SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Saab 900SE 2.0L turbo vert
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
20210715_173959.jpg

So I just had the car's paint refreshed. So happy with it. The faded trim under the doors is bothering me. I last did a mask off/respray about 6 years ago on my '95 900S (RIP 😔) and it turned out great.
Decided I'll try to take these and the mudflaps off for TLC.
Starting from the rear tire, 1st 4 plastic nuts came off surely but stiffly. 5th one's bolt snapped off under minimal pressure. 6th one practically fell out still connected to the bolt and rusted base. Peeked under the car a bit and saw something peeling. I helped it along and a flimsy plastic weep hole thing fell out. Great. Mudflap screws took some persuading but came out clean. Mudflap off; the trim pieces all overlap so removal from front to back. Started fiddling with the 1st section and at least a pound of dead leaves, pine needles, bugs and dirt fell out. Was jammed in the L shaped trim right behind the mudflap. Holy ****. o_O
Check yours if you haven't lately.
20210716_174258.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
Looking good! Good call on checking the lower areas out. This can happen on most cars. My sons first car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and when we pulled the splash guards/ground effects off we probably had 5 pounds of sand, dirt, and pine needles in there!

• Wow
Reactions: cjcopp

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think Saab is the inspiration for the Tesla Model Y?
Saving the planet by encouraging life to grow inside the trim panels is sheer Swedish ingenuity and long-term planning

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How much for the paint refresh? And any advice you can give when dealing with the paint/body shop?
$360ish got a hand wash and "paint restoration" at the shop linked above. I'm not exactly sure what it entails other than using some kind of compound on a buffing wheel. They polished the wheels and tires, maybe wiped down the interior. One complaint I have is that I mentioned the car was covered in tree sap drips, and many still remain. I can coax some off with a little soapy water and a fingernail. But eh, I'm good with the overall result.
As far as advice, just do your homework. Get an idea of what price range your desired service should be, (browse local shop's sites) and try not to go overboard with extras. I canceled the interior detail service after remembering that I have supplies and youtube. Try to DIY what you can. Also watch your budget on necessities vs cosmetics. The only reason I decided to spend @ 10% of what I paid for the car on shiny paint is because I already had a full inspection and thorough assessment done a week after I got it. It's pretty solid for a 24 yr old car. I have an idea about what issues are coming down the road.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,005 Posts
Looks Good @cjcopp
Did you 'paint' the mud flaps with a protectant as well - hopefully now they are matt black - and looking good.

Another place that collects pine needles (gum leaves and nuts in Aust), dirt etc is the body section where the cabin air filter is.
If you are taking your time to change the cabin filter -
1. you'll be surprised just how much gets in that section.
2. Check for rust damage - as damp leaves and mud can sit for ages.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks Good @cjcopp
Did you 'paint' the mud flaps with a protectant as well - hopefully now they are matt black - and looking good.

Another place that collects pine needles (gum leaves and nuts in Aust), dirt etc is the body section where the cabin air filter is.
If you are taking your time to change the cabin filter -
1. you'll be surprised just how much gets in that section.
2. Check for rust damage - as damp leaves and mud can sit for ages.
just wanted to see how the connections are before diving into it completely. Tomorrow is the day that all the bottom trim comes off. Up on ramps, I'll get my creeper and give it a real good inspection underneath. Meguiars Ultimate Black and fresh microfiber towels are ready. Or I might just spray em. Definitely not looking for a shiny finish. And good call on the filter. I might as well clean up the wiper cowls while I'm in there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I'm expecting the flimsy welded-on bolts that the ABS nuts connect to (holding the trim on) to snap off if there's any rust involved. (2 already did.) I plan on assessing the refit situation after the trim is off. Any suggestions as to the best way to connect the trim without some of the old bolts? Adhesive? Find a good spot and drill in small sheet metal screws?

·
Registered
113 Posts

I have used this to cure the rusty fasteners on wheel wells, and the exhaust tunnel heat shield. It's a nice product.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are about 3 main panel screws that you'll need. Some have a 'plastic nut'.
Inside the wheel fender for example there are at least 3 different fastener types.
If you order a few replacements, you can have spares if you think some are suspect.
eg:
screw 92151992.
hexagon screw 7978661
plastic nut 92152035​

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Spray the plastic fasteners with a penetrant and let it work. Then carefully use a heat gun to soften the fastener and it should come off without snapping the captive threaded screw post. When reassembling use anti-seize on the threads.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Good to know... Thanks, Steve.
I would not have thought about using a heat gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts