SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Saab 9-3S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conventional wisdom here is to keep a DIC handy. My 2000 currently has a black SEM DIC of unknown age - either in the service logbook or from a VIN decoder online I learned about a recall related to the DIC from around 2007, so it's possible it's about that old. Previous owner had the car for about 6yrs and had not replaced the DIC.

Leaving aside the debate on Red vs Black (presently running eye-wateringly expensive 98RON just in case the knock sensing is as non-existent as claimed), the engine is a B204E (with T7 APC, so presumably making 204L-spec boost) and so the Red DIC seems to be what I should have.

I understand NGK produce DICs, and the cheapest one of those that appears online (a NGK U6023) comes in at AU$673, or about US$453. At the other end of the scale are the same ones for just shy of AU$900/US$606. I had a look on eSaabParts ... but of course they want over US$100 to send one here. Not worth it.

With the exception of finding something from a junker locally, any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
If you pull the DIC out, there's a SEM label with a date code on it in the format YYWW - Year and week of manufacture. With other records, you can at least guess at the miles. Most DICs are good for 70k. They die soon after that.

You can search for one in a junk yard. If you can find one that is reasonably young, and they have a return policy so that you can test
It, you could buy a used one as a backup. Most of us bite the bullet and buy a new one then put the ole one in the trunk as a spare.

·
Registered
2000 Saab 9-3S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check the dates. Regardless of the age, it really should have a Red one, so it's on the list. Plugs due next oil change.

No history on Crank sensor, and we're at 180,000km (111k mi) now. Is that another preventative item for this age/mileage?

Back when I had an E36 BMW, I noticed the Service Logbook suggested an O2 sensor at 100k miles - which I did about a year before a HG failure sidelined it. Used an NTK/NGK branded spare for that. There was a moderate improvement in response and fuel economy. Does Saab suggest anything like this, or was their attitude "run it till it breaks"?

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts