SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gathering as much info. as possible on the Taliaferro carbon custom intake made at Genuine Saab for my Aero. Definitely leaning toward this vs BSR, as their craftsmanship has gained much respect over time. Three positive reviews on GS, while being $20 less than BSR. My two small concerns...

1. Have carbon fiber components been known to melt over time from engine heat?

2. Is there risk in using an oiled filter (K&N), as opposed to a dry filter (AEM)?

I had read that a mechanism could be damaged within the intake from oil being sucked in over time. Not sure if BSR uses an oiled filter or dry.

Any input on these two intakes quality/performance (primarily Taliaferro) much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've been gathering as much info. as possible on the Taliaferro carbon custom intake made at Genuine Saab for my Aero. Definitely leaning toward this vs BSR, as their craftsmanship has gained much respect over time. Three positive reviews on GS, while being $20 less than BSR. My two small concerns...

1. Have carbon fiber components been known to melt over time from engine heat?

2. Is there risk in using an oiled filter (K&N), as opposed to a dry filter (AEM)?

I had read that a mechanism could be damaged within the intake from oil being sucked in over time. Not sure if BSR uses an oiled filter or dry.

Any input on these two intakes quality/performance (primarily Taliaferro) much appreciated.
I wouldn't think GS would sell an intake if it would melt, but if the resin wasn't the heat resistant kind, it might fade or turn yellowish over time.

All filters should be oiled so that it can trap the dirt and let clean air into your system...K&N is pretty heavy on the oil IMO, I would buy their degreaser and filter oil, wash it, and lightly oil it myself. Too much oil can coat the resistor on the MAF sensor (on the intake pipe) and cause it to give a false reading over time. A dry flow filter might be less restrictive, but it wouldn't trap as much dirt, which can allow more dirt, dust, pollen and debris in the turbo or engine. It will take a lot for a k&n or regular cone filter to become too restrictive... at that point, you would see an open compressor in the engine bay or on the bumper on a race car at the track... The kind that will suck in small animals

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've got the BSR kit on mine, only gripe I've got is the silicone part split when tightening it up. Not a mega problem as I just adjusted the clamp a little higher and its been fine since....but for £180 I'd expect better quality tbh...

Does sound nice though ;ol;

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Diggs is right

Get yourself a K&N drop in filter. Then remove the tube/snorkel on the bottom of the airbox. This tube goes to the front of the bumper and restricts the amount of airflow that comes into the airbox. It will give you the sounds youre looking for and will only cost you $40.

·
Registered
116 Posts
All filters should be oiled so that it can trap the dirt and let clean air into your system...
Actually, some pod filters are designed to run dry. I have a "3A Racing" filter which is sold as a dry filter and it is one of the best around yet only costs $30 or so. Yes, it sounds like some cheapo Chinese brand but it is actually Australian Auto Accessories who have been in the business for 40+ years. Website is here.

There was an independent test done by Auto Salon magazine here that shows the 3A Racing is the best or close for both flow and filtration and that's even compared to the Japanese brands that charge up to 10x the price. Oh and you can get it in a variety of colours - I got black on black :)

I would think that most pod filters would sound much the same. It's your turbo or piping that will change and/or amplify the sound. para pat sells a metal pipe intake kit that significantly amplifies the sound. Combine this with a pod filter and you're laughing!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Actually, some pod filters are designed to run dry. I have a "3A Racing" filter which is sold as a dry filter and it is one of the best around yet only costs $30 or so. Yes, it sounds like some cheapo Chinese brand but it is actually Australian Auto Accessories who have been in the business for 40+ years. Website is here.

There was an independent test done by Auto Salon magazine here that shows the 3A Racing is the best or close for both flow and filtration and that's even compared to the Japanese brands that charge up to 10x the price. Oh and you can get it in a variety of colours - I got black on black :)

I would think that most pod filters would sound much the same. It's your turbo or piping that will change and/or amplify the sound. para pat sells a metal pipe intake kit that significantly amplifies the sound. Combine this with a pod filter and you're laughing!
There website sells a cleaner kit which includes oil respray.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input. It doesn't look like there is much use of the Taliaferro custom quite yet but if anyone comes across this post and has one, please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen a short-ram rerouted into a cold air setup by someone in another thread on their 2.0T. I know the whole engine configuration is much different and less crowded with the 4 cylinder, but is a cold air setup impossible with the 2.8T?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have seen a short-ram rerouted into a cold air setup by someone in another thread on their 2.0T. I know the whole engine configuration is much different and less crowded with the 4 cylinder, but is a cold air setup impossible with the 2.8T?
It's not impossible, you need to pull out the snorkel tube, and feed your intake pipe into the fender well through the hole where the snorkel came out of.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It's not impossible, you need to pull out the snorkel tube, and feed your intake pipe into the fender well through the hole where the snorkel came out of.
A filter in the fender well is pretty much impossible. There is a vacuum pump in front of the liner that takes up all the room your fog lights dont. Its hard to even get a tube in there to reroute the air from the grille or something thats why the OE tube was so convoluted.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I forgot about the pump. However, I still think it maybe possible. ParaPat's intercooler relocation feeds the pipe through the fender well. It may be possible if the filter is small enough and the pipe is angled a certain way. I can probably confirm this tonight, as that's when I'll be installing the passenger's side intercooler relocation kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the GenuineSaab air intake kit w/ heat shield. I will say that the build quality was excellent and I was very impressed with the factory fitment of the heat shield. GS obviously took great care in designing something of high quality. Oh, and the sound is pretty sweet too! Highly recommend to everyone! Not disappointed in the slightest!

·
Registered
163 Posts
A filter in the fender well is pretty much impossible. There is a vacuum pump in front of the liner that takes up all the room your fog lights dont. Its hard to even get a tube in there to reroute the air from the grille or something thats why the OE tube was so convoluted.
Yeah, when Pat was using my car to mock up the intercooler tubes we tried seeing if there was any way at all to get a filter in behind the fogs lights, but it's just too crowded to use any kind of easily-available filters.

I'm working on modifying the stock snorkel so the inlet points the other way (into the airstream rather than towards the AC condenser and cutting out the slits in the passenger's side false grille. Should help draw some cold air in.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm working on modifying the stock snorkel so the inlet points the other way (into the airstream rather than towards the AC condenser and cutting out the slits in the passenger's side false grille. Should help draw some cold air in.

We are just talking about this in a another thread in this forum.....

Also the Craig heat shield is cheap and probably better then anyone trying to make their own from scratch....

Sean

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the GenuineSaab air intake kit w/ heat shield. I will say that the build quality was excellent and I was very impressed with the factory fitment of the heat shield. GS obviously took great care in designing something of high quality. Oh, and the sound is pretty sweet too! Highly recommend to everyone! Not disappointed in the slightest!
A little add-on to my original comments....

I work as a service advisor at a Nissan dealership and my Nissan Master Technician happened to walk by my car while I was charging the battery in the shop and he couldn't stop talking about what a great air intake kit the GS one was. He said you can really tell that there was a high level of quality there. He was impressed & he's been working on cars for over 30 years now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We are just talking about this in a another thread in this forum.....

Also the Craig heat shield is cheap and probably better then anyone trying to make their own from scratch....

Sean

I was thinking of this type of idea as well, but the more I thought about it, the less I'm sure a cone filter inside the engine cavity is really going to pull air through the stock tubing. Yeah, you may have SOME air pushing into the tube if you're going really fast, ie: highway speeds, but in general I don't think in town driving is going to pull much air through into the engine bay. Who knows? Guess it'd just be more of a trial and error thing. I kinda think the best possible thing to do is just remove or relocate as much out of the engine bay to let her breathe better. I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.