SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

So about a month ago I can across a deal that I felt I couldn't pass up for my daughter.

We found a 2005 9-5 Arc Estate for $600 that "only needed a head-gasket".
(177,000 miles)

While replacing the headgasket I noticed that the timing chain tensioner was all the way out so I decided to do the timing and balance chain at the same time.
I also noticed that the inside of the engine looked as if they had been using dino oil, and not even replacing that in the proper intervals.
So, I also flushed the engine out with LiquiMoly, cleaned the pan out, flushed/scraped/polished all I could get to, to completely remove any trace of all the gunk that was in there.

While the head was off, we also polished the head/valves/combustion chambers.

In addition, judging by the state of the oil, I assumed the transmission fluid was ****e too, and it was. I am on the first stage of flushing with the proper Mobil 3309.

Now, once the headgasket was on, I did move the car a bit and it seemed to be slipping pretty badly. I know think that his may possibly be "limp mode" as opposed to slipping. Correct me if I am wrong but that entails the car staying in 3rd?

Now that I've got it all back together again, it starts and idles perfectly. The timing chain was SO far out.

The problem I am encountering is this transmission slip.

When I connected my T2 I first got a communication error.
I can't say for sure but I am pretty sure that before I did the timing/balance chain, this wasn't an issue.

As anyone who has done the balance chain before, you know how much jockeying of the engine that entails and I can't help but think that something just got pried loose.

Also, am I mistaken to deduce that the ABS/TCM are pass thru devices and if faulty, will not allow communication with the rest of the systems?

I am about to check the connections at the ABS unit, as that would seem to be a primary culprit given it's position by the brake booster, and the position the engine had to be in to remove the timing cover.

Tech 2 says these modules are "missing"

EHU/IHU
Airbag
TCM
ESP

Also, when I tried to read codes with my generic code reader, I got a "No Connection" error, which I expected.

I also have an intermittent "Key not Authorized" but I attribute that to the "antenna" in the key surround, and will address that separately.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally, I am to understand that the car was driving, until the head gasket went but, you know how that goes, with used cars.

For all I know this was the problem all along, and the shop that diagnosed the issue wasn't aware of the full extent of the issues, as they didn't drive it, either.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The only "pass through" device on the bus is the MIU that ties the I and P bus together. The other devices connect like a RS485-style add-drop bus and don't pass messages along from device to device.

If you're having trouble connecting to the ESP, ECU or MIU you might have a bad MIU or bad wiring somewhere along the P bus.

It is possible for a bus device to cause interference to other devices on the bus but that's rare and usually a wiring fault.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently it appears their was a communication error due to the blue lead in the OBDII port being pushed out.

Was getting SOME communication, now there is none with the T2, but my generic scanner is showing a connection.

Going to mess with it some more in a couple hours. I suspect I'll need to address the ignition switch/key issue before I can fluidly proceed with diagnostics.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Have you checked the TCM itself? Or at least the wiring going to it? Could be a loose plug, or disconnected.
The TCM is located behind the glove box. Remove the panel under the dash and look up, the TCM should be right there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Nocturne and if i'm reading the wiz correctly. i noted that almost all of your problems run through one connector h43-1. all i could find is one picture an a description saying its in the driver foot-well behind the carpet. seems like a likely place to get kicked and dislodged.
h43-1 search.png
h43-1 pic.png

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Nocturne and if i'm reading the wiz correctly. i noted that almost all of your problems run through one connector h43-1. all i could find is one picture an a description saying its in the driver foot-well behind the carpet. seems like a likely place to get kicked and dislodged.
View attachment 268900 View attachment 268901
That sounds VERY plausible.
I'll check that out. Thanks!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 268900 View attachment 268901

So the connections look pretty solid what want I can see.

I did a search for the H43-1 in WIS and I noticed that, the TC/ABS 5.3 go through there but I don't see anything where the TCM communicates through there?

seeing how there are common problems with the ABS module, I would likely assume that that just needs to be addressed independently.

I also believe that a TCM needs to be programmed?
Although, if there's no communication to the unit, you can't program it.

In diagnostics, I first get the k line - brake system communication failure.
It seems that also in Wis, the seems to be indicative of a bad ABS module.

New thing I've noticed, when clearing DTC, it gets hung up on the airbag module.

I had to program the twice unit again, because it had triggered the immobilizer but, there was no error in the Y7, as T2 suggest may exist.

key remote started working when I replace the antenna and battery, but has since stopped responding.

I can start the car no problem, but when I turn it off the dash LED blinks twice, and the car is not responsive to locking and unlocking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is by far the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life.

So I got these missing units, out of nowhere.
I got a key not recognized, a no-start, which I see now because the immobilizer have been triggered.
so I'm programming out the immobilizer that twice unit and I see that the code is also in the t7 so, I'll have to clear that.

The IHU/ACC modules come and go, intermittently.

Occasionally they'll show as unavailable, but they'll be working.

This goes way further than just the TCM.

I have a replacement ignition switch, because I thought that was the problem a while back, but it was just the antenna.

Could a bad ignition switch cause all of these communication issues?

I'm seriously on the verge of either just scrapping it or pulling the motor and the transmission that I just put into it, selling those separately...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
So frustrating. Is your Tech 2 a Chinese knockoff? Have you used it on any other Saabs? Is there a possibility your Tech 2 is bad?

I don’t remember what year your Saab is, but the CANDI module could also be problematic.

I do think DICE acts as a hub of sorts, but I wonder why Tech 2 would say it’s OK if it’s bad?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Also, TCM is plug and play. There is an adaptation procedure that requires Tech 2, but the TCM doesn’t have to be married to the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So frustrating. Is your Tech 2 a Chinese knockoff? Have you used it on any other Saabs? Is there a possibility your Tech 2 is bad?

I don’t remember what year your Saab is, but the CANDI module could also be problematic.

I do think DICE acts as a hub of sorts, but I wonder why Tech 2 would say it’s OK if it’s bad?
Yeah I have used the T2 to marry/divorce ECM as well as other modules on at least 4 other SAABs with no issue.

It's a 2005 so, no CANDI in the lines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is new.........

Yesterday, wouldn't start.
I didn't have time to mess with it so I just put the battery charger on it to make sure it had full power today, and then today it started right up no problem but was doing all this:

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok this doesn't cover all your problems but a fair few. the flashing and then non working dash makes me think maybe its the Main instrument unit. the miu is responsible for immobilization as well as translation of all the instrument bus and power train bus information (so your dash can display power train data like speed, temp, boost...). so your missing your p bus but can communicate with the dice on the i bus and miu sits in between the dice (or i bus) and the tcm, trionic, and tc/abs (on the p bus) according to the schematics. h43-1 also sits in between the miu and the trionic and tc/abs. the only things this doesn't explain would be your acc and radio. i think its either the miu the dice or the wiring in between. since i think your said you replaced the dice i would start with checking wiring or the miu if you can find one cheap.
Annotation 2019-10-12 111908.png
other.png
abs.png
Diagnostics comunications.png
Immobolization.png

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok this doesn't cover all your problems but a fair few. the flashing and then non working dash makes me think maybe its the Main instrument unit. the miu is responsible for immobilization as well as translation of all the instrument bus and power train bus information (so your dash can display power train data like speed, temp, boost...). so your missing your p bus but can communicate with the dice on the i bus and miu sits in between the dice (or i bus) and the tcm, trionic, and tc/abs (on the p bus) according to the schematics. h43-1 also sits in between the miu and the trionic and tc/abs. the only things this doesn't explain would be your acc and radio. i think its either the miu the dice or the wiring in between. since i think your said you replaced the dice i would start with checking wiring or the miu if you can find one cheap.
View attachment 268961 View attachment 268957 View attachment 268958 View attachment 268959 View attachment 268960
Excellent. Thanks for the input.
I'll see if I can source one, inexpensively.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I found a 2003 9-5 linear with 56k and a blown motor for $600.....may be a good donor for whatever I need or, a good place to put this engine....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts