SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to search for the answer to this question.

Already planning my next Saab purchase and trying to determine what I'm looking at/for. I know I want a I4 so I can beef it up. Beyond that, I don't even know if I want a 3 or a 5. Would like to get as new a Saab as possible though. Planning on keeping it a while.

So the questions are.........

1. I understand there are two turbos. One high pressure and one low pressure. The 'T' on the back of some Saabs means it's the high pressure turbo, while the 't' means low pressure, right?

2. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the 'T' models and the Aeros? Body cladding and suspension upgrades? More than that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, 1AdamXII.
No ignorance at all. You have the first question answered by yourself correctly: "T" is the high preesure turbo and "t" is the low pressure turbo.

The difference between "T" and the "Aero" is the horsepower and the torque which are produced by each engine. The engine displacement is bit different depends on the model year, but the major difference is the boosting pressure on "T" and the "Aero" that the "Aero" can produce about 50 more horse power than "T". 50 more horsepower doesn't seem much by the number, but it is a difference of night and day when experience it through the driving. And one of notable difference, among many other available standard equipments is lower suspension height for the"Aero". The "Aero" is a serious driving machine.

Good luck for your replacement.

·
Registered
869 Posts
^^ This becomes untrue for the 2006+ model year. When there is an Aero (not all of the 2006+ years have it) the engine is the exact same 260 hp I4 as the non-Aero (which, for my 2008, is the "Arc").....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ This becomes untrue for the 2006+ model year. When there is an Aero (not all of the 2006+ years have it) the engine is the exact same 260 hp I4 as the non-Aero (which, for my 2008, is the "Arc").....
What do they not have?

EDIT: The year models beginning in 2006 do not necessarily include an Aero version, which makes your 2008 Arc the hi-end performance model??

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Aero moniker, and no, my car is the bottom rung 2.3T (but in the owner's manual it is referred to as an "Arc"). Note that in 2008 they did have an Aero. I believe it was 2006 that didn't have an Aero but they called it something else - a Sport something or other....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Aero moniker, and no, my car is the bottom rung 2.3T (but in the owner's manual it is referred to as an "Arc"). Note that in 2008 they did have an Aero. I believe it was 2006 that didn't have an Aero but they called it something else - a Sport something or other....
That's very confusing. I thought the 'Linear' was the bottom rung vehicle, with the 'Arc' being middle, and the 'Aero' being top. My 02 Arc stickered at $40K (have original sticker). That's a lot of money for a bottom tier vehicle, even in 2012 dollars.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, starting with the face-lifted 2006 and thru to the 2009's they got rid of a lot of choices and options. I'm guessing to make it more cost efficient to build and sell the cars. Then they changed everything again for the 2010's and up, except they did keep the Aero nameplate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I've read over the past few months, the Aero went away for the year 2006 only. The 2006 Aero is a sport with a more "sportier" package which includes a new interior compared to the usual wood grain luxury style in other models/years. This is a more vinyl gray/black interior with sportier seats, etc.

I believe the Aero came back after 2006 though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts