SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to use t5 suite on a pre 1994 car, assuming that the correct ecu is used, and all the other engine hardware is replaced for the stuff that trionic uses?

reason is that i am looking at buying a 1992 9000 cse for its engine, and mounting it rwd with a ford type 9 gearbox in a se7en clone. i have the gearbox already mounted in the car.

but i would really like to use the t5 suite, as i can see that it beats an aftermarket ecu into the ground.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Probably not on a 92

BUT YES kind of

I have a 93 9000griffin.
I think this is the first year for the Trionic T5.2. (ECU tuned to Stage II.)

And it was only used for 1 year and then upgraded to T5.5.

T5 suite is no use for the Jetronic type ECUs.

So the key is to find what kind of ECU it is.

Take off the Acquarium cover, and check the ECU.

If it is a T5 you will see a sticker on the ECU, it will have numbers:
AFM5 2xxx for the early Trionic, and AFM5 5xxx for 1994 on.

However - people have grafted T5 harnesses and ECUs into older cars.
Apparently the CPS in a 93 T5.2 car is the same as earlier models, so if you were retrofitting an earlier car you would not have to worry about mounting a letter model CPS and the attendant issues of making a mounting for the CPS unit.

Take a look at Grentarc's thread on retrofitting an Aero motor into a 9000turbo.

Check out "For those not on the ECUProject, and go and have a look at the Trionic 5 section of the ECUProject.

To be honest, if it is special project and you want a Saab motor why not try for a 94 on 2.3 turbo.

These are good for very close to 300hp with a TD04 turbo, and a Stage III ECU tune.

T5.2 ECUs are not easy to find, T5.5 ECUs are easier to find, I have just bought 2 ECUs off Ebay.

/R

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason i am thinking of doing it on a pre 94 is that in new zealand (where i live) saabs are hard to come by. i know the great potential of these motors, (had an 89 9000 which made 250whp with minimal mods)

i am no stranger to wiring in cars, as i recently fitted a megasquirt which i assembled myself to a mitsubishi starion with a 4g64 and made over 350 at the wheels.

and at the moment the only candidate for the transplant is a 92 9000 cse which is for sale.

there are other parts available for these over here though, just engines are hard to come by. (generally need to buy a whole car jsut for the motor.)

thanks for your input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on a side note, if i were to splash out about $3000 more and get a post 94 aero rather than the 92 cse i am looking at, would it be possible to keep the traction control?
traction control systems are pretty simple. usually just a couple of wheel speed sensors, and some math in the ecu which then retards timing when the difference between front and rear is too much.

if i were to find a way to mount the vss's in the rear of my se7en, would i be able to keep it?

tcs is hugely valuable in a car which weighs under 600kg. especially with over 300hp

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I am in Southland.

I know where there is a CDE with a blown auto trans
330000km on it, might be a better candidate than an earlier 9000.

2.3 motor and either T5.2 or T5.5 ECU

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Rawill I am working on converting a 93 9000 back to standard throttle body. My understanding is I need to “flash” my ECU to t5. Do you know a site or anything about doing that?
Steve

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yes I know about flashing a T5 ECU, please send me a PM.

If you want to read heaps, it is a bit technical, but go see the Ecuproject.com

Download the T5 suite from Dilemma at Mobix.eu, and read up on the documentation.

/Rbn

·
Registered
233 Posts
is it possible to use t5 suite on a pre 1994 car, assuming that the correct ecu is used, and all the other engine hardware is replaced for the stuff that trionic uses?

reason is that i am looking at buying a 1992 9000 cse for its engine, and mounting it rwd with a ford type 9 gearbox in a se7en clone. i have the gearbox already mounted in the car.

but i would really like to use the t5 suite, as i can see that it beats an aftermarket ecu into the ground.
a 1992 model uses a jetronic lh 2.4.2 system. i am investigating how to flash these as it appears nobody seems to do anything with them. i have found that by bypassing the apc and using a manual boost controller instead opens them up a fair ammount but requires high octane fuel and an engine knock light wiring up to keep it safe. i know how to wipe the eprom in the ecu and how to program it but i dont know what parameters to programme it with.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
a 1992 model uses a jetronic lh 2.4.2 system. i am investigating how to flash these as it appears nobody seems to do anything with them. i have found that by bypassing the apc and using a manual boost controller instead opens them up a fair ammount but requires high octane fuel and an engine knock light wiring up to keep it safe. i know how to wipe the eprom in the ecu and how to program it but i dont know what parameters to programme it with.
If you get over to the Ecuproject you might find some interesting stuff on tuning.

http://forum.ecuproject.com/forumdisplay.php?26-LH2.2-2.4-and-Megasquirt

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
seems like u r one of the few people on here who know their saabs inside out. ;ol;
I wish, I haven't done anything to my 92 900s except drive it. But I do spend a bit of time on here and over at the ecuproject trying to learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts