SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased my 2002 Saab 9-5. I've had to put some money in to fixing it up, but it seems to run like a champ. I had a quick question for anyone who has any ideas: The previous owner used regular gas in it and when I purchased it I switched immediately to premium. Is there anything I should be aware of when switching from regular to premium, or any issues running regular could cause?

Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Of various opinions...

I used to feed both my Volvo 960 and my Saabs 9.5 (first the Linear, then the Aero) 87octane gas until I started reading some of the finer recommendations on the subject on this forum, from very knowlegeable contributors, as well as their recommendations on proper spark plugs for the Saabs. Basically it goes this way : The DIC management system will allow for uses of low-grade gas as well as non-standard replacement spark plugs because it can adapt to lower or different standards. But if you want to have the best performance from this management system as well as durability for your DIC, you are clearly better off with the specific plugs recommended for these cars as well as high-grade gas. This is what these cars have been designed for and they do perform better when one respects that. Remember, the Saab is an engineer's «wet dream». I've come back to the exact plugs recommended for my Aero and since 2 months ago have switched to high-octane fuel (91). I've clearly noticed a motor running much smoother, better accelerations and about 7% increase in fuel efficiency, thus justifying the higher cost of high-grade fuel.

So there for my two bits.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Actually, the wrong plugs can cause MAJOR poor running issues.

I have found I get 10% better gas mileage by using Premium rather than Mid-Grade, and I had significantly better hot weather performance in my old 2000 with Premium.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I ran the lower grade in one of my cars a few weeks ago when the prices were going up. It was a mistake for sure. The first time I have ever done that in 6 years and I won't do it again, unless i have too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts