SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great website, very informative forum and tech help guides concise. I have tried to tackle this issue- brilliant comments and detail on how to get to it butyet confusion exists...which I see by repeated posts...here and on other pages --be great if cleared up and stated in tech help.

1) Is a reverse light switch for a manual NG900 the same as an for an Auto matic transmission of same model? ie V6 2.5l are they the same?

2) Is the reverse light switch or as some american pages of serious distributors say the back up light switch the same as the Neutral Position Switch or Neutral transmission switch, or Range switch, one and the same part. ie V& automatic vs. manual 900 NG. same thing for all models?

3) if they are the same is the installation (thanks to wonderfull detail here) basically to
a) uninstall battery (thus reintroduce code after starting- make sure you have code which I do not) to get to transmission and follow the rest of guides placed here and elsewhere- if reverse light switch is same as neutral position switch etc.

4) disparing prices, disparing opinions on difficulty of installation- ie europarts lists the Neutral Position switch for $296.80 for saab auto transmission. However the autoparts warehouse lists a different product denominated a back up light switch and is quite different ie threeprong as opposed to wirefuse for only 24$ which it say also goes under transmission but for manual-

can any one clear this up a bit?

thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good morning and thanks for your reply.

Lights do not go on. Fuse is ok (filament is intact), bulbs have been replaced. What else can I do?

Refards

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The Turbo four uses a transmission range switch atop the Auto-Trans. The "range" switch is aka the combination neutral safety switch/back up light switch.. Needless to say, these are pricey !

aka is "also known as", an accepted acronym..

As you,Tristan, have a V6, the Haynes manual(p 7B-4) is of limited value; but I'll bet the design is identical .

The book o' parts calls out p/n ... 46 25 174 ('95 and older) ; and......p/n 87 81 924 .. Fours and sixes seem to be the same for this range switch...

The manual trans is totally different..
Each poster on this forum should have this vital info at his signature or in the avatar box..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Tristran : Is the good oleparts book the Haynes manual? Or is the reference guide I relly will make use of?

The parts book and the Haynes manual are two separate publications, both of minimal quality..

I could not find the B/U switch for the manual transmission in the parts book...

The eEuro listing is the "range switch" which incorporates two functions (neutral switch and B/U), but it is the older unit.. and for the automatic transmission..

I had the same problem with the VW Golf back up light switch.. For some strange reason, WV saw fit to turn a $3 simple switch into an intricate and very pricey "over-engineered " unit... which failed at 150K miles anyway.. I had to find a replacement at the local friendly junque yard..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts