SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for another daft question ;oops: why change the habit!

i have had the Aero since November,

i always concluded that the switchable TCS was - push on.

i have now discovered that it would appear to be 'on' all the time until - push off.;oops:

is it just me....or is there a difference in the performance of the car? it seems a little more sprightly.

should i expect a difference?

Punch

·
Registered
593 Posts
You should not detect any difference between off and on in normal mode
when you are really going for it and getting into wheelspin the ecu will pull back the fuelling /boost if the onset of spin is detected
should not have any effect lower down the scale however I have always suspected that there is a difference and the tcs ecu holds it back more than it should
this has never been proven in practice and all my low speed throttle sensitivity problems lay in other areas....

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
having owned a 2.3 turbo with TCS and a 2.3 turbo with out TCS i can say that the non TCS had far more uumph in it than the TCS model

·
Registered
176 Posts
Grentarc said:
My '95 Aero seems to 'jump' more when in OFF mode.. wheels spin easier (not that stupid a comment really!) In TCS OFF mode, they will chirp or spin easily, whereas in ON mode, they don't.. not because of TCS, because the light doesn't come on.... just seems.. duller;)

I KNOW WHAT I MEAN!:( :p
I know what you mean as well..
The same thing happens with most TCS with any car. Aside from controling the throttle once you've lost traction, it aims to inhibit your ability to lose control in the first place, how boring!

·
Registered
824 Posts
After doing some experimenting, with it on and off, i have come to the conclusion (comparing it to when i was working on my '87 9000 Turbo) that it feels like the ignition is advanced by about 2 degrees BTDC when switched off. I remember going from 14°BTDC on the '87 and then adjusting it to 16° BTDC, then experiencing the difference.. the Aero with TCS off feels likr the same difference in performance!

·
Registered
768 Posts
My V6 feels slower with the TCS on, but i have done a few 0-100 times before with and without the TCS, and the car is always quicker with the TCS on by a second, probably because without TCS the tyres try to melt themselves with wheel spin, so waisting time over when the TCS is on, i can remember Motor magazine did some tests with a 2.3 FPT and found the TCS car was faster as well, figures at the time were TCS 0-60 6.7, 1/4 mile 15.5 and 50-70 in 5.6, non TCS was 0-60 7.2, 1/4 mile 16.1 and 50-70 in 6.2, Auto car had a TCS do 0-60 in 6.5 :eek: , 1/4 mile and 50-70 were the same as the other TCS test.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
microcat36 said:
i have done a few 0-100 times before with and without the TCS, .

i trust you was on a private road and not the public high way :nono; ;)

or was you talking kilometer rather than miles per hour :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts