it is scary/fun as hell the first few times, especially with that turbo and ECU level :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got some good roads planned out. You say 4th gear. I've heard 3rd. I was planning on going in third just because it would keep the speeds legal. I've got some hills I'm going to use to help with keeping the boost up too.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's reccomended to do it in the highest gear possible
Check out the Trionic Boost Pressure Adaptation pdf under service on Gensaabs site. 4th gear uphill is the best within reason, some people do it in 5th, but theres not to many places to safely do it.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/index.htm

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, I'll try it in 4th.

Why does your info say IV, not III?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts