SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of tall (6'1") and have long legs and arms but a very average torso. At any rate, I find that when I slide the seat back so my legs are comfy and I telescope the wheel so I can reach it OK, I'm sitting literally beside the B-pillar. When I look to my left I see nothing but post and seatbelt. I have to hunch way forward to look for traffic at stop signs and whatnot. What are other tall guys doing??:roll:

So far, this is my only complaint about my new 9-3SS (and it's a minor one!)... what a fantastic car!!

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I am 6'3" and don't have this problem. Admittedly I dont slide the seat all the way back and find myself very well suopported by my Vector leather / fabric seats.
The only problem I have is.... I hate the idea of taking her into the garage, knowing that the seat will have been moved in every possible way. I would have love to hav the memory seats (only for this) but too expensive sniff, sniff.

In the old days.. with my '64 Lotus Elan SE2 the seat was on the floor and there my legs were streched out straight. The steering wheel was where it should be... That was a Real Sports Car... Now I have a real Sports Saloon.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Try adjusting the height. This may place you farther from the steering wheel so that you have to move the seat forward a bit. This may or may not help.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am also 6'1" but dont have the seat pushed back that far where I only see the column when I look to my left (or right for our friends over the pond)

Somewhere down the line I was told a 'rule of thumb' that if you extend your arms towards the windshield, your wrists should be in line with the top of the steering wheel. If your wrists arent in line with the steering wheel, but your fingers/hands are - your seat was too far back, and if your wrists passed beyond the steering wheel - your seat was too far forward.

I didnt stick exactly to that 'rule' but did use it as a general guideline for finding my prefered seat position.

And then my 5'4" wife gets in the car and messes everything up! Would be nice to have the memory seats in the Linear!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm 6'4" and also find that I do not have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable. I'm more pleased with the driving position in the 9-3 than in my previous two 900s.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 6'1" and dont have the seat all the way back, but far enough. its actually in line with the B pillar. But i have my seat up realy high, as far as it goes. I like to sit up high, gives me more of a view.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 6'6" and I know what you mean about having to slouch to see traffic lights. Don't worry, kids nowadays will think you are with it if you drive like that - just lean to the side as you slouch at stop lights.

I also have found that I do not need the seat all the way back, a first for me. I have more room and can get into a more comfortable driving position in the 9-3 than I can in any car I've been in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am 6'0 with short legs long torso. My problem is that I like to have the steering wheel low, and then top of the wheel blocks the speedometer.

Barry

'04 Nocturne Blue Arc SS

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 6'2" and have the seat all the way back, long legs short torso.

Take the seat all the way back, tilt it back and up, so you are the furthest back, and pull the steering wheel out and up, that is the way I drive.

Sometimes I try some other configurations, but always end up this way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
6'2" and thin. My head basically touches the ceiling of the car, and I have back problems so I'm actually positioned close to the wheel with the seat forward a bit. Other than that, it's the most comfortable driving experience I've had. The seat itself is sinking, but.. that's another story.

Also, I park between two 3 series at my complex, and that's a smaller car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts