SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this been done? I was thinking about switching out this transmission for the AF40-6 transmission Used in the 2.8T Aero. Obviously there's one more gear, but it's possible to have loads more torque.

What would I be looking at for a price? Will the software within the car be able to handle it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I thought the 5sp transmission could handle more then 6sp..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, I'm bumping this because I'm still somewhat interested in the process. Does anyone know what would have to be changed out?

Would the car have functionality before an ECU flash or would I have to get a custom flash (I'm assuming the later 9-3s with the 6 speed and 4 cylinder tune would suffice?) before going through with this?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
idk about loads more torque, but it really depends why you would want a 6 speed...if it was for gas mileage on the highway, or if you wanted a big turbo setup and wanted that extra gear for speed, yeah. But if it's for autox or strip, you can have ZZP shotpeen and cryo treat a built f35 5 speed and it would be damn near unbreakable. The 5 speeds are pretty tough, but even though the 6 speeds might be a little stronger, but they're also a lot noisier especially with a LWFW and upgraded clutch

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Let me give you an example of the complexity. When the Tech II "erred" in it's diagnosis of Wifey's 2.0 XWD, Saab Trolhattan sent an ECU from the FWD car and hers is an XWD. The car went out of limp mode but then did all kinds of weird stuff like wouldn't give accurate tank readings or gave bad temp readings. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the ECU but the throttle body was defective.

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen and your chances of finding someone who switched out a 2008 2.0 with the tranny from a 2008 2.8 are probably very slim. I wouldn't even begin to trust someone shooting from the hip or based on technical knowledge.

Of course my distrust is colored by watching the cluster fudge between the "experts" at Trollhattan and the Tech II and a Saab mech who has been a Saab only tech for 20 years. It was either a cluster fudge or 3 monkeys trying to fook a football? :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts