Full iPod connectivity:

Door handle LEDs:

E-cutout switch on driver's side seat support:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Valentine 1 Concealed Display (custom w/color LEDs) mounted next to cupholder:

Full iPod connectivity:

WOW. Eric you sure have some skill that looks fantastic... how did you cut out that section like that and what is the plastic bezel you used for around the remote display?

Also, How did you get full iPod connectivity?!?!?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
New combo digital gauge going in car soon (probably on top of center speaker as a sort of HUD-type of thing), color matched to dash (green on black) and with 5 second SAAB start-up logo:

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
WOW. Eric you sure have some skill that looks fantastic... how did you cut out that section like that and what is the plastic bezel you used for around the remote display?

Grant, this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA20GM/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-GM.html

My review:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose
Written By Eric, Chicago, IL on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose sound system. Yes, that's right, in my Saab. If you own a Saab 9-3 2007-2011, Bose system or not, this will work in your car (as long as you have XM radio, which I know was standard equipment for 2007-2009, not sure about 2010 and 2011). This will absolutely NOT work in a 2006 and older Saab 9-3. The factory head unit is a re-purposed, re-programmed, and re-trimmed version of the standard GM head unit that you find, for example, in a Chevy Silverado (Saab did this to cut costs). Installation is easy, just remove rear passenger trunk liner to expose the XM unit, plug in the USA Spec in between the car harness and the XM unit, run the iPod cable to the front center console. Crystal clear CD quality sound. I have had this for 2 years and I've compared the sound quality between the same song (USA Spec vs. physical CD in player), and I can't tell the difference. Allows you to control (and charge) the iPod from the factory head unit, or you have the option of controlling it from the iPod. Displays song title, artist, genre, etc., even scrolls if it's a longer title. Great solution if you're like me and wanted to keep the factory stereo look. See cons below for my 2 complaints.

Pros:
See above

Cons:
The biggest complaint, by far, is the inability to change the iPod tracks with the steering wheel controls. Whether or not this is because of USA Spec programming or GM programming, I don't know. If you try and use the steering wheel track change buttons, it changes the radio station and stops your music. So, you just use the track change buttons on the head unit. Second, the provided iPod cable is NOT long enough to run from the trunk to the front. You have to purchase an iPod extension cable.
1 out of 1 people found this helpful
Was this review helpful? Yes | No

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

I removed the OnStar button pack, used a Dremel tool and a hobby knife to carefully enlarge the hole, then placed the V-1 display in with some super glue. Originally used that grippy foamish pad you see for sale by registers to hold cell phones etc to car dashboards for the bezel. I didn't like how squishy it was so I switched it out recently with harder material that matches the dash better. I used a black stair gripper and carefully cut it out with sharp scissors, then super-glued it to the dash. I'll post up a newer pic soon of the newer bezel, it's a cleaner look.

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Grant, this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA20GM/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-GM.html

My review:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose
Written By Eric, Chicago, IL on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose sound system. Yes, that's right, in my Saab. If you own a Saab 9-3 2007-2011, Bose system or not, this will work in your car (as long as you have XM radio, which I know was standard equipment for 2007-2009, not sure about 2010 and 2011). This will absolutely NOT work in a 2006 and older Saab 9-3. The factory head unit is a re-purposed, re-programmed, and re-trimmed version of the standard GM head unit that you find, for example, in a Chevy Silverado (Saab did this to cut costs). Installation is easy, just remove rear passenger trunk liner to expose the XM unit, plug in the USA Spec in between the car harness and the XM unit, run the iPod cable to the front center console. Crystal clear CD quality sound. I have had this for 2 years and I've compared the sound quality between the same song (USA Spec vs. physical CD in player), and I can't tell the difference. Allows you to control (and charge) the iPod from the factory head unit, or you have the option of controlling it from the iPod. Displays song title, artist, genre, etc., even scrolls if it's a longer title. Great solution if you're like me and wanted to keep the factory stereo look. See cons below for my 2 complaints.

Pros:
See above

Cons:
The biggest complaint, by far, is the inability to change the iPod tracks with the steering wheel controls. Whether or not this is because of USA Spec programming or GM programming, I don't know. If you try and use the steering wheel track change buttons, it changes the radio station and stops your music. So, you just use the track change buttons on the head unit. Second, the provided iPod cable is NOT long enough to run from the trunk to the front. You have to purchase an iPod extension cable.
1 out of 1 people found this helpful
Was this review helpful? Yes | No
I'm thinking about ordering this I have an '08 that came with XM, Do you know if the track title/text works with all the audio apps, for example does is display artist/track for spotify or pandora?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I'm thinking about ordering this I have an '08 that came with XM, Do you know if the track title/text works with all the audio apps, for example does is display artist/track for spotify or pandora?
Yes, it displays artist/track info for Spotify, and you can change Spotify songs from the car stereo. Not sure on Pandora, don't use it since I have Spotify Premium.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Boost/Wideband gauge is in!

Got it installed tonight with my LC-1. Looks great, matches dash color perfectly, very accurate as far as I can tell. Heads-up display keeps my attention on the road, where I like it. ;ol;

Gauge installed:

Custom startup image:

Better pic:

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Better gauge pics

Snapped some shots today in daylight. Also some better shots of the V1 display.

For size reference:

V1 with newer bezel:

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Took a hacksaw to the vertical slats in the front bumper last night. Looks much cleaner and now I can see more of the intercooler. Gave the front end a quick paint job tonight with satin black spray. FYI if you paint the front end, don't forget to poke out the ambient temp sensor and tuck it behind the masking, I almost forgot to do this (you will ruin your sensor). Also getting ready to change out the trans fluid using Idemitsu trans fluid, which is the OEM manufacturer for SAAB trans fluid. Got it for $50/case of 12 from a buddy who runs a shop (wholesale pricing). If anyone needs any, let me know!

Better pics without masking tomorrow.

Before:

After:

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
While I had the bumper off, took a quick pic of the intercooler mount (L-bracket) for those that were asking.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Didn't like the satin black look, too shiny, so I resprayed the front end to flat black tonight, looks much much better. Rain here in Chicago so new pics in a few days. Also going to do a leather shift boot conversion soon and clean up the plain looking shift console (I know, I know, it's an auto, but I miss my shift boots from my old cars. Not doing it at all to look like a manual, just personal taste).

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Door handle LEDs:

E-cutout switch on driver's side seat support:

Would you mind posting how you wired the LEDs? Did you just drill a hole in the back of the door cover and wire it to where? The puddle lamps?

Also, can you elaborate on the e-cutout switch? Whats that for?

I am starting to dig your muffler mod. A dream of mine is to put electrically-operated butterflies a la maserati/Aston, push the "sport" button and have the 'flies open.

How did you do yours?

Thanks

121 - 140 of 1046 Posts