SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an ad for a guy selling a T3/T4 turbo for sale, at $80
and it dosent have shaft play.

My question is does this sound like it will work on my saab?

and how can i tell?

I want to buy it today, so he dosent sell it off.

Hopefully he will have an intercooler for sale to, I found a decent one but the darn thing is 40" long.
Thats way to long right? seems like it would hit my bumper brackets

·
Registered
232 Posts
The turbo sounds like it may be a cheap ebay unit. Some work, others are junk.
Many times it seems like a better idea to buy a quality unit from the beginning. Do it right.
I also don't think it will "bolt up" to our manifolds.

The intercooler sounds to wide to use at 40"

Best of luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there a certian brand name or anything I should look for?

And does anyone know when I find one, what is the easiest way to see if it will bolt up, with out taking out my turbo and trying?

Also I have seen some other posts on here about up grading the t-25 internals/housing, would this be a better option? who sells these?
Or should I just look for a Viggen/Areo or HOT turbo?
And does anyone have one laying around?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You need a turbo with a T25 inlet flange. Dont go cheap mode when getting a bigger turbo because ~$750 is a lot cheaper than a whole new engine. Go with a trusted name, like gpopshop.

EDIT:
Depending on your power:

200-300hp- TD04-15t (Aero turbo)
300-320hp- TD04-18t(ported)
320-400hp- Garrett GT28RS

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
turbos are notorious for being high risk fail parts... one place you dont want to cut costs is here, get something new or rebuilt at the very least.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Heath said:
I doubt a turbo will kill an engine. I'm not sure what you mean by that.
he didn't say it'd kill the engine, but a turbo spinning at 200 krpms can, if it's out of balance, easily shred itself... one possible scenario is that these shreds then get sucked into the engine, and do serious, probably terminal, damage... and that's just what occurred to me as i read the post, i'm sure someone that's actually seen damage happen can provide more inventive (and true!) stories...

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Oil from a turbo into the engine is not too bad, but if the blades chip and come apart, well they can end up going into the intake and into the cylinders and damage the pistons:eek: I guess if the waste-gate stuck closed or something crazy like that and someone kept driving it without checking the a/f and all that, it could also blow up an engine.

My main guess would be the turbine housing cracking or the crappy metal in the blades chipping off and ending up in da motor.

The main thing is its a lot of work to get a new turbo on a car and get it all dialed in and to have one fail 6 months later would be a real drag, not to mention a few weeks later.

John

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Exactly, but even a lesser case scenario: you spend a few hundred on a turbo that ends up being crap and even if it doesnt hurt anything esle, you still need to get a new turbo. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, I interpreted
"Dont go cheap mode when getting a bigger turbo because ~$750 is a lot cheaper than a whole new engine."
as referring to a turbo destroying an engine. I'm not certain how else to take that comment.

Sure the compressor blades could shatter and blow through the intercooler and become ingested by the engine but I feel the more likely scenario would be leaking oil seals and/or excessive axial and radial play eventually resulting in (audible) housing contact.
Ideally you would realize your car was smoking badly, running poorly, and making horrible sounds and take the initiative to disconnect your piping from the turbo before limping your car home or to a repair shop.
In the end I think most of us agree on avoiding those turbos and buying a mitsu, garrett, precision, turbonetics, etc.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took a look at the turbo the guy was selling, it really looked cheap real cheap, no name brand, so kind of e-bay thing...oh well wish it would of been the real deal

oh well it's probally sitting on a Honda now.:cheesy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts