SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
painted doesnt look like 93 though
i saw some 900 from 1995 with this "thing" taken out but there was no hole in there (it was a white saab). i wonder if those holes would be visible in my black saab.

·
Registered
713 Posts
im confused is that reflector on all ng900s, if so the guy b4 me musta removed that cuz i dont have it

·
Registered
713 Posts
gotcha cool

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
On older NG900s it is a plain, body colored panel rather than the reflective one. Its not recessed in the middle like 9-3s though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
i was jus wonderin cz my plate is on the lower but the upper is the body colorpanel

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
rc89pl said:
painted doesnt look like 93 though
i saw some 900 from 1995 with this "thing" taken out but there was no hole in there (it was a white saab). i wonder if those holes would be visible in my black saab.
Yea I know what you're talking about but that's a real PITA to do.

First of all, you'll need to relocate the license plate lights then you have to fill all the license plate holes as well as the mounting holes for the reflector. After the paint job you still have to deal with the rear fogs needing to be capped on the ends. They're not like the 9-3's fogs they have a hole on the inner side towards the middle of the hatch.

It would be easier (and probably cheaper) to buy a 9-3 hatch of the same color as your car on craiglist locally ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I painted my reflector with window tint for model cars I picked up at a hobby shop. It comes in small cans and runs 5-6 bucks. I used two cans.
I'm happy with the results. More coats of course make it darker so you can adjust to your liking.
Anything is better than that huge *** reflector :eek:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
It's a question of taste. I really like my reflector :cheesy:

I meant replacing the trunk your NG900 with a trunk from a OG9-3 1999-2002. You'll have to replace the tail lights and the filler panels that go under the taillights. You'll also fave to drill an extra hole for each tail light :cheesy:.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
rc89pl said:
why do You think i have a hatchback?

does the trunk from 93 convertible match my 900se?
I don't I made an error describing it. Yes it matches the car minus the reflector. But you still need to replace the tail lights and the plastic pieces that go under the piece. You'll also have to drill a hole for each of the new tail lights. The conversion, if the parts are black (very popular color).

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
you take of the carpet interior. It's held on by clips tha you need to turn 1/4 turn to release with a flat screwdriver. I have the hatchback model and that has a few screws. I assume yours is the same but in diffrent place and there's an interior handle on mine held on with 2 Torx screws.

Once the carpet is removed, there are about 8 nuts holding that reflector on the car IIRC. That's it. Not too hard to remove at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used several sheets of newspaper and masking tape instead of removing the rear panel. Hell it turned out great. Just use masking tape over your SAAB symbol and cut around it with a razor blade. It's super easy. I then wiped off the reflector with isopropanol and began painting.
I applied numerous light coats. I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i was looking at it and realized it is too much playing with completely removing it.

Heath, and others who did it - can You post pictures of the results of painting this panel?

any ideas how to get those badges:

It comes out from this saab:

"The Gryphon" :) :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
rc89pl said:
i was looking at it and realized it is too much playing with completely removing it.

Heath, and others who did it - can You post pictures of the results of painting this panel?

any ideas how to get those badges:

It comes out from this saab:

"The Gryphon" :) :)
minus the lambo doors, thats one sexy *** saab

1 - 20 of 23 Posts