SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the answers to my previous post, "Symptoms of Bad Crank Position Sensor," lead me to believe that the CPS is not the culprit, is it likely to be the Throttle Body?

Again, the list of symptoms and fixes so far:

1. Surging idle once warm, reduced by putting the auto in neutral while stopped at lights. Mostly annoying/stressful, but does not cause the car to die.
2. Hesitation during 40+ MPH hard acceleration -- not due to auto downshift delay
3. Slight low-speed knocking as if timing is off. One possible explanation for this might be replacement of colder NGK 7ES plugs with multi-range NGK 6ES.
4. Poor power, as if timing is off
5. Smoke on full throttle acceleration, sometimes

What has been done to eliminate the obvious:

1. Cleaning of throttle body with carb cleaner
2. New plugs, see comment above
3. Oil change
4. Injector cleaner in gas
5. Relacement of hard vacuum hoses
6. DI Cassette replaced within last 15K miles

Thanks,
John Martin

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I believe that dealers can reflash the software for the throttle body, which might just help ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
do NOT worry...

This topic has been around for some time now. I have experienced the "problems" myself. I know exactly what you are talking about! Though, I have not made high costs to solve the problem.

So what to do:

1) make sure the spark plugs are in good order (if made in France => CHANGE!! (not a joke))

2) use Shell V-Power petrol

3) think about using an engine cleaner (per 4000 miles) which is basically a small amount of kerosine

4) if necessary, clean throttle body (15 minute job)

It is really as simple as that!!:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Eric in CT said:
What's the matter with french plugs???
A senior Saab mechanic informed me a while ago that the French NGK spark plugs are very sensitive to moisture and are not checked thoroughly for micro-cracks in the ceramic alumina insulation. I have also experienced micro-cracks in the NI-alloy ground electrode!

After changing with Japanese NGK's...all is perfect:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts