SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 95 Areo.

For the past few days, the TCS OFF light randomly stays on when I start the car. It stays on until I turn car off. Pressing the TCS button has no effect. Nothing else unusual happens (no error code, no CEL, no brake light, etc...). The TCS definately doesn't work - ABS works fine.

Sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't. TCS works just like normal if the light goes off after starting.

We're in the middle of our cold months (it's been below 5 deg F for the last few days), so it's not an ideal time for the TCS to be flakey. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks......

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm weird.. the TCS is designed to always turn ON when the vehicule is started reguardless of the fact that you turned it OFF last time you used your car.

The TCS system automaticaly turns back on when you drive over 60 mph.. If it dosn't then you realy do have a problem and need to get it serviced

You might wanna try booting it to in first gear.. see if the TCS actualy works even though the dash says its not.. might just be a faulty fuse that says its OFF when its actualy still working fine..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is your engine turning a bit slow in cranking?

My 01 9-5 did that a couple of time when the battery was low on charge and the engine did not crank with as many cranking amps. When my battery was more fully charged and the engine cranked harder in startup i have not had that problem. If it is only 5 degrees and if your battery is a bit old you probably are just not getting the cranking amps that it needs. It doesn't make sense why it would affect the TCS but it does seem to. Also when it does that try just running it for a minute to let the engine warm up a tad bit then shut it off and restart and the TCS light will go right out and it will work fine.

Cheers.

Summit25

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LT - The TCS was definately not working when the light stayed on. Summit25, you hit the nail on the head. I too discovered that if I let the car warm up, then turn it off and turn it back on, the light would turn off.

I had a new battery installed yesterday. The old battery tested at less than 250 cranking amps. When I turned the car on with the new battery, I was disappointed to see the TCS light stay on. But every other time since then it has gone off. So the problem seems to be gone. Looks like it was some kind of combination of a weak battery and extremely cold temps.

Thanks for everyone's help - my old 9-5 has had many of the quirks listed on these forums and I haven't seen this issue here yet. Hopefully it will help someone in the future......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts