SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ‘high temp’ T-stat on my 2.1 that the previous owner installed . He lived in California and I brought the car to AZ.
Question - when we hit our hot weather (mainly 110 plus..) the engines temp gauge runs almost red. The fans are on. I’ve heard these engines perform better hot but not overheated of course .. Just scares me this time of year. Normal weather temps the car performs what I deem normal ..temp gauge rises , fans kick on and temp gauge goes back to about half. The cooling system is Original except top radiator hoses. Also just converted AC and had it blasting yesterday.
is this normal for a high temp T- Stat to perform like this ?
or is my cooling system getting tired and needs new ?
ill enclose a pic of the part for reference .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
The tstat is just an open/close switch for all intents and purposes. Once it hits target temp, the coolant is flowing through the cooling system. If the fans are running, then the car knows it needs to cool down a bit so that’s a good sign. A good cooling system flush, ensuring the radiator is in good condition (no missing fins, etc), and clearing out leaves, dead bugs, etc that can build up on the radiator will all help. Stuff can definitely get caught between the condenser and radiator. But in very hot summer weather with the A/C on, you’ll find the fans running very frequently.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
x2

Assuming the thermostat isn't defective and not fully opening, the issue is the radiator. In my experience, the radiator on c900s often are neglected. If yours is actually 30 years old, it's probably long past due for replacement. Given your location, I'd spend that $120 without hesitation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x2

Assuming the thermostat isn't defective and not fully opening, the issue is the radiator. In my experience, the radiator on c900s often are neglected. If yours is actually 30 years old, it's probably long past due for replacement. Given your location, I'd spend that $120 without hesitation.
I do have a new Nessens radiator, hoses and new saab OEM overflow tank. This project is next. Allot of people say not to mess with the radiator until it ‘goes’, leaks , blows up..etc..maybe it is getting time ..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Radiators will definitely corrode and clog internally. Most people don't change their coolant on time, and most people don't use distilled water and those oversights accelerate such issues.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
If it's not losing coolant it isn't overheating.
Add a 10 ohm resistor inline with the temperature sender to alleviate anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts