SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was worried about a rattle that started on Friday. I wasn't sure if it was timing chain or tappets, so I called out to my friendly mechanic this morning and he identified the tappets. I was due a service and had arranged for him to drop the sump. Will a sump drop and clean rectify this or do the tappets need to be worked on.
I only ask as he's a great mechanic only not too familiar with 9-5s. He was suggesting that he take the cam cover off, lift the cams and replace/repair the tappets - seemed like over kill to me.
Has anybody gone to this trouble or had issues with their tappets? Can't find anything in the forum.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'm not even sure our tappets are adjustable :confused:

I have never read of anyone ever having them done before. I'd be more convinced of oil circulation problems caused by sludge starving the top end.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The tappets are non-adjustable and rarely fail. Noise from them is indicative of low oil pressure, I'd be much more concerned about that. Dropping the sump will tell you about the sludge situation, if any. After you do that you'll have a much better picture. Maybe before that hooking up an oil pressure gauge would be a good first step for your mechanic.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Judging by the age of your car, I would make the assumption that its a blocked strainer causing oil startvation. If the tappet noise subsides after the car is warm, then this would confirm it to some extent, as oil starts to flow a little better through the strainer once its warmed.

If I were you, Id be cautious and stop driving the car now. Get the sump dropped, which is not the easiest job in the world, clean the strainer and sump and put back with the correct gasket sealant
p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I couldn't find anything in the WIS about tappets, should have taken that as an indicator. As you say - I'll avoid using the car untill I get the sump dropped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts