SaabCentral Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1046 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
OBX DP is in! Install wasn't that bad, I PB Blasted the turbo studs for a few nights and the nuts came off like butter. Unfortunately, when I cut the stock pipe just before the resonator, I didn't leave enough pipe and there was a bulge, so I couldn't fit the extension pipe to connect the OBX to the resonator. So, I'm going to drive the car w/open DP to the muffler shop tomorrow while sounding like a monster truck. I'm certainly going to get some stares!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Everything is welded back up. Sounds great! Can't tell any difference between noise levels on stock DP vs. OBX, which I like very much. I can always open my cutout for more noise ;)

Getting the stock downpipe out was relatively easy, I did it mostly myself. I PB Blasted the turbo studs for a few nights before and the nuts came off like butter. That front lower nut was a pain, my ratcheting 13mm wrench wouldn't fit over the nut, so I used a 3/8 socket wrench, a very long extension, a 13mm shallow socket, and a 1/4" U-joint socket adapter. I fed the whole wrench setup through the coolant hoses and ended up turning the actual socket wrench a good 1.5 ft from the nut! Worked great though. To get the OBX in, I had my wife climb onto the engine (while the car was up in the air!) and guide the DP in with the doughnut ring in place as I fed the DP in from below and hung it on the hangers. I'm glad it's over!

I kept the stock resonator because I've already tried it without it and it's too droney for me. So the setup is OBX DP to stock resonator to dual Y-split/e-cutout to rear V6 Aero mufflers to 4" Vibrant tips. 3" piping for most of the exhaust.

New NGK BCPRES7 plugs and JZW stage 3 tune going in tonight! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Slick ride. Where did you source the intercooler from?

<<must resist modifications to the saab...>>

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi Swede,
Nice thread, even nicer car.... Good Job! I wish i had the time and resources to spend on half of your upgrades. While I presently looking at upgrading the Head Unit, I do live in very hot part of the world and have been thinking of a more efficient intercooler to improve performance (with Vtuner). The Mishimoto looks really good, but wonder of you did any comparison between the stock OEM and the Mishimoto? Do you have any data for the OEM unit? Can you quantify the perceived difference?
Also, your leather interior looks really good. As Hirsch does not manufacture this anymore, I have just ordered these from Germany:
http://www.saabsunited.com/2013/05/brand-new-interior-leather-trim-for-saab-9-3-now-available.html
Keep posting, looks fantastic!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually was tempted to follow up with an engineering study I did for my first degree...and I have a digital datalogging manometer and data logging two channel k type thermocouple unit...

I did this study on my Volvo testing the stock air to air piece against a custom air to liquid unit I assembled...

I will have to look into the MM IC you posted for fun, at that price..it may be worth checking [and if not, I have another built turbo engine I purchased for my Volvo recently...should be fun!]

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Hi Swede,
Nice thread, even nicer car.... Good Job! I wish i had the time and resources to spend on half of your upgrades. While I presently looking at upgrading the Head Unit, I do live in very hot part of the world and have been thinking of a more efficient intercooler to improve performance (with Vtuner). The Mishimoto looks really good, but wonder of you did any comparison between the stock OEM and the Mishimoto? Do you have any data for the OEM unit? Can you quantify the perceived difference?
Also, your leather interior looks really good. As Hirsch does not manufacture this anymore, I have just ordered these from Germany:
http://www.saabsunited.com/2013/05/brand-new-interior-leather-trim-for-saab-9-3-now-available.html
Keep posting, looks fantastic!
Thanks! I don't have any hard numbers to compare, sorry. I just definitely felt the difference in high ambient temps.

And that's pretty cool about the leather kit, I had no idea someone else was going to make them!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also installed the Mishimoto Z-line intercooler this weekend. No modifications needed. Removed stock intercooler, hooked up Mishimoto intercooler with 2 90 degree reducer elbows, good to go. No hose kinks at all.

So tempted to do this sooner than later after I was looking at the Amazon link...nice work.

Did you notice any "flimsy" charactersistics on the intercooler fins? I.e. were they extremely thin fins?

The intercooler seems to have some better quality on the end tank photos I have looked up instead of standard cheap ebay cores I have seen friends/others use on projects.

They also have this in black too for anyone looking, but the silver does look good and still stealth...since no on expects much from a Saab anyway [which is awesome] :)

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
So tempted to do this sooner than later after I was looking at the Amazon link...nice work.

Did you notice any "flimsy" charactersistics on the intercooler fins? I.e. were they extremely thin fins?

The intercooler seems to have some better quality on the end tank photos I have looked up instead of standard cheap ebay cores I have seen friends/others use on projects.

They also have this in black too for anyone looking, but the silver does look good and still stealth...since no on expects much from a Saab anyway [which is awesome] :)
Thanks! This intercooler is the real deal. I've purchased ETS intercoolers in the past for my 9000 Aeros and this one is just as solid of construction. Fins and end tanks are very high quality, welds are beatiful, even the packaging was triple-corrugated heavy duty cardboard haha. Good stuff.

Yeah I looked at the black one too but decided I'd like to see a bit of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Got the "electric" junkyard seat today. As you can see, it's not electric. :(

Plus it looks like crap. Poop. Try, try, try again I will.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Just for fun

Some more random pics for you guys:

Cool reflection of my car in a shiny Cadillac:

Winter setup, loaded with a crap ton of wood I used to build a workbench:

Another winter setup shot, running stock suspension:

Before the Hirsch diffuser and before the dual exhaust:

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
more pics

Some SAAB "water landing" :cheesy: pics:

All of my old and silly license plates (again, I swear I didn't copy you Paco!):

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
JZW stage 3 tune is in and the car is a MONSTER. Even in 100 degree Chicago heat the thing still pulls like crazy! Can't wait for cooler temps. My BSR stage 1 tune (I know, not a direct comparison) felt like a golf cart compared to John's tune.

I highly recommend JZW for any of your tuning needs. John is very responsive to both calls and emails and never seemed bothered that I was contacting him, which is a first for me in the tuning world. The PPC is a really nice piece of hardware too. Thanks again John!

Also, the downpipe was tapping against the subframe, so I had it adjusted today. By the way, if anyone needs any exhaust work done in the Chicago area, this guy is the BEST. His name is Cesar and he runs/owns Victor Muffler, here is the info. Very meticulous and amazing prices. He will do the job right the first time.

Also had a Magnaflow resonator welded in place of the stock resonator because the stock one was falling apart inside. Amazing since the car isn't that old. Stainless pipe was also used to connect everything. Sounds great now, no highway drone either. Here is a quick and dirty panoramic pic that I took with my Sony Ericsson phone from 2006 (sorry for the messy image stitching):

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
The icing on the cake :cheesy:

Sorry I couldn't resist. This was my groom's cake at my wedding 2 years ago. My wife said I could pick whatever I wanted, so it was a no-brainer hahaha.

101 - 120 of 1046 Posts