SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am new to saab, just got my 2000 9-3 today, and from what I understand I have a T7. I really wanted to get a bov that will give me that lovely woosh sound, but Ive read some stuff that leads me to believe its not gonna happen because of t7 management. Can someone maybe clear this up for me for good and let me know if I can install a bov that will give me the woosh im lookin for. and if not, do I have any other options?

·
Registered
956 Posts
formula said:
So i am new to saab, just got my 2000 9-3 today, and from what I understand I have a T7. I really wanted to get a bov that will give me that lovely woosh sound, but Ive read some stuff that leads me to believe its not gonna happen because of t7 management. Can someone maybe clear this up for me for good and let me know if I can install a bov that will give me the woosh im lookin for. and if not, do I have any other options?
no you can not put a bov on your car. t7 is what you have and with t7 it meters the incoming air via a maf on the intake and a bov would bypass that and cause a cel and make it run poorly. your only other alternative is to put an open air cone filter intake on the car to make the turbo more audible and you will get a little bit of whoosh from the valve. the stock part is a bpv (bypass valve). it sends that charged air back into the intake to the turbo, where as a bov sends it out to the atmosphere. yes you can upgrade the bpv/diverter valve with say a forge or hyperboost but its honestly not worth it until you up the boost since you wont get any extra performance from it unless your stock one is damaged. so while your stock save your money for other worthwhile mods. when you go to do an ecu tune then get an upgraded bpv

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, I wondered the same and actually considered quite a few options until realizing that it isn't worth the money or effort for a sound. Here's a link to the thread where I asked the same question... goes into several ideas if you REALLY insist on making this happen.

http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23058&highlight=BOV+FTW

By the way, I currently have an open air intake and full exhaust... the turbo is plenty loud (loud enough to turn heads at school when I drive by :cheesy: ).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrighty then.... thanks a bunch guys for clearing that up. Im putting an exhaust on this week. Im going to have it done at a custome exhuast shop, any ideas on the size exhaust? is 3inch overkill? and im plannin on goin catless too any opinions on that? and i guess while im at it, for the intake, i pretty much have to make one myself, right? (not that thats a problem)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info on the intake... im probly order it today, and no i dont watch it, lol.... im assumin my name sparked that question, and I own a formula boat, so for the past few years ive used the name formula wit everything...lol i just like it and remember it... but as for the exhuast, 3 inch catless sound good or a lil much?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went down to Springfield with a few other Saabs last month and if I remember correctly one of the guys had a custom turboback exhaust job, 3 inches all the way. It sounded pretty good but was also a 2005 model year. I think you will be just fine with the 3", especially if you plan on heavy modding.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
formula said:
You do have a T7, this means that you want a BPV, not a BOV. I put an after market BPV on my '02 and it souds very very good. Not to brag, just wanted you to know that you dont need a blow off valve to get the sweet sounds.

·
Registered
428 Posts
An aftermarket BPV is generally for those whose stock OEM ones have broken. No amount of modding will call for an aftermarket BPV, unless of course your turbo sounds like a hoot, which means your stock one is failing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts