SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

it seems that one of the major limitations to T8 is the K-jetronic injection system.

Could be possible to fit a T16 injection system easily in a T8?

Anyone did something like this?

I know that the goal could be megasquirt but seems cheaper take this route.

Thanks, ivan.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Putting the fuel system from a 16V motor on a 8V is going to be alot of work. I'm not that familiar with the 16V but I believe there would be a lot of wiring involved, changing of fuel pump, adapting injectors, etc.

Have you done any performance modifications to your T8 already? If not, fueling shouldn't be a problem for a while.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
TJ (VikingSpirit) has done soemthing similar..... sort of

he K Ketted his 99 from a carbed non turbo, to a K Jetted non turbo, and will be completing it with the full turbo fitment fairly soon... you may find some pointers in his thread in the 99 forum

G

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
You can use the 8v fuel pump, if there is any difference it'll be 8v pump is better.

Basically along with the ECU you will need:-

Throttle Body or Throttle Position Switch/potentiometer from a 16v, AMM, probably slightly different coolant temp sender, you'll need to custom build a fuel rail as the injector spacing is completely different, and then finally get the injector ports on the 8v inlet manifold machined out to take the 16v injectors.

Maybe a Ignition Amplifyer of a 16v, not sure if they are different, also i don't think the 16v distributer has a centrifugal advance like the 8v so you may need to swap that aswell.

You may see a better curve from the EFI with more power over 4,500 as that's when the K jet generally starts to struggle.

·
Registered
801 Posts
nutcase said:
An 8v fuel pump might overload the 16v system as there's a big pressure difference.
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been running an 8valve fuel pump in my 16 valve for 3 years, as it is CAPABLE of running higher pressures, and can handle higher volumes you will not "overload" the system as long as you have the proper fuel pressure regulator

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Breakin5speeds said:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

You may see a better curve from the EFI with more power over 4,500 as that's when the K jet generally starts to struggle.
This seems to be true so why bother, just get yourself the Mega Squirt system which is less trouble and just as if not simpler to install.

The price of either one is probably the decider M.S cost what, £300?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Well that's my head bitten off :lol:
Now go and write 'you can use a 8v fuel pump with 16v fuel injection' 100 times:nono;

Shad, i was thinking that myself, Saab-Daniels project thread would be a good place to read up on the conversion.

·
Registered
801 Posts
nutcase said:
Well that's my head bitten off :lol:
Lol, sorry that wasn't my intention... Implied vs intended, isn't always the same

But the 8 vavle pump is very hearty and often sold under different names as a high performance pump, I believe I once read a test of one, sold by ACCEL IIRC, and it was capable of supporting over 500hp :suprised; , they are monster pumps and easy to install in early 16 valve cars, I believe you need the feeder tank from an 85 to 88 8 valve

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
just ordered a bunch of bits home from diyautotune.com for my brothers 9k, my fathers vert and 9k, and a friends 9k. Will be building boost-control and DI on three of the cars (not the c900 vert). If you're lucky and don't get caught in customs (a friend of my brothers brought it home to us this time), you can have harness, MS-prebuild ECU, boost-kit, lc-1 lambda-kit with gauge at your doorstep for around 350-370 pounds. You really would need the wideband lambda-kit to make a map that fits your engune 100%... Like you really should get a custom-chip for the LH-ECU if you fit a kit from a T16.

Daniel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's possible, not too much work. My 900 T8 is running with LH 2.2 from a -86 9000 Turbo. I still have few small problems. First of all, the engine is running quite rich afr now because of 350 cc injectors and 3bar fuel pressure, second is high idle revs. I haven't found any air leaks yet, but this might be connected to afr. I'll try to install my wb-lambda during weekend and get the afr right.

Otherwise, the install is quite simple. Biggest trouble is finding a fuel rail, mine is custom made. Wiring is easy, just couple of wires. Original T16 injectors fit straight to the K-Jet intake manifold, you just have to find out some way to attach the fuel rail & injectors to it and maybe shorten the injector mounts a bit.

I'm too tired to think any more right now, so ask me if you've got something on your mind.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Jokke A said:
Original T16 injectors fit straight to the K-Jet intake manifold, you just have to find out some way to attach the fuel rail & injectors to it and maybe shorten the injector mounts a bit.
Well, depends on the year, because my manifold needed drilling to accept the injectors. I've since learned, that isn't the case on later manifolds...
Daniel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all.

It seems that is better to fit a Megasquirt, the cost is not so high and near to zero problems. Also Saab-Daniel did it in a T8 ... Daniel do you want to visit Spain to fit 2 or 3 MegaS? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My T8 right now is just stock but after fix some problems I want to increase the performance so I am planning everything, I am sure that my last problem will be the fuel system but I thing is a good idea to have a route to follow.

Here in Spain is not so easy to find T8 in junyards but it's relative easy to find T16. And also here We don't have Megasquirt distributors so I though why not to fit a T16 system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jokke A said:
It's possible, not too much work. My 900 T8 is running with LH 2.2 from a -86 9000 Turbo. I still have few small problems. First of all, the engine is running quite rich afr now because of 350 cc injectors and 3bar fuel pressure, second is high idle revs. I haven't found any air leaks yet, but this might be connected to afr. I'll try to install my wb-lambda during weekend and get the afr right.

Otherwise, the install is quite simple. Biggest trouble is finding a fuel rail, mine is custom made. Wiring is easy, just couple of wires. Original T16 injectors fit straight to the K-Jet intake manifold, you just have to find out some way to attach the fuel rail & injectors to it and maybe shorten the injector mounts a bit.

I'm too tired to think any more right now, so ask me if you've got something on your mind.
Please let me know about your investigations with wb-lambda? If you fix all problems could you do a little summary about the mod? Thanks

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Sure Ivan, just let me know when and where, hehe :)
Daniel.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I tried this on my 99, i even modded the fuel rail and wired up the 16V engine management only to find it doesnt run properly and the only thing i could pin point as a possible reason is the injectors had the wrong spray pattern so they just wet the side of the inlet ports instead of wetting the inlet valve head, i guess the injectors could be sorted to find the correct spray but i thought it easier to replace the 8V engine with a 16V engine

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Boxman, did you fit the correct coolant-temp sensor and tps-sensor? Otherwise, you will never get it to work ;)
Daniel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ivandlf said:
Please let me know about your investigations with wb-lambda? If you fix all problems could you do a little summary about the mod? Thanks
I'll hopefully have time to install lambda this weekend, and project summary is on the way as soon as I replace few hoses in the engine bay so I can take a picture of it. ;oops:

I still must recommend this mod instead of a megasquirt, at least for me this was much simpler as I do not have the know-how to fine tune Megasquirt... yet. Actually this was kind of temporary mod for me also, we'll see how long it will take until the megasquirt-fever grows. :)

As for wiring, I recall the LH needs information from ignition coil, +12v for 2 relays and +12v from the ignition lock. I used a bit modified 9000 wire harness for this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts