SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did my LPT to TD04 conversion on Sunday along with a sump drop. It took about 10 hours total from start to finish, but it was well worth it. Installed the TD04 along with a Stage 1 tune from JZW. So should be making around 265bhp and 290ftlbs.:cheesy:. It is a dramatic change from the LPT tune with the GT17. The power delivery is very smooth, and plenty fast off the line. Not really laggy at all. On a short freeway on-ramp I was at 90mp before even merging on. I love it.

The only problem is my suspension. I realized just how soft it is once I hit the gas now. The rear end squats down and lifts the front up just enough to be a little scary under full throttle. Feels like it is wandering just a bit. I guess I will have to back off a bit until I get some stiffer springs and dampers.

I can't recommend this route enough to any LPT owners who are considering a tune and/or need a new turbo. The TD04 was $250, JZW (LPT to TD04 Aero Spec 1) $314, and the aero oil, coolant, and banjos were about $200. So $764 for 265hp and 290 ft.lbs, compared to $750 for a Stage 1 tune on a questionable GT17.

JZW delivered a quality product and turn around time was really quick. Great value.:D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
why do people have to keep posting about how AWESOME jzw tunes are? it makes me want one soooo bad :cheesy: bad i have to keep telling myself that i want to tune myself with t7.

anyway- awesome stuff man. 300 bucks for some serious go-fast is not bad at all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was tempted to go the self tune route too, but I frankly I don't trust myself. I was half surprised I didn't break anything while doing the conversion as it is.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Stage one is only about 230hp, I did the same as you (although I specified mine as a mild tune, these things do blow up). If you enter the SID telemetry and hit it, see what it says. In mine, Meng will read about 320nm, which translate to somewhere in the 236ft/lbs range. Unless you had him really string your engine out, I would recommend an exhaust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stage one is only about 230hp, I did the same as you (although I specified mine as a mild tune, these things do blow up). If you enter the SID telemetry and hit it, see what it says. In mine, Meng will read about 320nm, which translate to somewhere in the 236ft/lbs range. Unless you had him really string your engine out, I would recommend an exhaust.
I will check the SID and see what it says. I asked him what it was tuned to and he stated 265bhp and 290 torque. Thanks for the reasurrance:). I don't plan on pushing it to its limits. It's a daily driver for the family. I might get an exhaust but that is last on my list after suspension and brakes.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
why do people have to keep posting about how AWESOME jzw tunes are? it makes me want one soooo bad :cheesy: bad i have to keep telling myself that i want to tune myself with t7.

anyway- awesome stuff man. 300 bucks for some serious go-fast is not bad at all.
hes tuning an tcu for me as we speak i should get it soon il make a video one i get it :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The only problem is my suspension. I realized just how soft it is once I hit the gas now. The rear end squats down and lifts the front up just enough to be a little scary under full throttle. Feels like it is wandering just a bit. I guess I will have to back off a bit until I get some stiffer springs and dampers.

AS we keep banging on, do the suspension and brakes first! ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I also have a jzw tune (stage 4) with the sid mod. I'm still not sure about all the readings. Anyone know what the norms should be?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Good deal. Now without a tune a TD40 isn't worth changing IMO. And the GT17 is a sweet turbo if it is good shape. I ran one with a tune for a few years and it was super friendly in downtown traffic. But I also had the stock GT17 with no problems with it. Either way awesome job and enjoy that beast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good deal. Now without a tune a TD40 isn't worth changing IMO. And the GT17 is a sweet turbo if it is good shape. I ran one with a tune for a few years and it was super friendly in downtown traffic. But I also had the stock GT17 with no problems with it. Either way awesome job and enjoy that beast.
I agree the GT17 is good turbo if taken care of. I was going back and forth on replacing the GT17 and getting a tune, or upgrading to the TD04 and tune. In the end, they are close to the same price except the TD04 already has 50k on it. My GT17 was throwing way too much oil into the intake, so it was on its way out. I think the car may have had a few lengthy oil change intervals. Still hadn't started smoking yet at 72k but I like to catch things before they go.

I liked the GT17 for it's quick response, but really it does not hold a candle to my TD04 with the tune. I found the GT17 to be abrupt compared to the smoother build up with TD04.

Really it came down to the power/cost ratio for me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hes tuning an tcu for me as we speak i should get it soon il make a video one i get it :)
awesome dude how much is he charging you? i might just wait and let him do the dirty work when i have some extra cash. are you getting the live telemetry SID with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts