SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T, Stage lll ecu, 3" downpipe, 2.5" BSR cat back, 60th Ann wheels.
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My middle muffler has developed a hole.

I am looking around for options to upgrade the exhaust system but haven't decided yet on the best way to go. As a stop gap I was wondering if I could have the guys at the local muffler shop simply cut out the middle muffler and install a piece of pipe.

Has anyone tried this and if so how loud was the exhaust??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
You'll hear more popping and fizzing in the exhaust, but it shouldn't be too loud.......I think. Worst case if it's too loud just get a resonator w/ sound absorption material fitted.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T, Stage lll ecu, 3" downpipe, 2.5" BSR cat back, 60th Ann wheels.
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Middle muffler is gone.

My middle muffler is now history - replaced with a piece of straight pipe by the local muffler guys at lunch today.

This was going to be a temporary fix while I waited for the Simmons catback exhaust to be back in stock. But now I may be waiting for the rear muffler to start to go before I order the catback.

The exhaust without the middle muffler is not that loud. You were right Raven. From the inside of the car there is virtually no difference. And on the outside I am liking the new rumble. Not bad at all.

Total cost was $117 cdn = $117 USA bucks. Total savings from the stock part = $500.

I haven't had the car for a run on the highway yet but I don't expect any problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was curious about doing this as well.

Let us know how loud it is on the highway as i'd steer clear if there was a drone or buzzing noise at that speed.

I'd also like to hear if anyone has had experiences with doing this an adding a general muffler at the back. (Shipping mufflers to oz is ouchie!)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Aeronaut, glad it worked out well for you. I'm also happy to see my theory that tone is muffled in the center and volume muffled in the rear proven. I want my center muffler gone now. :cheesy:

AdrianB said:
I'd also like to hear if anyone has had experiences with doing this an adding a general muffler at the back. (Shipping mufflers to oz is ouchie!)
I put an Apexi N1 60mm on the back when my rear muffler rusted. It has a bit of a rumble too it, but it sounds only slightly louder than stock 95% (below 3500) of the time. The last 5% and from 3500 up at WOT it sounds like a jet is taking off, it's pretty cool. :p

This is with the standard center muffler, I plan on hacking it out and replacing it with a much smaller resonator.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a quick 5km test run on the highway last night and there is no drone or buzzing that I could hear.

The biggest impact is at idle and low revs where you can hear a deeper rumble and when revs are falling there is a more noticeable 'burble'. It is kinda opposite to the mufflers that the civic crowd put on their cars.

I rather like the change and wouldn't have a problem recommending to others to have this done especially if your middle muffler looks like it is ready to go.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Aeronaut said:
I did a quick 5km test run on the highway last night and there is no drone or buzzing that I could hear.

The biggest impact is at idle and low revs where you can hear a deeper rumble and when revs are falling there is a more noticeable 'burble'. It is kinda opposite to the mufflers that the civic crowd put on their cars.

I rather like the change and wouldn't have a problem recommending to others to have this done especially if your middle muffler looks like it is ready to go.

Hello,

i would love to hear your Sound with the original Exhaust system without middle muffler.

Could you please make some records with your Handy or so?

Thank you!

B.Regards

·
Registered
127 Posts
PHP:
 Total cost was $117 cdn = $117 USA bucks.
What?!? There goes the Canadian strip club advantage..:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sounds sweet, welcome to the "stock exhaust with resonator delete" club

I got mine done a few months ago, and now I want a remus...

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
ACBarnett said:
Sounds sweet, welcome to the "stock exhaust with resonator delete" club

I got mine done a few months ago, and now I want a remus...
You don't need a remus, just put a sport muffler on the back.

Now I'm seriously debating whether I want to put in the sport resonator I got or just do a straight pipe.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brad34 said:
PHP:
 Total cost was $117 cdn = $117 USA bucks.
What?!? There goes the Canadian strip club advantage..:cheesy:
The rate is even better today $1 cdn is worth $1.02 usa. If you want a deal in the clubs heading to mexico may be your best bet now, or anywhere in New Jersey.

Had the car for a two hour run on the highway yesterday and is was great. I swear the car had more pull. It may be due to the new set of plugs I put in the day before as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i actually got my middle exhaust taken out about 8 months ago, and then replaced the rear muffler with a magnaflow, it sounds pretty awesome

kinda ricey, but thats what i was going for

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I WANT.

Any chance of an in-car video clip with the engine under load? My '04 Aero has a little bit of a rumble to it the way it is, but I want more! Thanks!

By the way, when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? Your pump is whining like crazy. I replaced my filter and it quieted down quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
hah, yeah i love the sound man. nah i dont have an in car vid yet but i'll make one tom. theirs no droning or anything while just cruising or whatever though which is nice. but when your under WOT from a dead stop and the windows down you def. hear alittle more pep then the stock exhaust lol its so cheap to do though too. i took it to midas and they were gonna charge me 150, but then the guy in charge was like "if you pay me personally i'll just make it 100 haha. apprently he was low on money or something but hey saved me some dough.

hahah. i have no idea. prolly never unless the previous owner did. im at 72K. you think its time to replace it? lol. i guess i should anyway. its an easy enough job

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think I just added this to my list. It seems like every time I cross something off, something new gets tacked on the bottom. :confused: lol

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice man, I cut out the resonator and my muffler, so straight pipe to a dual 3in tip, I dont want to post a vid, because its sounds like crap on my crappy camera, but its nice :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts