SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very annoying tapping sound at idle. My engine seems to be running perfectly and the sound doesn't get any faster when I hit the gas. The sound is pretty much only at idle or when I'm going very slow. If I put my foot on the gas it goes away almost instantly. I'm 99% sure that its not in the engine itself due to the fact that if I listen carefully when I'm pressing the gas it never gets and faster, just more faint.

The sound seems to be coming from the back left of the engine compartment (if facing it from the front of the car). When sitting in the drivers seat it seems to be coming from the passenger side near the firewall. I'm guessing that it's some kind of pulley or something going bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i used to have the same thing in my 9-5 when i first bought it. Try using higher octane gas or a octane boost and see if it helps.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your problem sounds like it was engine knock, mine is only at idle and it never speeds up. Plus, the car has never seen anything under 91 octane..... Or at least since I've had it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a ticking sound at idle for years, finally isolated it to the EVAP puge valve. The sound was not rev related. If it's not that could be your timing chain or idler pulley about to snap.

·
Registered
477 Posts
yes timing chain would get louder or tick would get faster with revs. are you seeing this? idler pulley I think would act the same way.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is definitely not getting faster when I rev. I sat in the car for about 20min trying to figure out if it got faster or not. It just gets more faint until you can't hear it.

I would assume that the idler pulley would get faster also, except for the fact that if its the bearing or something of that nature the sound might just stay the same with revs, I'm not really sure on this one.

It is definitely coming from that area part of the engine/bay.

·
Registered
477 Posts
To rule out the EVAP purge valve, I would at idle touch the purge valve and see if the ticking sound matches the ticking of the valve, that's how I figured out that it was the valve in mine.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Search "grand father Clock" in the search function. I started the initial thread. It sounds like a "clock" ticking at about 4 ticks per second than I am pretty sure it is your evap valve.
Mine came from the same area, made the same noise, and is non rpm dependent. Furthermore, it is also intermittent, in that on some days it goes, some not...
Hope it helps, you'll find more answers when you search for the "clock" as mentioned above.
-Cm

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
same question here. i've located the sound and know it's the purge valve in my car, but it'd really help me to know what it looks like. :lol: mine sounds like it's hitting something when it actuates, which is what people have said usually causes the noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
timing chain

dus therattle goe as the car warms up and if it dus it will be the timing chain it will be slack its just a case ov getting it tightend up by a garage or by yourself

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe that I understand what you wrote.......

The sound is generally not affected by the car being warm or not. If anything at all, I'm not even sure about this, it happens more when the car is warm.

Like I wrote before, I think that the noise would be affected by revs if it was the timing chain.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The evap purge valve is attached to the back of the air filter box. If you've had the air filter replaced by a 'junior' mechanic they may have detached the valve from the filter box and forgotten to replace it. This can result in the valve resting against part of the bodywork and (I think) this can transmit the noise (of the valve working) more effectively (i.e. louder) to the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to go check that right now, I think that part is on correctly but I'm not sure......

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YES!!!!! That was it. When I installed the genuinesaab intake I hooked it up to the new stainless heat shield. But, that was the only way to install it. Is everyone with the genuinesaab/taliaferro intake having this problem?

It seems that even though I put some baffling material in, it's still making to much noise.

How do I know wether or not it's gone bad?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has to be "going" bad then. I just wrapped it in a towel and duct taped it and I can still hear it.

It's very faint, but I can still hear it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The GS air intake has a tab on the back side of the heat shield. Bend this out and you can slide the valve onto it.

*EDIT* sorry - you said you did that. Oh well. I have the same setup and I can hear it very faintly at idle. I guess it doesn't bother me too much!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts