SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my car it takes a while to warm up. I think this is because as soon as I start the car the fan kicks in. Should it kick in as soon as I start the car? I thought it being a thermo-fan it would only turn on when required instead of on the whole time (And yes I know there is 2 fans but I'm just talking about the one which is not affected by the air-con).

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Could quite possibly have been bypassed to compensate for bad thermostat or radiator induced overheating. Its not uncommon for people to do it to c900s in Aus (as they always show quite high on the gauge when they are infact fine)

If the temp gauge doesn't come off the floor at all consider checking to see if a thermostat is even installed (also not uncommon for silly people to do)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
.......yep, definitely sounds like a odd arrangement there.
Fan shouldn't be active until the A/C is energised or the radiator thermoswitch is tripped.
S900t8v, I think you have summed up the likely scenario.......

I fitted a 89 deg stat recently after the last unit froze open. To date, I have been driving in the last round of 35 - 38 degree C days and been holding my breath but as Jim M has pointed out in the past, when all items are serviceable and working correctly, the needle sits bang on in the middle..............and hasn't drifted too far from that.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
If the thermostat is working properly, shutting off coolant flow to the radiator, the fans running shouldn't make any difference.
I'd start with a thermostat.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Good to see the fan sorted.
It still would be good practice to confirm the thermostat situation.
Usually, the temperature needle should get to around half scale and stay there.........and not get above 2/3 scale in stalled traffic.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
From the temperature readings I recorded using 2 separate temperature probes, needle at horizontal should be indicative of coolant leaving the head at 88-89 deg C. When testing the thermal trip of the radiator thermoswitch, I recorded a peak temperature reading of 93-94 deg C at the head. at this point, the temperature needle hovered around the 2/3 point in the scale.
To give the temperature gauge and wiring some qualification of reading, disconnect the wire to the temperature sender and connect the wire to a 47 ohm resistor and the other end of the resistor to the block. Turn on ignition.......needle should be close to the horizontal point in the scale.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok thanks. Another question is would it be possible to blow your head gasket at idle if temps get up to 120 Celsius? Sorry to the op for thread jacking.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
......? never tried that one!
I can't imagine that situation being too good for the engine at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Me either but i shut off the engine and let it cool down right as the temps were getting up there I don't think there should be damage or if there is It'd just be a matter of replacing the head gasket and possibly getting the head skimmed. Hopefully it didn't though as I dont look forward to having to replace it in the snow outside :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts