SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had quite an ongoing ordeal with this particular vehicle, and I am determining whether or not I want to continue to put any more time and effort into it.

The most recent ordeal was, here: https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/dead-battery-and-now-no-crank-start.726562/page-2#post-6422144

The most resilient issue I am seeing now, after searching, is something I was dealing with, almost three YEARS ago, and I've towed it more, moving, that I have been able to drive it.

I replaced the TCM with a used one, still no communication. I understand the ABS/ESP errors are very likely due to a bad ABS module, but, I am not going to bother trying to replace that if I have an unidentifiable short in the harness.

I haven't found anything but I am hoping that someone else has dealt with this communication issue and maybe there is a common place to look for a short.
If it is indeed some aberrant anomaly, I am likely to either part the car out or, scrap it entirely.

As for just randomly searching for a short wire by wire, I wouldn't even know where to start.

At the end of my rope with this car. I really want to keep it but it's just taking up space and is only a source of great frustration at this point.

It's not a flood car.
There is no visible damage from what would appear to be rodents or anything like that.

I really hope someone has something I can go on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Do you have Wis installed on a computer? That should help you figure out the issue(s)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have Wis installed on a computer? That should help you figure out the issue(s)
I do.
All there is for this in particular refered to generic BUS communication.
I feel there has to be someone, somewhere, who's dealt with this, before, who can suggest common fault areas.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
As I stated in your other thread...

Have you checked the TCM itself? Or at least the wiring going to it? Could be a loose plug, or disconnected.
The TCM is located behind the glove box. Remove the panel under the dash and look up, the TCM should be right there.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

Have you checked the TCM itself? Or at least the wiring going to it? Could be a loose plug, or disconnected.
The TCM is located behind the glove box. Remove the panel under the dash and look up, the TCM should be right there.
He said he replaced the TCM.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Quick question: Can the tech 2 communicate with other modules in the car, just not the TCM? Will it talk to DICE, TWICE, etc.?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question: Can the tech 2 communicate with other modules in the car, just not the TCM? Will it talk to DICE, TWICE, etc.?
Absolutely.

I was able to marry an ECU on another car, a DICE unit on this one, and it will read all modules on this vehicle.
I am leaning haeavily towards a short in the TCM wiring, here, but even with WIS it seems like I don't even know where to start to do so.

I guess I could have also gotten a bad TCM that was "new"...

WIS talks about using multimiter to measure resistance and "wiggling the harness" and such, but doesn't seem to specify specific terminals.

I also found the pinout descrittions for the TCM but not where the "other end" is supposed to be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes, replaced with used.
I suppose I could have another bad one.

I need to check interchanges and see if maybe I can get someone let me swap a good one for testing.

Of course, then I am risking potentially damaging another TCM.....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yes, replaced with used.
I suppose I could have another bad one.

I need to check interchanges and see if maybe I can get someone let me swap a good one for testing.

Of course, then I am risking potentially damaging another TCM.....
I have one laying around I'd be willing to ship to you if you want to try it out. It was from a 2003 that I parted out. I don't really need it; you could have it for the cost of shipping. It worked fine in when it was in the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one laying around I'd be willing to ship to you if you want to try it out. It was from a 2003 that I parted out. I don't really need it; you could have it for the cost of shipping. It worked fine in when it was in the car.
That would be awesome.
I may have a suggestion a possible connection point issue.
Let me check that out tonight and if that isn't successful I'll let you know.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts