SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How very... odd...

The battery in the poor battered beast has died. Looking at it, it's not a great surprise - it's ancient. So... New battery time.

The local motor factor reckoned an 069 was the right one. Well, it *fits*, but it's damnably tight. The turbo-to-downpipe flange is actively touching the heatshield, with the battery fully forward and pressed against the wing.

Measuring up, the old one's a full 20mm narrower than the new one. Neither GSF or EuroCarParts have any listing whatsoever for a 900 turbo fitment, and say "Dealer only"... Exide's website has a battery fitment guide which reckons the same battery for turbo and n/a - but the one they list is the same width as the one that's gone in there.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Could be knackered engine mounts...?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
the battery in my old T8 was fat enough to allow the heat shield to touch the elbow, and i had no problems..... it did over 200k miles before i sent her off

G

·
Registered
424 Posts
Batteries in my cars fill up the available space, too.

I think that I read that a battery spec'd for a Honda Civic will fit with space left over. Prolly doesn't have quite the cold cranking amps that the bigger ones have, but may suffice. I looked at that battery when I replaced the one in my 91 and opted for the chubbier model.

Good luck.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do to the battery being right next to the turbo charger, and heat being the number one killer of conventional batteries, I installed an Optima spiral 6 pack gel battery in mine. These are supposed to be immune to the ravages of under hood heat, as the gel does not evaperate with the heat (unlike the electrolite of a conventional lead acid battery). It fits well. The only caution I would mention is that the positive side terminal (it is a universal fit battery) is next to the inner fender. If you keep the plastic cover on the terminal this is not a problem. if the cover falls out when you put the batter in...

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dasander said:
The only caution I would mention is that the positive side terminal (it is a universal fit battery) is next to the inner fender. If you keep the plastic cover on the terminal this is not a problem. if the cover falls out when you put the batter in...
Ummm, what plastic cover...?

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
In the olden days, when the cars were new, Turbo batteries were slightly narrower. I don't know if they're still available.
I recommend following dasander's advice, but get a battery small enough to allow clearance between the battery and pipe. The higher performance of the Optima-style gel battery will be plenty to start your Turbo; compare Cold Cranking Amps.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Mesthene said:
The higher performance of the Optima-style gel battery will be plenty to start your Turbo; compare Cold Cranking Amps.
I've had a little look, and I've found a supplier in the UK who lists Optima red-top batteries.

And they _only_ want around three and a half times the price of the normal battery that doesn't quite fit...

Bugger. That. For. A. Game. Of. Soldiers.

I've got _far_ better things to do with the difference.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
The higher performance of the Optima-style gel battery will be plenty to start your Turbo; compare Cold Cranking Amps.
I run a Red Top Optima and it has 800CCA whis has started her in a snap, after sitting a month in 20- temps. Great battery!

·
Registered
888 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Ummm, what plastic cover...?
The optima red top starting battery is a universal fit battery, with top and side posts. Since the saab is not a side post car, there are plastic covers that snap into the side post terminals. Unfortunately, the positive side post terminal rests against the fender. Not a major problem if the cover is in place. I only caution perspective optima batteries because the little bugger likes to pop off when the battery is being snaked down to the battery tray down in the deep under the hood. As I stated earlier, I think these batteries are ideal for the turbo cars as the heat is an issue for normal lead acid batteries, but not these.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
dasander said:
The optima red top starting battery is a universal fit battery, with top and side posts. Since the saab is not a side post car, there are plastic covers that snap into the side post terminals. Unfortunately, the positive side post terminal rests against the fender. Not a major problem if the cover is in place. I only caution perspective optima batteries because the little bugger likes to pop off when the battery is being snaked down to the battery tray down in the deep under the hood. As I stated earlier, I think these batteries are ideal for the turbo cars as the heat is an issue for normal lead acid batteries, but not these.
I installed an Odyssey PC925 in my 81 turbo some months back and used a modified power steering/engine mount bracket spare from another 8V car being stripped to brace the battery off the side of the engine back to avoid the positive terminal being too close to the steelwork (and rist shorts).

There are some pics here showing the end result. When I next pull the battery out I'll try to remember to get some close up pics showing what I cut away on the modified bracket with my grinder to make it fit and stay locked under the back of the bumper mount.

Craig.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dasander said:
The optima red top starting battery is a universal fit battery, with top and side posts. Since the saab is not a side post car, there are plastic covers that snap into the side post terminals.
Ah. Gotcha.

As I stated earlier, I think these batteries are ideal for the turbo cars as the heat is an issue for normal lead acid batteries, but not these.
Going by the "visual age" of the battery I pulled out, the three-and-a-half normal batteries which could be bought for the price of one Optima would probably have seen this car from new until now. Including the one I fitted yesterday...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I slid a slice of wetsuit neoprene between my bettery and the fender to keep it from rattling and damaging the pain.
Scrap came from a maker of wetsuits and it was free from their trash barrel.
All I did was ask, but bought a T-shirt to show my thanks... Besides it was an all cotton shirt with some cool silkscreen on it!:cool: I love cotton t-shirts!:cheesy:

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
I don't know if they're still available.
They were until last year. OE supplier was Varta. You might find old stock somewhere.

The orignal batteries were heat-resistant as well as narrower.

Any standard battery may get cooked by the turbo - it'll be too close and it won't be heat resistant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts