SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the procedure in WIS regarding adaptation of the TCM. The first step is to zero the adaptation with a Tech2, then proceed to warm up the car and do the crazy driving.

Does anyone know if the zeroing of the adaptation is required, or would doing the specific driving steps help to "adapt" the TCM even without zeroing out the previous values first?

I recently got a new transmission but it's shifting a bit rough and I know that the (well meaning but not Saab-specific) shop did not do the TCM adaptation, not sure if it's worth tracking down a Tech2 or if I can just do the driving pattern to help smooth out the shifts a bit.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
The only way to clear the tables is with a Tech 2, unplugging for a while, pulling wires, etc won't do it.

that said, I think that the transmission is constantly adapting so driving will eventually sort it out. You can't re-do the weird driving setup unless the tables are clear though.

In the past I've put TCM's into my car, reset the tables and then sent them off to people who then did the adaptation with success. (I'm doing another like this tomorrow)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only way to clear the tables is with a Tech 2, unplugging for a while, pulling wires, etc won't do it.

that said, I think that the transmission is constantly adapting so driving will eventually sort it out. You can't re-do the weird driving setup unless the tables are clear though.

In the past I've put TCM's into my car, reset the tables and then sent them off to people who then did the adaptation with success. (I'm doing another like this tomorrow)
Interesting, I've never thought about swapping the TCM out. I wonder if I find an 06 TCM on eBay if that would work (although now that I think of it, probably not because I'd need a Tech2 to marry it, thus defeating the purpose).

Sounds like I need to make the trek to my nearest Saab indie and just get the adaptation done right, thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
you do not need to marry the TCM to the vehicle so no Tech 2 to install it.

I just put another TCM in the mail this morning that I reset the adaptation tables by putting it in my car, clearing and then taking it back out.

The only thing you have to be careful about is TCM's with and without paddle shifters since if you get one that doesn't have the support and you have the shifters they won't work and if you get one that is expecting shifters and you don't have them it'll throw a check gearbox code since it thinks something is wrong.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was told a while ago (by a Saab tech) that the TCM can also be reset by unhooking the battery and connecting the + and - terminals with ignition on for at least 15-20 minutes.

Haven't done it myself, but perhaps worth a try before you find a Tech 2.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
My understanding is that you can do this on other vehicles with the AW55 but not the Saab. the adaptation survives no power (tying the two cables together just makes sure that any capacitors are fully discharged)

Of course there is no way to KNOW this since you can't find a way to read the tables and make sure that they are clear, even a Tech 2 can't do that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My understanding is that you can do this on other vehicles with the AW55 but not the Saab. the adaptation survives no power (tying the two cables together just makes sure that any capacitors are fully discharged)

Of course there is no way to KNOW this since you can't find a way to read the tables and make sure that they are clear, even a Tech 2 can't do that.
Uncle, I asked my saab guy if he can reset tables for my 2005 9-5 auto. He said "you can't reset anything on the transmission on that car" do you know what the menu structure is for clearing the adaptations?

I love this car, but if I can't get it to go into drive without a bump, it's getting sold.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It's in the Transmission Control module settings group, I think under "adjust" or some such. I've not done it for months but if I get some time in the next day or so I'll plug the Tech 2 into the car and find it.

but your guy is dead wrong. I've done it a half dozen times including on a couple of TCM's that people sent to me that I put into my car and reset them.

The only way to do it though is with a Tech 2

·
Registered
830 Posts
@Uncle, thanks for the info. My Saab guys knows a lot of stuff but he's not really up on the internet... It's actually a bit scary. He used to be a master tech at the local dealer before they closed, so he should know better. I've read the technical documents from Sonnax on the AW-55 and I will be taking them to the local Tech 2 garage today so that the adaptations can be set correctly.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
you don't "set" the adaptations, the transmission does that itself

What you do is "clear" the adaptation tables and then drive the car in a very specific way for it to re-adapt. (procedure is in WIS)

Make sure the transmission is at temp, clear the adaptation

5 N-R shifts in garage with foot on brake, wait 2 sec, back to N
5 N-D shifts in garage with toot on brake, wait 2 sec, back to N
5 D, slow acceleration on flat street, 20% throttle, feel shift thru all gears then back slow to stop to allow to shift down.
5 D, medium acceleration, same thing, 50% throttle, feel shift thru all gears then back slow to stop to allow to shift down
10 D, medium, allow to shift to second, then back to L on shifter (or if Tiptronic, shift to 2 then back to 1), come to stop.

When you're done things should be better. If not I'd consider a solenoid replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unclemiltie,

I just bought a 03 Saab 9.5 from a guy for $700 a few weeks ago. He said the only thing that was wrong with it was that its throwing an electrical short code for the transmission and I remember you also having that problem in the past. And if I recall correctly, replacing the TCM fixed the problem.

So I've decided to pull my TCM and send it off to AES Modules for repair with a lifetime warranty (they also said they can install updates on it if any are available but they can't erase adaption) instead of replacing with used TCM.

Now, my question is when I get it back how will I know they fixed it correctly?

-Will the codes automatically be gone or do I have to clear the codes before I install it again?

- Will it be safe to drive the car form nc to the nearest Saab shop in va to redo the adaption?

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'm shocked that someone could fix the TCM, it's "potted" in epoxy and getting that stuff of is NEXT TO impossible without damaging the circuitry. How to tell if someone was successful in rebuilding it? no idea since to properly restore it back to the way it is supposed to be would mean potting it again with expoxy. I guess you could look at the color of the epoxy before you send it out and then see if it changes, but that might not even happen (or you could scratch your name in it?)

you'll have to clear the codes after installing the TCM (if they don't self clear) and then all should be good.

There won't be issues driving the car with a new/used or rebuilt TCM, you may have some rough shifts but that's about it. you certainly could drive it to get the adaptation redone.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'd be suspicious

FWIW used TCM's for this model can be had on eBay for less than $100. Just make sure you get one that is for the transmission with paddle shifters or for one without since they are different and will throw error codes. Best is to match up the part number on your TCM with the one you buy.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Okay. Thank you for your info. Should I think twice about sending it off for repair? Due to being shocked.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I'd specifically ask them how they deal with the epoxy coated circuitry of that module. I wouldn't be surprised if they fix the ones from the 4-speed that were not potted and not the ones from the 5-speed.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.