SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Saab31 said:
Do we have to drive our cars so hard and so long in order to get the best results from a modified ECU and if yes how long would this last until the time comes where, we have to do this again?

Saab31
Ohh what a load of twaddle :x just drive like you normally would. The ECU works on averages, not one shot blasts down the road. For general day to day driving you really need to give the ecu a couple of weeks to get into full singing order. :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm not so sure this is the same for T7.

Adopting the drive like you stole it method certainley worked for restoring the :cheesy: factor on my old 9000 Aero, as I would notice the performance fade after a few months of general driving/commuting. But then a battery disconnect and readaption worked the same way.

However, I've had my 9-5 Aero for nearly a year doing the same commute and I've not noticed any fading of performance in the same way the old 9000 Aero used to do....??
So far not needed to resort to the drive like you stole it method with the 9-5 Aero...???

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Saab31 said:
Do we have to drive our cars so hard and so long in order to get the best results from a modified ECU and if yes how long would this last until the time comes where, we have to do this again?

Saab31
This is based on some reality though as the ECU will constantly adapt to the conditions it faces. Pulling Fuse 17 or disconnecting the battery for a while will lose these learnt settings and the ECU can then be adapted to "full" potential.

So resetting before a dyno run, or a track day may well make sense. In a daily situation it will soon adapt back to its learnt settings again so any boost will be short lived.

However the ECU learns good stuff too, like how to be efficient etc which will be lost in any resetting too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I think i'll still drive normal as always and sometimes WOT to remind the ECU, that it's a stage 3 and not a stock one! :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For whatever reason, there is some truth to this. I spent a couple days driving with my wife and kids in the car and never going past 1/2 throttle or so. Well once I took out the booster seats and got her all to myself, I was able to step on it again without fear of smacks from the passenger seat and the thing was a straight up dog untill I ran through a few gears at WOT and then it settled back to normal. I have also found that resetting the ECU does make the car faster until it adapts back to normal but I believe this has more to do with mods not accounted for in my software than anything else. I think there was a very long thread about adaptation...let me see if I can find it and post a link.

This might provide some info...I think there is a lot of speculation involved with the whole adaptation process and how it works.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45306

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
T7 adapts, quite quickly at that, when i was on the dyno, between the first and second runs there was adeviation of 20whp at lower rpms, and then another 5 whp in that same power band, so it def adapts, i noticed this on 3 different occasions on the dyno.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Call me unenlightened, but "wot" does WOT stand for? And are we essentially saying that any new ECU, or an ECU that "thinks its new" due to battery disconnect, will take a couple of weeks of driving to adapt to full potential?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
WOT - wide open throttleAnd yes they all adapt, cos Trionic 7 is damn clever ;)

In fact they will be adapting all the time, not just when new/reset ;)

·
Registered
596 Posts
LOL...when my 6 year old first heard my new exhaust he went "Whooooaa cool motor!"
Well - when my 18 yr old fledgling tuner (he doesn't have a Saab, but at least a german vehicle, the make of which I won't mention here) heard my new 3" all the way back with race cat, even he thought it was too loud: "Dad - come on,get the resonator. You sound kind of like a...RICER!"

Needless to say,the resonator goes on next week...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts