SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the pinout for a T5 ECU? I want to use an AEM EMS and would like to start making an adpter harness before I pick up the EMS. Any ideas about issues I will run into with doing this? I'm ready to scrifice the use of a DIC and convert to MSD ignition if I can't make a DIC work, but it would be nice to make this as painless as possible (yeah right). Any comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
Does anyone have the pinout for a T5 ECU? I want to use an AEM EMS and would like to start making an adpter harness before I pick up the EMS. Any ideas about issues I will run into with doing this? I'm ready to scrifice the use of a DIC and convert to MSD ignition if I can't make a DIC work, but it would be nice to make this as painless as possible (yeah right). Any comments are welcome.
Here is a summary of the pinsout, for further info refer to WIS
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/pins1_42.jpg
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/pins43_68.jpg
Get the BPV from T7 car, since it is 1-coil design compared to the 2-coil which is utilized in T5.

With AMS you will need to run wastespark, non sequental if you're not going to mount a cam shaft position sensor. T5/T7 cars dont have it (does not need it) since engine is synced based on combustion signals which come from the DI. Nira is the only standalone which can utilize those signals.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a WIS, but can't find the pinouts...can I get a hint? The thing is complicated to navigate...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will most likely not get Nira because it is twice the price of an AEM EMS plus I'm not familiar with it. I just might have to find a way to install a cam position sensor. I just want an easier way to tune than to get staged ECU's ... my goals are not along the staged path...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
I have a WIS, but can't find the pinouts...can I get a hint? The thing is complicated to navigate...
look under
engine
Trionic 5
and then click on the technical data symbol (the first from left)
Click "test readings, control module connections"
There you will find the basic data.
Wiring diagrams are located under "wiring diagram" symbol (the 3rd from left)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
I will most likely not get Nira because it is twice the price of an AEM EMS plus I'm not familiar with it. I just might have to find a way to install a cam position sensor. I just want an easier way to tune than to get staged ECU's ... my goals are not along the staged path...
BTW what is the price for AEM (a full EMS, not piggy) had a quick look and found as a 2700$. Add the coilpacks etc. and you're surely over the Nira price for good:cheesy: Dont know the price for Nira in Us, but should be around 2400$

But I'm with you on that one the if goals are set high enough staged tunes are not the way to go, assuming of course that one is capable of running a standalone, since mapping it externally will rack a bill up pretty fast.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I can get AEM EMS for around 1500 plus whatever else I'll need. As far far as coilpacks go...I think I'll just use ones off of a late model accord or soemthing... I'm pretty sure I can do the basic set-up myself and than have it dyno tuned once it runs...that's an anavoidable cost anyway.

One thing I don't know yet is what I'll have to do to maintain all the other features of the car...like an operational TWICE and AC...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
I believe I can get AEM EMS for around 1500 plus whatever else I'll need. As far far as coilpacks go...I think I'll just use ones off of a late model accord or soemthing... I'm pretty sure I can do the basic set-up myself and than have it dyno tuned once it runs...that's an anavoidable cost anyway.

One thing I don't know yet is what I'll have to do to maintain all the other features of the car...like an operational TWICE and AC...
Dyno tune is not a must, depends on how much mapping you can do on the road. Personally do all my mappings on the road. I have though once mapped my car on the rollers also, but all the maps have been modified since that. Last time around I just used the rolles to check the output out of curiosity and not to map.

On a T5 car the A/C wont be a problem, all you need to do is to mount a simple relay by the ecu in order for DICE to be able to turn the A/C compressor on when needed. When std the ECU does this after it has "raisen" engine load to prevent rpms from falling when the compressor is engaged. Besides the compressor the climate control works.

TWICE,
all other functions will work but not the immobilizer. Just toss in a external one alot easier that way.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vigge said:
Just toss in a external one alot easier that way.
Would taking the EMS home qualify as an immobilizer? :cheesy: j/k on this one... I'm wondering if it's possible to use the DIC in any way with the EMS...it can't be impossible...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
I'm wondering if it's possible to use the DIC in any way with the EMS...it can't be impossible...
Its basically a capasitative trigger system with additonal detection (combustion, knock), so it should not be a problem to get it to function, BUT few people who have tried to run it as "wastespark" have found it not to function properly when rpms raise. Have not tried that personally though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hold up...I thought the DIC was not a "waste spark" system. I thought there were 4 individual coils...am I misunderstanding the DIC???

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What am I missing than? Why would you run a system with 4 coil packs as waste spark? Something about the EMS?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
hold up...I thought the DIC was not a "waste spark" system. I thought there were 4 individual coils...am I misunderstanding the DIC???
Just like saabkid noted, its not wastespark, but those people who have tried to run it that have have not had success. The functionality of the cassette is described in WIS and according to it there is nothing that really rules the "option" to run it wastespark, but as stated it has not worked.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Kolhoznik said:
What am I missing than? Why would you run a system with 4 coil packs as waste spark? Something about the EMS?
how else you going to run it if you have an EMS and you dont have a cam pos sensor in the engine? Ofcourse you can always mount one to achieve other options.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll have to take a look at the cam gears when I'm doing the cahn and see how I can put in a cam pos sensor. Can't be that hard.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Waste spark groups 1 and 3, and 2 and 4, which means you only have to do half the work with setting up the ignition. The down-side is that you can't change individual timing based on knock/cyl, but its easier as far as setup goes.

FWIW, you HAVE a cam angle sensor. you could simply use the crank angle sensor, OR, if you had to, check if any years of the distributor'd NG's used optical/hall effect sensors.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
G96nt said:
Waste spark groups 1 and 3, and 2 and 4, which means you only have to do half the work with setting up the ignition. The down-side is that you can't change individual timing based on knock/cyl, but its easier as far as setup goes.

FWIW, you HAVE a cam angle sensor. you could simply use the crank angle sensor, OR, if you had to, check if any years of the distributor'd NG's used optical/hall effect sensors.

good luck!
The N/A ng900 has a cam shaft pos sensor and is of hall type. Plugs into head where the distributor sits in the those cars which has it, i.e at the end of exhaust cam at drive side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.