SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep I'm at it again! (sorry Tomarse but you got me thinking!)

I was wondering if you could add a thermistor to the max boost part of the circuit.

Would it be worth having the max boost alter depending on the outside/engine bay air temp, essentially which ever is going to give the closest reading of air temp at the inlet?

In theory the car could run at higher boost when the air being sucked in is cooler and then drop it a bit when the temp is higher - maybe?????

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'm glad i got you thinking! - saves me having to do it! :lol:

I don't really know enough about the APC yet, but my uneducated assumptions is that the easiest way to do this would be to just work out the best APC setup for a certain temperature, and then use a temperature sensor to switch to the most appropriate one.

I suppose that you could rig up your thermistor to actually directly influence the value of the pots on the APC - but youre going to have to sit and do a fair bit of testing and tweaking first.
If you knew what values are best for your APC and how they compare to the temperature (and therefore what the equivalent reading off the thermistor would be at that temp), then you could probably work out some way to get 'em together!..

Just by having driven a car through the last 6 months or so - there is definately a performance difference between hot and cold weather, and this could help.

P.S - i did a speedy intercooler install last night using your bit of pipe, and i can now hit my overboost switch with great ease! ;)
Did you hear how much my car was popping when i left your place yesterday? :eek:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
popping

Yea, thought it was automatic gun fire, not unusual for Birmingham:cheesy:

I was thinking about it yesterday(backfiring), it can be caused by vac leak in the inlet can't it?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Intereseting notion.. But if you've owned yr Saab for a while you would have noticed that Exactly that happens :)
Lower ambient temps and boost goes higher, Hot out and boost desn't climb as high..
Who woulda Thought?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
temp to performance

Maybe the other way around so that it up's the boost slightly in hot weather????

It's one of the reasons i want to do water injector at some point, car runs wickedly when it's really damp, but of course the roads are wet so you can't make the most of it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts