SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would one go about taking the paint of their plastic bumpers? i have airflow bumpers painted with what I assume to be cheap paint from somewhere like maaco. Is there a faster way to take it off than chipping it off with putty knife scraper thing? maybe a heat gun? special plastic paint stripper?

Also, will regular primer and paint work or do i need special plastic stuff or something heavy duty like wheel paint?

Thanks,
-alex

·
Registered
304 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
how would one go about taking the paint of their plastic bumpers? i have airflow bumpers painted with what I assume to be cheap paint from somewhere like maaco. Is there a faster way to take it off than chipping it off with putty knife scraper thing? maybe a heat gun? special plastic paint stripper?

Also, will regular primer and paint work or do i need special plastic stuff or something heavy duty like wheel paint?

Not sure about the stripper.

This thread suggests some here have used "flex" paint. There is also a dye product that's received good reviews.

I'd poke around Eastwood's forums for "stripper" info: I've gotten a lot of good information there.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If I were to do it I'd add a flex agent to the paint.

As far as removing it, you are probably just going to have to scrape, peel and sand it off the best you can. Do a good job though, otherwise you're replacement coat won't stay put. It's all in the prep job.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it seems the surface nderneath the paint is pretty smooth (possibly why it didnt stick very well?, it could also have been old paint. While this could be bad for spray paint, it seems like the smoother the surface the better for the dye stuff. Will this dye work on a large scale like bumpers and side panels?
-Alex

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It might be a good idea to fill any scrapes/scratches, and wet-sand the bumpers, use a good bumper primer and paint right on top. Removing all the old stuff is alot of un-needed work in many cases.

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Bead blasting is best IMO, it removes it from areas that sand paper can't reach and its 100 times faster, you get plastic beads for soft plastic bumpers as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
it seems the surface nderneath the paint is pretty smooth (possibly why it didnt stick very well?, it could also have been old paint. While this could be bad for spray paint, it seems like the smoother the surface the better for the dye stuff. Will this dye work on a large scale like bumpers and side panels?
Can't say, no experience w/it... only what I've read and a couple friends who've done mostly interior plastics w/good results.

The Eastwood Forums are really pretty good... they've got knowledgeable staff that checks in, and some professionals as well. I did quick search, came up with a few hits on "flex paint":

http://snipurl.com/1s51e
http://snipurl.com/1s51l
http://snipurl.com/1s51n

From what I read, responses by guy w/sig:
Chris' Autobody Restoration Service
... struck me as authoritative. F/ex, in 2nd link above he say:

One thing you do need to know is what type of plastic you are repairing. You will have to take your bumper off the car to fix it anyway, so when you do, look for a plastic id. Some plastics need adhesion promoters, some don't.
You are partially right about the trade secrets but it's not our fault. The car manufacurers keep changing the materials used.
Sounds like something I'd want to follow up on... know for sure. Is this for your recently painted Chevy?

Good luck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, that sounds interesting and much faster that peeling it bit by bit. I'll check the bead blasting thing out. I didnt wana paint over it because the paint seems not to adhere to well and I'd hate to have the old stuff bubble or flake off underneath the new stuff.

Also, the SPG panels are glossy (are they painted as well?) so should I sand them down r just rough up the surface?

-Alex

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
It might be a good idea to fill any scrapes/scratches, and wet-sand the bumpers, use a good bumper primer and paint right on top. Removing all the old stuff is alot of un-needed work in many cases.

Good luck,
-Rob
Yep, you need to break out the sandpaper. Don't use any type of chemical stripper, you run the risk of permanently damaging the plastic. Any place the paint is flaking you'll need to bring it down smooth with some failry rough sandpaper.

Sand the entire bumper, I usually go 220-32-400-600 for plastic bumpers. Find a good filler primer, then paint. I'd recommed a satin black, I think it'd add a good bit of contrast to your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts