SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My intake is on it's way. Taliaferro sent it out today. However, I read that someone had used an 'outerwears' pre-filter on their K&N. Can someone give me the dimensions of the K&N supplied by Taliaferro? Maybe I can order my pre-filter and have it here close to the arrival of the intake.

ALSO, who sells a repair manual for the 9-5 3.0t? My Dad has the entire All-Data library (owns a 5 bay repair shop) but I don't wanna keep bugging him for print outs. ....Maybe I could burn the All-Data CD? I don't think my Dad would go for that though. SO, I could really use a manual. For the V6. Any suggestions?

a side note- it's been frustrating trying to figure out what works on the 4's and 6's, and only just on the 6's. Any search inevitably ends up with a result for the 4, then cross-referencing multiple other thread/sites to see if it will actually work on a 6. Is there a better place to search for '6' specific help?

-Thank You

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if i remember correctly- haynes sells a v6 manual. i might be wrong though, but i know that my haynes manual ONLY covers the 4cyl.

info is just going to be tough to find on the v6 man, sorry. its more of a GM platform engine, really. maybe you could try a few different GM based forums? the 3.0 litre v6 is a really common motor for them so you should be able to find some good info on it.

other than that, i think youll find that the vast majority of owners here have the 4 cyl motor. there are still plenty of guys with some good knowledge and experience with the v6 though, so talk to them or wait for em to chime in :cheesy:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, found the Haynes '4 cylinder only' manual. I'll dig around and see if I can find one for the 6.

I've owned 9 GM vehicles, none had the 3.0. Had I known it was the motor put in the Catera... I would have looked harder for a 4 cylinder Saab. I hated the Catera. The Caddy that zigs? Nope. More like the Caddy that gets hauled to the repair shop on a flatbed.... wait, that's most Caddys. Nevermind.

Well, I can always carpool to work if she's down for a few days or a week. This will be a learning experience. Thus far I've learned to buy a 4 cylinder Saab.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hahaha yes my friend. Both the four and six have their strong points, but the four is probably the most logical choice for driver-friendly DIYing. not to say that plenty of people haven't overhauled their six though.

the six is more of a laid back cruiser that is probably a much smoother ride than the four, but it comes at the expense of a little more go fast, or even a manual transmission- both of which are at the top of my list when looking for cars.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
hahaha yes my friend. Both the four and six have their strong points,.
I am totally biased here, which is not healthy for a moderator but please remind me again:

Whats the strong points of the 6 then :p

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car was a bit of an impulse buy. I had sold my sports cars and was getting sick of my Grand Am. 3-4 weeks ago I saw it at the dealer, stopped in to look at it. Went back 2 days later, test drove it. Went back 2 days after that, bought it. I didn't try to look too hard otherwise. An aunt and uncle of mine have had 4 Saab's over the years, all of them have gone 250-300k miles. That was a big selling point for me. When it's paid off next year, I'll start looking for a 4 cylinder model. Which 4 cylinder model? I have no clue yet.

This is definitely the best combination of comfort and speed that I've owned so I won't whine too much. This car is amazing on the freeway, an ultimate road trip car. I just want a bit more out of it.

Still no luck on a paper manual. There's CD/DVD manuals on Ebay, but I'm a bit sketchy with what I'll actual get for my purchase. Can someone point me in the right direction for a CD based manual?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am totally biased here, which is not healthy for a moderator but please remind me again:

Wow. Ouch. Don't be so mean! :lol: So I've learned my lesson, buy a 4. But this is still my baby.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

you know- i don't really know :cheesy:. Obviously i like the 4 cylinder because thats what i own, but that doesn't mean i'm trying to bash the 6.

I hear its a smooth ride and the pickup of the 6 cylinders really helps down low i guess. Other than that, it's not a car i would be buying anyway, as the 4 will always be avaliable.

I hate to say it- but the four is just flat out the better choice if you want to be doing anything except taking long cruises and use it as a family-mobile. But even so, the 4-wagon does that well too.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This car was a bit of an impulse buy. I had sold my sports cars and was getting sick of my Grand Am. 3-4 weeks ago I saw it at the dealer, stopped in to look at it. Went back 2 days later, test drove it. Went back 2 days after that, bought it. I didn't try to look too hard otherwise. An aunt and uncle of mine have had 4 Saab's over the years, all of them have gone 250-300k miles. That was a big selling point for me. When it's paid off next year, I'll start looking for a 4 cylinder model. Which 4 cylinder model? I have no clue yet.

This is definitely the best combination of comfort and speed that I've owned so I won't whine too much. This car is amazing on the freeway, an ultimate road trip car. I just want a bit more out of it.

Still no luck on a paper manual. There's CD/DVD manuals on Ebay, but I'm a bit sketchy with what I'll actual get for my purchase. Can someone point me in the right direction for a CD based manual?
which four cylinder model? ha! simple- the AERO model. a little more spendy, yes, but definitely WORTH it.

just get an older one at that- you can get an 00-01 for under 6k with a manual transmission and low miles, im sure.

for the manual youre looking at on ebay- i assume that is WIS. you will get the WIS there, sure- but its VERY likely that its a pirated copy. But if you can get past that, the WIS is EXTREMELY helpful.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always wanted a wagon. Almost flew out to Utah 2 winters ago to drive back with a full Euro-spec A4 Avant. My dream car being an S4 Avant. This thing was running just under 400 hp at the wheels. It was sold the morning I got off work and was going to buy plane tickets. I STILL want a wagon. People laugh at me for it and I don't care. I think they look awesome and I'll own one eventually.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
there's just one problem with owning a wagon- youre fully obligated to SLAM it once you buy it! if you're tucking tire, a wagon is just about the sexiest thing on wheels :cheesy:.

i would have a wagon, although the sedan 5spd found me first. plus the wagon= +120-150 lbs i think? Pardon me- i am still used to my 2400lb integra, so the thought of a 3400lb car frightens me :lol:

Some people will never fully understand the wagon craze- hell even i don't know why they appeal so much to me. wagons and hatchbacks get a bad rap around here, though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
which four cylinder model? ha! simple- the AERO model. a little more spendy, yes, but definitely WORTH it.

just get an older one at that- you can get an 00-01 for under 6k with a manual transmission and low miles, im sure.

for the manual youre looking at on ebay- i assume that is WIS. you will get the WIS there, sure- but its VERY likely that its a pirated copy. But if you can get past that, the WIS is EXTREMELY helpful.

Aero hmm? If only I could convince my girlfriend to get rid of her Golf...nope, not gonna happen.

But will the WIS manual include all the v6 information?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
absolutely. think of the WIS as the manual your SAAB dealership uses when they don't know what to do (which seems to be far too often....). It packs just about everything you could imagine into that DVD.

there might be a different WIS for the 4 and 6 cyl though, so check up on that before purchasing.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since several people are actively checking out this thread, a quick help please. I found an extra ECU, out of an '00 9-5 Aero. This will work without any problems with my v6, right?

-Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since several people are actively checking out this thread, a quick help please. I found an extra ECU, out of an '00 9-5 Aero. This will work without any problems with my v6, right?

-Thanks
and also... can someone PLEASE answer my original question? Does anyone have the dimensions of the K&N supplied by Taliaferro?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Why would you think an ECU from a 2.3litre 4cyl car would work in a 6cyl 3.0litre?

Why not email Nick at Taliaferro for the size?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why would you think an ECU from a 2.3litre 4cyl car would work in a 6cyl 3.0litre?

Why not email Nick at Taliaferro for the size?

Yeah....good idea about emailing Nick. Was just hoping for a quicker response here.

I've heard several people say the T7 computer was the same for the 4 and 6. Doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen it several times here on the site and wanted to confirm this before actually purchasing an ECU.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
DO NOT put an aero ECU into your car man. It WON'T work and anyone who told you otherwise should be scolded.

both the 4 and 6 cylinder operate on trionic 7 engine management, yes. But that does NOT mean they are interchangeable. how could an ecu tuned for a 4 cylinder be thrown into a 6 and work? that would be the smartest ecu ever made to be able to say "hey, look at that! i picked up an extra 2 cylinders overnight!, my timing CHAIN is now a timing BELT, and my turbo.....i sware it seems much smaller than it used to be!"

the ECU's are interchangeable between 4 cyl models, but you can't put a 2.3 ecu into the 3.0. you COULD buy a t7 ecu then re-write the maps on it for the 6 (ie tune it yourself) but you can't run the SAME maps for the 2.3 aero. it may as well be a completely different car. if you want to do a custom tune (i think some people actually have done custom maps for the v6, check out ecuproject.com theres some AWESOME info there)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DO NOT put an aero ECU into your car man. It WON'T work and anyone who told you otherwise should be scolded.

both the 4 and 6 cylinder operate on trionic 7 engine management, yes. But that does NOT mean they are interchangeable. how could an ecu tuned for a 4 cylinder be thrown into a 6 and work? that would be the smartest ecu ever made to be able to say "hey, look at that! i picked up an extra 2 cylinders overnight!, my timing CHAIN is now a timing BELT, and my turbo.....i sware it seems much smaller than it used to be!"

the ECU's are interchangeable between 4 cyl models, but you can't put a 2.3 ecu into the 3.0. you COULD buy a t7 ecu then re-write the maps on it for the 6 (ie tune it yourself) but you can't run the SAME maps for the 2.3 aero. it may as well be a completely different car. if you want to do a custom tune (i think some people actually have done custom maps for the v6, check out ecuproject.com theres some AWESOME info there)

Yep. Thank you so much for confirming this. I'm picking up an extra ECU to send to John. Time to keep looking... again. And again and again. The joy of the 6!

Also sent an email to the WIS seller to confirm it covers the v6. My dad's All-Data covered it, why wouldn't WIS? I really need to just quit hoping for the best, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts