SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was at a local pull-a-part grabbing some parts for my 1998 Saab NG-900se (Ending up replacing the steering wheel and front grille with OG9-3 ones), however I went to look at newer saabs to see what parts were on them.
I then came across a 2006 - 2008 Saab 9-3 aero, that had the turbo still on it!

So, I looked up the part number on it (55557012) and sure enough it came back as a TD04HL-15T Turbo, which Is something I want to put on my 900SE in the future. I pulled it off, it was only $60. Turbine looked great, and has no shaft play.

Now, here's my question. Obviously I f***ed up, the hotside on the turbo obviously does not match up with the flange on my exhaust manifold. So what do I do now? Return the turbo, or spend some $$ on getting a hotside that has the proper flange. Maybe an adapter? Can someone help me out? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,512 Posts
Are you sure it's a TD04-15T? I though the 9-3SS had a different turbo, perhaps the 16T. The 2.3 Aero 9-5 in those years does have the TD04-15T with the infamous King Cobra. It's slightly different, but can be piped in. With that one, you want the cobra as the intake side is larger and won't match the OG9-3 Cobra.

BUT, I thought the hot (manifold) side was the same for your T25 and the TD04. I never heard of anyone changing the exhaust manifold when doing the uprgade or using adapters. Perhaps one of the turbo guys can confirm.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
He bought one out of a 9-3SS. Those have a completely different engine than the OG9-3 and 9-5, and I'm sure the exhaust manifold is much different. I'd try to sell the turbo you bought (SaabCentral classifieds, eBay, Craigslist, etc.), and keep an eye out for a 9-5 or original body style 9-3, which would have the correct TD04. Also keep in mind that you'll need an ECU tune, otherwise it will boost too hard and you'll experience fuel cutoff while accelerating hard. That was slightly embarrassing the first time I felt that with my wife in the car. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Are you sure it's a TD04-15T? I though the 9-3SS had a different turbo, perhaps the 16T. The 2.3 Aero 9-5 in those years does have the TD04-15T with the infamous King Cobra. It's slightly different, but can be piped in. With that one, you want the cobra as the intake side is larger and won't match the OG9-3 Cobra.

BUT, I thought the hot (manifold) side was the same for your T25 and the TD04. I never heard of anyone changing the exhaust manifold when doing the uprgade or using adapters. Perhaps one of the turbo guys can confirm.
9-3 2.8 has the 15T, and 2.8 versions of the NG 9-5 & 9-4X have the 19T. Exhaust housing has dual inlets for the V6, so you’d have to change that housing entirely to make it work. Easier to find another turbo.

He bought one out of a 9-3SS. Those have a completely different engine than the OG9-3 and 9-5, and I'm sure the exhaust manifold is much different. I'd try to sell the turbo you bought (SaabCentral classifieds, eBay, Craigslist, etc.), and keep an eye out for a 9-5 or original body style 9-3, which would have the correct TD04. Also keep in mind that you'll need an ECU tune, otherwise it will boost too hard and you'll experience fuel cutoff while accelerating hard. That was slightly embarrassing the first time I felt that with my wife in the car. :oops:
Probably the best way to go. Good advice!

·
Registered
18,512 Posts
I have a spare TD04-15T that I won't be needing. I'll be disposing it at a reasonable price... although I paid a bit more than what you did so I have to get a little more. If you're interested, PM me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts