SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though the T8 Suite softwares "Tune me up" function only raises some limits in some of the maps, which I have found that will give you some added power, the real power comes once you start messing with the fuel and timing. I have attached a VS comparisson dyno with only limits raised vs actuallly tuning the fuel/timing etc. Also a quit teaser for all that read this. I will be heading down to JZW sometime this week to try out a new stage 3 tune he has tweaked. So more power here we come! ;ol; Im sure ill do a quit write up about it as well to discuss the differences. (if any)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Finally we know what "tune me up" does haha but how much more power are we talking? Did you get dyno'ed or is this on your computer?? Give me the details!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm heading to Johns tonight to have the new tune flashed, then Ill have a 60 mile drive back home to test it out. As far as how much more power, Im not sure, he hasnt said. He just said he has a new stage 3 that he has put out and that it should put out more power etc. And yes those were dyno runs that we made on my car awhile back while we were tuning my car the first time, and you can see when we just raised the limits not much of anything, until he actually started playing with the fuel and ignition.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
GOOD ive been looking for an excuse to send my ecu out to john to get the limiter removed and reflashed i needa get it done before the 15th though so i hope you do good ;ol;

oh and are you running a wide band? because i hope you keep an eye on those afr's

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One word, WOW! This made quite a big difference for me up here at altitude, and we also got to play with some of the live tuning features of T8 suite (I dont think all of it is implemented though). He tuned it, then we went on a drive looking at all of the data. We then pulled up the knock map, saw a couple places where the knocks were higher than we liked, so he readjusted the timing, and WOW, the 60 mile drive home was a lot more fun that the 60 drive up there. It feels a lot more responsive in all gears, and im now boosting close to 18 lbs up here at 5900'.

GOOD ive been looking for an excuse to send my ecu out to john to get the limiter removed and reflashed i needa get it done before the 15th though so i hope you do good ;ol;

oh and are you running a wide band? because i hope you keep an eye on those afr's
To answer your question Paco, I do not have a wideband unfortunately. However we were able to see exactly where it was knocking and we were able to correct for that. Also this tune is not really all that much different than my original file, so the A/F should be pretty much identical to my original tune which we did have a wideband on it for that one.

We also talked about an E85 tune for me. Although I will not be getting the larger turbo yet. We are in the preliminary stages of talking about me swapping over to E-85. And while it is still just the preliminary talks. There is a good possibility it will happen sometime in the next few months. And from what John is saying, he is thinking I should be able to get sea level power up here at altitude, and if I went down sea level.....make sure to buy new tires :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
hopefully he has an updated stage 3 for linears because im sending my ecu out in 2 weeks for him to tweek. and by no limiters, do you guys mean no torque limiters in 1st and 2nd? or top speed limiters and such

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
One word, WOW! This made quite a big difference for me up here at altitude, and we also got to play with some of the live tuning features of T8 suite (I dont think all of it is implemented though). He tuned it, then we went on a drive looking at all of the data. We then pulled up the knock map, saw a couple places where the knocks were higher than we liked, so he readjusted the timing, and WOW, the 60 mile drive home was a lot more fun that the 60 drive up there. It feels a lot more responsive in all gears, and im now boosting close to 18 lbs up here at 5900'.

To answer your question Paco, I do not have a wideband unfortunately. However we were able to see exactly where it was knocking and we were able to correct for that. Also this tune is not really all that much different than my original file, so the A/F should be pretty much identical to my original tune which we did have a wideband on it for that one.

We also talked about an E85 tune for me. Although I will not be getting the larger turbo yet. We are in the preliminary stages of talking about me swapping over to E-85. And while it is still just the preliminary talks. There is a good possibility it will happen sometime in the next few months. And from what John is saying, he is thinking I should be able to get sea level power up here at altitude, and if I went down sea level.....make sure to buy new tires :cheesy:
so you pretty much just played with peak intake, timing and thats it? no fuel adjustment? and yeah what alex said did you happen to get rid of the limiter in first in second because that **** has been killing me on the road.

also i seem to remember someone saying do not use the tune me up.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so you pretty much just played with peak intake, timing and thats it? no fuel adjustment? and yeah what alex said did you happen to get rid of the limiter in first in second because that **** has been killing me on the road.

also i seem to remember someone saying do not use the tune me up.
He had the tune ready for me when i got there so im not 100 percent sure what exactly he changed. But after we played with the "live tuning" from T8 Suite, I do know that he was just messing with the timing. But I asked him if this was a major change, and he said "no, its just subtle, but seems to help" and sure enough, it did! So im assuming that I wasnt the first person with this tune if he knew that it helped, granted mine is more custom, as we tweaked it with the help of the "live data" we were able to read while on the road.

I just did highway driving last night, and wasnt really paying attn to my first or second gear. I did glance at my peak boost in 2nd though and it did hit 15 (which prior I was only hitting maybe 11) Although it doesnt stay up there for long. But if I get out on the road today Ill see if I notice what happens in first gear.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
eh, its what ever i just wanna send out my ecu to get rid of the speed limiter.

and get an updated tune.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Paco, in first gear im getting up to around 10 or 11 on boost which is better than the 7 I was getting previous. (your numbers will vary at sea level)

As far as what was changed in the new Tune, John emailed me and actually he did change the fueling, ignition, and a few other things. But Im not able to get A/F ratio since I do not have a wideband.

The main point of this thread though is not the new stage 3 tune, but rather the fact that most if not all of the tuning is actually done in the fueling, and ignition maps with our car which is the skill and knowledge part of the tuning. Just raising limiters (as in what T8 Suites "tune me up" does) does little if any as noted by the graph I posted up top, the smaller numbers are basically a "Tune me up" scenario, where the higher numbers are once John started actually tuning the car, and still is fine tuning (pun intendid :lol:) his stage tunes. I look forward to pursuing the E-85 Tune next so hopefully that one gets fine tuned as well....Then dare I say....Time for a bigger turbo :lol:

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
ok well thats all good to know i emailed john earlier hoping he could do a little on the tune for me and remove the limiter.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
So, what is the current state of the T8 Suite, and does this mean that custom tunes by JZW based on data logs of individual cars could now be done much more conveniently and inexpensively? I'd do it in a heartbeat for my linear if it'll produce real gains. I won't pay $800 or even $500 for an ECU flash from BSR, Hirsch, etc. considering the gains are minimal, but I would pay a reasonable amount for a custom tune based on a data log from my car.

Bonus points if I can apply additional tweaks, and if the software visually indicates knocking and resultant timing retardation. I had a custom PROM burned for my ZR-1 and the results were amazing - far more than one would expect from just a chip swap (got down to 4.1-4.2 sec 0-60), rev limiter raised to 7200rpm, and fan thermostat lowered in addition to timing and fuel curves. If all that is possible on my 9-3 with the T8 Suite I definitely want in on it. It'd be nice to get up to 60 in under a week. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, what is the current state of the T8 Suite, and does this mean that custom tunes by JZW based on data logs of individual cars could now be done much more conveniently and inexpensively? I'd do it in a heartbeat for my linear if it'll produce real gains. I won't pay $800 or even $500 for an ECU flash from BSR, Hirsch, etc. considering the gains are minimal, but I would pay a reasonable amount for a custom tune based on a data log from my car.

Bonus points if I can apply additional tweaks, and if the software visually indicates knocking and resultant timing retardation. I had a custom PROM burned for my ZR-1 and the results were amazing - far more than one would expect from just a chip swap (got down to 4.1-4.2 sec 0-60), rev limiter raised to 7200rpm, and fan thermostat lowered in addition to timing and fuel curves. If all that is possible on my 9-3 with the T8 Suite I definitely want in on it. It'd be nice to get up to 60 in under a week. :)
You should contact John to see what he is charging, his webpage says to call for price, Also tell him exactly what you are looking for. John is very knowledgeable and can answer most of your questions and let you know what is possible.

As far as applying your own tweaks, I guess you could, however you will be flashing over CAN, and with that said if anything goes wrong you will need to do one of two things. Either try and recover through BDM (I dont know how good you are with electronics but its a pain in the *****) Or buy a new ECU then have it married to your car.

As far as what you can see in T8 suite, download it and check it out, its free....Just install on a Windows XP machine, I have trouble running it on Windows 7 64bit.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
im gonna pick up a spare ecu and order the tuner so im gonna start doing my own tuning now. skipping the hassle of trying to communicate with john will be worth it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
downloaded the bin file from ecu using t8 suite via elm327. when trying to open the bin file using t8 suite, it said "file not a bin format".

any clue?

cheerios...:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
i was trying on a buddy's car instead. sure i guessed that most, if not all, tuned files would be locked.

thanks john.

cheerios...;ol;

1 - 20 of 22 Posts