SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
T.P.S and Airflow meter needed

I need a Air flow meter and T.P.S for a 1986 9000 turbo I was quoted $165 and $45

Is this resonable or does anyone know how to buy them cheaper?

I'm in Vic Australlia
THANKS!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got an AFS on ebay for about $30, if I remember correctly. Search for the bosch part no. as the same AFS is usually used on many different cars.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Why do you need a TPS for your '86? never seen one of them going bad, and even it it does, it hardly affect normal behaviour. If it's running rough, just replace your AMM.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Stefano said:
Why do you need a TPS for your '86? never seen one of them going bad, and even it it does, it hardly affect normal behaviour. If it's running rough, just replace your AMM.
The TPS went bad on my 1987, as did the AMM. The bad TPS caused the car to run lean at full throttle (not good when running 16-20 psi!!), the bad AMM caused the opposite.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Aaron Gilbert said:
The TPS went bad on my 1987, as did the AMM. The bad TPS caused the car to run lean at full throttle (not good when running 16-20 psi!!), the bad AMM caused the opposite.
Only the AMM failed in my '87 :cheesy:

Aaron, I know your old '87 from your website, I also found a video on youtube about two kids from Canada going somewhere in washington state with a grey 9000 to buy a white 9000... was it yours?

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Stefano said:

Aaron, I know your old '87 from your website, I also found a video on youtube about two kids from Canada going somewhere in washington state with a grey 9000 to buy a white 9000... was it yours?
Yes. Aaron is famous, didn't you know ? (I watched that video too).

Long live E-l-k-e the white 9000T :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Stefano said:

Yes, that was my car in the video! Cool video, though I haven't heard a lot from the two guys since. Supposedly she's still running great, but only being driven in the summer. The new owner took her down to Los Angeles in the summer of 2006.

Man I seriously need to update my web site with the new 9000. Good thing winter is coming, gives less excuse to spend time outside.

Anyways, back on topic... TPS is easy to test on the early cars, as it's basically just an on/off switch. You want to see a change in the resistance when you move the throttle from off to on (actually the change is somewhere mid-position). I'd recommend testing with the engine off. :). Unfortunately, I don't remember the ohm values for no-throttle vs. full-throttle. When my TPS failed, there was no change in the full throttle position.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need a TPS Because the whole thing is missing, so is the air flow meter!

This isn't the car I'm driving!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aaron Gilbert said:
Yes, that was my car in the video! Cool video, though I haven't heard a lot from the two guys since. Supposedly she's still running great, but only being driven in the summer. The new owner took her down to Los Angeles in the summer of 2006.

Man I seriously need to update my web site with the new 9000. Good thing winter is coming, gives less excuse to spend time outside.

Anyways, back on topic... TPS is easy to test on the early cars, as it's basically just an on/off switch. You want to see a change in the resistance when you move the throttle from off to on (actually the change is somewhere mid-position). I'd recommend testing with the engine off. :). Unfortunately, I don't remember the ohm values for no-throttle vs. full-throttle. When my TPS failed, there was no change in the full throttle position.
Holy crap a local! Im in Auburn... what is your site?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts