SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've recently bought a 9-3 Aero-HOT, so have decided to tare apart my 900T8 and rebuild it.

Basically I want as good a 8v engine as possible, so am open to suggestions... Also on suspension mods... please feel free to suggest BIG power gain optionjs, I will be using it as a track car eventually!

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
You can get a lot of poer out of a T8 and when things go bang it's cheaper to get replacements than a 16v. Besides, it's good fun chasing the people with too many valves :D

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
While I don't want to encourage these people who don't have their full complement of valves ;) , there are some rather quick T8's about. Search around for stuff on the cars of JohnW, pda, Saab Daniel, to name a few (apologies if I missed anyone).

Suspension? Konis all round. Or Bilsteins. Or Sachs. Kilen springs or Lesjöfors. Remove front anti sway bar. Stiffen up rear springs. Etc, etc. Have fun :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Keep the T8

Come on and join the T8 appreciation society!!!!!!

I guess T8's have the same limiting factor of the T16's ie the dredded gear box so although you can mess with a T16 a bit more, chipping the ECU etc T8's are far cooler!!!!!

+ we only have to replace 1 cam, at £220 a time that's just saved you £220!!!!

Open air filter, 3" downpipe to 2 1/2" back box & tail pipe, FMIC, APC mod & a fast road cam would get you started.

Is it a 2 or 3 door? Weld your boot lid shut if it's a 3 door so you can get 2 door body stiffness:cheesy: then maybe re-weld all the wheel arches as there only spot welded.

If it's for track only all you need is a drivers seat on the inside, the rest can go!

I think it's better to remove the anti roll bars on the front aswell, then poly brushes sports spring's and shocks will definitely help the ride/cornering.

Good luck, hope to see you on the track!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Basre said:
Instal the 16 v engine.. from the last of the C900's. and then put a 2.3 Head on it.
I,am thinking about a 2.3 head but wich other mods needs to be done?

Sorry to use your post martin ;)

Gr, Bennie

·
Registered
499 Posts
Depends which 2.3 head. 2.1 and -93 2.3 heads are the same and will bolt up to a B202 bottom end without modifications. Best to use a 2.1 intake manifold too.

Later 2.3 heads from NG900s and 9000s will fit too, but these require some modifications to the timing cover, engine mount and power steering. It's been a discussed topic before, I'm sure you can search for more info.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
T8's are Sick baby.........

there is also the sleeper/stealth factor to use ;)

just do a search plenty on the forum about fast & bl00dy fast T8's :cool: :cool:

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vince T said:
Depends which 2.3 head. 2.1 and -93 2.3 heads are the same and will bolt up to a B202 bottom end without modifications. Best to use a 2.1 intake manifold too.

Thanks for your Quick answer! ;)

Vince T said:
I'm sure you can search for more info.
Do you have a link may by?

And what about the camshafts? ;oops:

Camshafts: Suggest either 88+turb 252dur equal lobe Intake cam and using the normal exhaust cam (not the 2.3L) w/ adj cam gears. The idea is to delay the intake cam from closing so the compression ratio is reduced farther from slight reversion. After 40deg from ABDC, the compression ratio will reduce w/ late In valve closing. Another alternative might be the swedish dynamic Intake cam. Normal stock overlap should be fine for the setup. Basis being b/c the pressure ratio is close to 1:1 for 2.0L w/ 9:1 using T3, guess what the pressure ratio would be for a 2.1 or 2.0L w/ 10:1 using a T25. You will end up w/ more exh manifold press than intake press so less overlap is needed. Duration is chosen on basis of how high you want to rev and where you want the horses.
Another idea that has recently come to my attention is to extremely retard the intake timing to lower the effective compression ration w/o cylinder head modification, similar to the miller engine concept. With a 2/70 intake cam, theoretically would allow room for 14psi of boost! I'm still researching the idea and will give it a try sometime down the line

What do they mean with 88+turb 252dur equal lobe Intake cam?

Info from:http://webusers.physics.umn.edu/~nmoore/saab/lpt_conversion_files/lpt_conversion.html

Gr, Bennie

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Saabine started life as a T8... ;)

(Got her to well over 200 bhp before converting to 16v, too!)

pda said:
T8's are Sick baby.........

there is also the sleeper/stealth factor to use ;)

just do a search plenty on the forum about fast & bl00dy fast T8's :cool: :cool:

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
RoccoH said:
A 1988-1993 intake camshaft for a Turbo with a opening duration of 252 msec(?) and I guess equal lobe means that the opening and closing profiles of the cam lobes are similar.

You already have this cam in your car! ;) (Saab P/N: 75 60 808)
Yes but when i am using a 2.3 head then i need the 2.0 turbo cam, right!?;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
not if the 2.3 head already has a turbo intake cam! ;) I think the early 2,3 heads from before 1989 were only non turbo so guess you have to swap it with a turbo intake cam. I don't think you really need it to let the car run and drive perfectly normal. But since you're on a quest for more power, well... :)
I think you're probably one of the few visitors around here on saabcentral who will understand me when I say that: "you won't turn your hand around for that!" :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts