SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I wonder what this really means... it seems like Orio doesn't make that much, mostly OEs other stuff anyway. Maybe it just means a loss of warranty?

·
Registered
971 Posts
maybe proparts will buy it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess that means free enterprise, free markets, and the right to work are things we should cherish and protect. Too bad we're just giving them away. Otherwise I'd say move the company here.

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad news for Saab owners, I fear. Unless someone steps up to buy a business that has a declining market, it will end up as a sell off to the highest bidder of the remaining parts. I don't think having the parts scattered among multiple suppliers will benefit us in any way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You do understand this is a conversation about the Swedish government's interest in a Swedish company, right?
I'm pretty sure it's government management of the company that is causing it to close. The Swedish Government takes and manages over 60% of every dollar earned. Do they really need 180 employees? Probably can't lay anyone off. There are other companies elsewhere, with businesses focused around SAAB parts that aren't in such dire straights.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
871 Posts
Personally, I think it will be bad news. I hope it won't be.
I think the government will want to sell it off based on that article.
A new buyer might introduce restrictions on stock availability to different markets.
It could also have no restrictions but the cost of items will increase by a huge amount.
What we need is the overseas sections of Orio - say in the US etc to buy the stock.

I don't know about you all - but last time I bought Saab parts - I was looking for original versions, and when I did my suspension upgrade - I only used original parts (apart from the koni's).
Seems like time to stock up on some key items...

Then again we have seen this before in parts - when eeuroparts changed hands - they stopped overseas delivery and we know some quality/service issues went downhill.

We can't underestimate the enthusiasm and passion for Saabs that exist around the world.
I'd be happy to support it via a donation if it came to that...

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
But what does Orio actually make? What actually goes away if they do? I spend a lot of money on Saab parts and most of what I buy isn't Genuine Saab branded, and if it is is usually made by someone else. Granted, a few years ago I bought a new bumper for the 9-3 SC Aero... but that was one part over ten years.

Not saying I want then to go away, I'm just really not sure what they take with them aside from customer support and SSCs, which I pretty much don't use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
But what does Orio actually make? What actually goes away if they do? I spend a lot of money on Saab parts and most of what I buy isn't Genuine Saab branded, and if it is is usually made by someone else. Granted, a few years ago I bought a new bumper for the 9-3 SC Aero... but that was one part over ten years.

Not saying I want then to go away, I'm just really not sure what they take with them aside from customer support and SSCs, which I pretty much don't use.
What are SSC's?

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Saab Service Centers

(admittedly, I did use one several years ago for the Takata airbag recall... but only because they wouldn't just give me the parts to do it myself :) )

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not sure it will make a big difference. Most of the parts I buy are OE manufacturer anyway..Lemforder, TVT, Meyle, Uro..when there is nothing else. The little electronic pieces thought may be hard to get...Saab specific..but there are alot of parts in Europe to get from breaker yards..

·
Registered
9,678 Posts

Orio used to give you actual correct parts, not "kind of parts" like ProParts Sweden rubber bits. I like the brake rotors and pads. Unfortunately, "Saab Select" parts from Orio are well on the way to be PPS.

I like Saab brake parts, wiper blades, ithermostats n terms of consumables. They seem to work better than "OEM-quality" parts (e.g. Zimmerman rotors, Motorad-packaged thermostats).

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I've not had any issues with most aftermarket parts... I don't buy low quality stuff and I don't get bad results. Metal isn't that hard. The things I'd like to turn to Orio for are, really, rubber parts... bushings, mounts, bellows, etc. where there is a world of difference between legit OE and general aftermarket, and that's the stuff they sent out to PPS. Well, that and things like trim and electronic modules that are largely already discontinued anyway. :|

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
It's going to be very sad if I can't get a new Viggen front bumper some day. I know they're ridiculously expensive at about $1000 each, but finding a good used one is next to impossible, and people seem to like to hit my car. There are also some fasteners that tend to break after 20 years, and even the ones on junkyard cars are no good.

·
Registered
04 9-3 Aero, 08 9-3 Aero, 09 2.0T XWD
872 Posts
This worries me but I'm also not sure what Orio is doing outside of the brakes and the Saab Select stuff. I have had a horrible experience with all PPS parts and I found that Orio was just distributing that stuff. I can't believe it's been 10+ years since Saab went under, and to quote James May from the Saab special "You should be OK for a bit." maybe those 10 years were the "for a bit" part.

One thing that Orio was doing that they aren't anymore, was rebuilding T8 ECMs. I went to Right Solution here in LA and Walter handed me a rebuilt Orio one that had failed after about 3K miles.

Now if there's one thing that will be the downfall of many of these cars, (NG9-3s at least) it will be bad T8s.

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My opinion is that we need ORIO for all the little bits... and in particular, keys, EX. I bought some Viggen undershields. ORIO only, you never find them used. Special clips male/female for the hatch molding? Has to be ORIO, the junkyard ones are all brittle. I don't want an aftermarket MAF when I need a MAF. Clock spring? ORIO. Etc.

While there's a fair supply of used/junkyard parts right now, it's due to a lot of these cars "retiring". That's a short term phenomenon. Soon the junkyard supply will be short. I suppose there is one bright light there in that the average folks who can't find new parts from ORIO will scrap their cars, putting more into the used stream for the next couple years.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
My other car is an XR4ti, which Ford sold for four years in the '80s and then literally wiped the parts catalogs from their systems. In 1995 you could not buy a new part for that car from Ford. And 26 years later I still rock it.

Still not saying no Orio is good, but I'm personally not too afraid right this second.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts