SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there have been several questions regarding the brakes on my T16S I thought it would be worth starting a new thread rather than hijacking several others.

The brakes were custom made for the car by a small outfit in Bridgend called Godspeed. They consist of the Austin Princess AP 4pot calipers, brackets to hold the calipers in the correct position, bells specifically made for the Saab hub and 325x30mm rotors (supplied by Gutmann). The brake hoses are made by Merlin Motorsport out at Castle Combe.

A couple of views of the bells. The corrosion is the result of less than two years driving on our roads, at 5000miles a year.

Nice shiney new rotors :D :D.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

A big disk and a little disk :cheesy:

Disk and rotor on the car.

Close up of the caliper and mounting bracket.

New brake line waiting to be connected up to the caliper.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looking good!

I've not considered much more than grooved discs and Pagid fast road pads, but that looks nice!

Matt Faulks did a Brembo 4 pot conversion on his IIRC.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
sorry, not wanting to sound like too much of a numbty... what does IIRC tsand for? Ive seen it reffered to in many discussion threads, and just cant work it out!!!!

Ta guys
G

·
Registered
573 Posts
hi alex,

ive fancied ur brakes for a long time, i did email god speed but they didnt reply. would you be so kind enough to help me get a quote just for the 330mm disc and hat? cause i manage to source a 4 pot mazda FD calipers. so jus tthe disc and hats will do. thanks:cool:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bohtak said:
hi alex,

ive fancied ur brakes for a long time, i did email god speed but they didnt reply. would you be so kind enough to help me get a quote just for the 330mm disc and hat? cause i manage to source a 4 pot mazda FD calipers. so jus tthe disc and hats will do. thanks:cool:
I need to go and see Ian next week, so will have a word with him.

Do you know what size pistons your new calipers use? The APs I have, use 4 38mm pistons and the pedal feel is just about perfect.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
that's a very nice brake set up. how would you say it compares to the 9000 brake upgrade? I am at that point that my stock C-900 brakes are down right dangerous.... I have been puting off a brake upgrade but it's looking like one's going to have to be coming in the near future ;oops:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These brakes are a huge improvement over the 9000 calipers (I upgraded from the 9000 brakes), with better feel, progression and improved pedal weighting. However it isn't cheap. I had the APs lying about in the garage, plus the car was already fitted with the Kahns.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wheels need to be 17"s. In theory I should be able to get 335mm disks behind a 17" rim but that depends very much on the size of the calipers, the Princess units are a touch too bulky.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Nice Bits.. when New.
I cannot believe the amount of Rust/ corrosion on your car.
It looks 'trashed' in a word. Not even here in Canada where the Municipal Idiots dump a reported 22 MILLION tonnes of Salt on the winter roads.. annually..do cars come close to that.
Frightening Climate you inhabit Mate :)
Britain must surely have been the birthplace of Arthritis.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hasn't Canada now started using a salt/grit substitute which doesn't damage vehicles?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts