SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at a 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo V6 XWD and loving it.

The danger is falling in love with the car and making sure I don't get in too deep before realizing I may not be ready for the special relationship that is sure to ensue. :cheesy:

So I ask, humbly, current owners about their experience up to now. Generally favorable?

Easy to live with day in day out?

Easy to find the normal items needed for regular maintenance (ie oil changes done anywhere)?

Support for other parts looks to be there. Time waiting may be variable.

My fear is needing a part that will leave me without a car until it is replaced. Then again, I've heard similar stories about Land Rover, Audi, Mercedes, Subaru and Suzuki. So I guess this can't be any worse, can it?;oops:

If I get this car, I really have to make it last as it may be my last, so its gotta be a good 'un!

;ol;

·
Registered
510 Posts
The only service issue is the XWD and ignition coils. 2.8Ts love to eat them. The manual says no service is ever due for the XWD but many are failing or sludging so count on a 40k interval on filter and fluid. Besides that you have normal issues associated with the NG 9-5. Go for it you won't regret it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The only service issue is the XWD and ignition coils. 2.8Ts love to eat them. The manual says no service is ever due for the XWD but many are failing or sludging so count on a 40k interval on filter and fluid. Besides that you have normal issues associated with the NG 9-5. Go for it you won't regret it.
Thanks! ;ol;

Ignition coils (readily available?) and XWD service. What is the make of the XWD? Not same as Volvo? I'll have to do more research on this system.

Can this car be brought to a GM if issues come up? Or better to take it to a independent import garage?

Thankfully it shares a lot with the Buick LaCrosse.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do not hesitate to buy.

I'd love to add another NG 9-5 to our fleet, which would make a 4th SAAB and second NG 9-5 ... but the lack of a 3 or even 2-car garage makes that crazy.

There is a sweet black NG 9-5 Aero available right now for ~$18K from a buddy of mine. A steal!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My '11 NG95 manual just crossed over 50,000 miles. Thus far it has been an uneventful ride. Sourcing parts has mainly been through dealer network since one is very nearby. When service issues arise my indy will perform what's required. The car is a blast to drive and comfortable. Everyday things work far better than previous Saabs. AC and heater are superior to older Saab stuff.
I purposefully avoided purchasing a vehicle with Nav and sunroof and AWD.
Mainly because I don't need these and secondly they seem to create many of the service issues. As with previous Saabs, I find that the mechanical items work fine however the electronics are still just so/so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '11 NG95 manual just crossed over 50,000 miles. Thus far it has been an uneventful ride. Sourcing parts has mainly been through dealer network since one is very nearby. When service issues arise my indy will perform what's required. The car is a blast to drive and comfortable. Everyday things work far better than previous Saabs. AC and heater are superior to older Saab stuff.
Mainly because I don't need these and secondly they seem to create many of the service issues. As with previous Saabs, I find that the mechanical items work fine however the electronics are still just so/so.
Yeah, it seems all the 2011s around here are fully loaded. I like AWD for the winters, but could do without the sunroof, the "tech" package and NAV.

I can get normal wear parts readily from Canadian Tire. Anything more Saab specific I either have to drive 40 mins to the closes "dealer" or order it online and get my garage to install it. As long as current scantools have a setting, it should be good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2011 Turbo 4 with a manual as well. I am at 49k miles and I am loving it. I purposely looked for a manual and purposely bought one without a moonroof or navigation or AWD as well. I figured I would save myself headaches with the AWD and I didn't want to deal with navigation that I may not be able to update one day. So far I do not regret my purchase and have had nothing go wrong with my car besides a crankshaft positioning sensor. It was $70 online with next day shipping and easy to put in. The car has been great in the snow and rain too, but I did buy new Pirellis which also improved road noise. My car has the Hirsch upgrade and I love it. I was scared of buying a car with questionable reliability and part supplies but I don't regret it. It really is a great car. The only thing I wish I had was the upgraded stereo. The sound is weak in Radio or XM Radio but sounds great with the cd or iPod plugged in. My MPG in the warmer weather was around 26 mpg but now that it is winter I am getting 21-22mpg. I would buy one again and you should buy one too! You won't regret it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was in the same situation. I wanted a 9-5 since they first came out in 2010. Couldn't afford $55k of course.

Now the prices are down to a reasonable level. And the more I looked at the 9-5s available on the internet the more I wanted one. I took the plunge and picked up a 2010 Aero about six weeks ago. Had to drive 5 hours to pick it up, but it was well worth it. It is without a doubt the most satisfying car I have ever driven. I can hardly believe a car this good is not still in production.

So far I have replaced the rear, right turn signal bulb and socket and the trunk struts. Got the parts without issue. I'm just past 45K miles.

I hope this car lasts. It is probably the last car I will buy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just posted an answer to the similar question above - I have a 2010 Aero turbo6 XWD with ~25K miles on it. It runs and drives great. The turn signal bulb and drivers side heated seat have failed. The numbers are flaking off the radio. The XWD drive handles the snow very well. For service, my Saab dealer turned into a Chevy dealer, but still has some Saab knowledge (and they took care of my free maintenance after Saab went bankrupt). Parts can be a problem. I plan to drive it for many more years, and hopefully, they will be trouble-free...

If I had to do it over again, I sometimes wish I would have bought a late model year OG 9-5 instead (I'd have it paid off by now). More parts and service available, but the NG 9-5 is a much better car (and I never cared for the last OG 9-5 restyle). I think at the sub-20K price range, it's worth the risk - if you're willing to assume some risk..

Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts