SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stage 3+ ecu upgrade. What should I expect for a HP increase after installing the T5 cam?

Saab 9-3 2002 SE

·
Registered
620 Posts
spot on.
i haven't seen figures, but while the max hp goes up by 20, the rest of the time you get a bigger hp increase too.
maybe punchy in a better word, with higher lift you let out more exhaust gasses which means your turbo lag is reduced just a touch.

chuck a 2.3 crank in and you'll get a 50nm torque increase (this was insane fun on mine).
make sure you get 225x45r17 tyres or else you will spin wheels like a nutter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The car already spins like crazy with that tire size on it. Haha.

How much is a 2.3 crank?
td04 turbo, t5 cams, exhaust, tune (about 18psi) will give you 300hp which is the max your pistons can take.

Get a 2.3 crank, rods and pistons out of a 9000 aero or cse. Then you can machine the td04 out to an 18t compressor wheel, fit a 7cm exhaust housing, and larger injectors (bigger than green giants, i have 1000cc). you'll run around 22-25psi and those pistons handle up to 450hp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
•Stage 3+ ECU
•Front mount inter cooler
•Sport tranny mount
•Viggen clutch
•3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator
•3 inch down pipe + Cat back exhaust
•Cold air intake (for the bypass dump, like to hear it haha)
• Forge bypass valve

After the tune I put
•turbo pipe
(Next up is the cams)

With everything on now not including the cams, I peak at 25 psi and the drop down steady to 21-22. Without the turbo pipe, the tuner told me that the ecu was scratching at 300bhp. How much do you think is at the wheels?

Do you think I'm crazy to rebuild the car one day? Or should I get my hands on an aero, viggen instead of an SE for a rebuild of interior and exterior and engine?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Which turbo pipe?

For air filter>turbo get a 9-5 aero pipe (i think its 9-5 aero, about 50% more flow)
For intercooler>inlet manifold, keep the factory black plastic pipe. The aluminium pipes get heat soaked so the air is less dense, and the larger diameter means you lose boost pressure. The Abbot Racing pipes are all show unless you're making 700+hp.

Before you get the cams, put a 7cm exhaust housing on your turbo. It'll cost under $200, and your EGT's will drop significantly which means more reliability.

T5 Cams, turbo exhaust housing, and turbo inlet pipe will be a great upgrade to your car.

I doubt it would be real 300hp, and definitely not at the wheels. With the mods I've listed you'll get a performance bump and that will be the max safe output.

Next stage is 2.3, 18t compressor wheel, bigger injectors. should get 400hp.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
The T5 cams are less "punchy", they move the power band up, so it will feel like you have less torque, but more mid-upper range power.
Put it on dyno, all cars are different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts