SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1046 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Wow. $460 for that. You have a great wife. Maybe I can find an upholsterer that can do it for cheaper. Definitely something I wanna do to mine.
I don't think it was quite so expensive at time of purchase, definitely under $400. Something I'd never buy for myself though ;)

Another route you can go is vinyl. A lot of members here have vinyl-wrapped their handles/smart slot/e-brake covers with carbon-fiber vinyl, etc. A lot cheaper, too. All you need is a hairdryer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think it was quite so expensive at time of purchase, definitely under $400. Something I'd never buy for myself though ;)

Another route you can go is vinyl. A lot of members here have vinyl-wrapped their handles/smart slot/e-brake covers with carbon-fiber vinyl, etc. A lot cheaper, too. All you need is a hairdryer.
Yea, I have a bunch of vinyl samples I bought for my computer. Used to think maybe gold vinyl wrap would look good over the metallic grey accents. (I have a Parchment '07 Aero) - Leather over the handles, e-brake, and smart slot is still classier... Found an auto upholster in my town. Gonna call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice car! You gave me the inspiration to add the ccfl halo rings on my fogs!

Just to clarify, you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Did you buy the rings from retro and then had them protect them?

I assume you never use the fogs because it would look weird with the halogen bulb and ccfl right?

Also, what HID kit did you use? I ask because you have 5000k bulbs and wondering how close they match the ccfl above the headlights and the fog lights? 35w or 55w?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Just to clarify, you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

I assume you never use the fogs because it would look weird with the halogen bulb and ccfl right?

Also, what HID kit did you use? I ask because you have 5000k bulbs and wondering how close they match the ccfl above the headlights and the fog lights? 35w or 55w?

Cheers!

I second everything he just said. Picked up a 2010 2.0T and wanna do the same. You're ride looks suh wheat.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Thanks! Let me know if you need any help. Just please do it right the first time and save yourself the headache!

Yes.

They did the resin dipping and I bought the CCFLs through them as well.

Does not look weird at all. The fog lights overpower the CCFLs anyway so you can't really tell they are there when fogs are on. I don't use my fog lights unless there is fog! (unlike many of today's fog light warriors)

I used a 35W HID kit with CANBUS circuitry. I've read that 50W HID gets too hot for many housings. Also, it's unnecessarily bright. More light isn't always better, it's the way the light is dispersed!

Cheers!
I second everything he just said. Picked up a 2010 2.0T and wanna do the same. You're ride looks suh wheat.
Thank you suh.:cheesy:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thank you suh.:cheesy:
Gracies for the reply!

I am still debating on getting hids because they are not adaptive lights and worried on blinding people, and I guess just not looking good. But now that I think of it, I probably should get hids if I get the ccfl rings. Otherwise they probably will look bad with my oem halogens.

Ever notice the resin becoming a problem with clarity of the lights?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Gracies for the reply!

I am still debating on getting hids because they are not adaptive lights and worried on blinding people, and I guess just not looking good. But now that I think of it, I probably should get hids if I get the ccfl rings. Otherwise they probably will look bad with my oem halogens.

Ever notice the resin becoming a problem with clarity of the lights?

Cheers!
I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you. I am immensely against blinding others and can't stand people who put HID retrofits into non-projector housings. Glare glare glare. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic while driving my car at night. I've even watched my car while driving my other Saab as my wife drove mine and there is not a single issue with the HIDs. Since our cars have projector housings, it's all good. I just changed to HIDs for the light output and the slightly whiter color.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you. I am immensely against blinding others and can't stand people who put HID retrofits into non-projector housings. Glare glare glare. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic while driving my car at night. I've even watched my car while driving my other Saab as my wife drove mine and there is not a single issue with the HIDs. Since our cars have projector housings, it's all good. I just changed to HIDs for the light output and the slightly whiter color.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.[/QUOTE
Really? I thought that's how xenon lights are legal, because of the adaptive lights. Or it could be because they came from the factory. Awhile ago I looked for oem xenon headlights = $$$. Either way, I always assumed they are illegal. But because we have projectors, they are legal?

Who knows. I am still getting them now. Thanks for the tips!;ol;

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.[/QUOTE
Really? I thought that's how xenon lights are legal, because of the adaptive lights. Or it could be because they came from the factory. Awhile ago I looked for oem xenon headlights = $$$. Either way, I always assumed they are illegal. But because we have projectors, they are legal?

You'll be fine to put the hids in. People with civics put them in which blind drivers because they don't have the projector lenses on theirs. Just the bulb with the mirror behind it. We have the actual projector...the only difference between ours and stock hids are that the stock hids are bi-xenon, meaning one bulb(one behind projector) does high and low beam. Their projector moves to adjust wether it is high or low beam. Essentially just pick up a low beam kit and install into projectors. Keep the high beam as it currently is. Low beam will be xenon, high will be halogen.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So SweedSpeed...what you did was buy the halo kit and install (meaning they come dipped in that resin already), or did you have to have them do that custom?

" you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Yes."
The kit is installed on the OUTSIDE, correct?

Also, Do the rings come on when the headlights come on? fog lights come on? Separate button to turn them on/off?

You mentioned that when the fogs are on it over powers them..so my though was that they are on, when the fogs are-not on...then wondering How?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

You should start a build page with pics so we can check out your car!

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
So SweedSpeed...what you did was buy the halo kit and install (meaning they come dipped in that resin already), or did you have to have them do that custom?

" you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Yes."

Also, Do the rings come on when the headlights come on? fog lights come on? Separate button to turn them on/off?

You mentioned that when the fogs are on it over powers them..so my though was that they are on, when the fogs are-not on...then wondering How?
Yes, the rings are on the outside. However, you and I have completely different cars. Isn't yours a 2003? If your car is a 2003, your fog lights are somewhat rectangular...

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Yes."

Rings are always on unless headlight switch is in "AUTO" position and it's daylight OR car is in park. No separate button. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense to me, can you re-state?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You'll be fine to put the hids in. People with civics put them in which blind drivers because they don't have the projector lenses on theirs. Just the bulb with the mirror behind it. We have the actual projector...the only difference between ours and stock hids are that the stock hids are bi-xenon, meaning one bulb(one behind projector) does high and low beam. Their projector moves to adjust wether it is high or low beam. Essentially just pick up a low beam kit and install into projectors. Keep the high beam as it currently is. Low beam will be xenon, high will be halogen.
Not completely true. There are differences between the halogen projector and hid projector. The halogen projector does a good job of not blinding people (with an hid kit), but it does not perform as good as the HID version. Not enough to warrant me tearing open a set of lights to change them out, but it is noticeable.

Also the projector does not move for the hi beams. The shield moves up and down via a solenoid.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.
Actually they do go up/down as well as left and right. Mine do anyway, I think it's part of the auto leveling feature.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Not completely true. There are differences between the halogen projector and hid projector. The halogen projector does a good job of not blinding people (with an hid kit), but it does not perform as good as the HID version. Not enough to warrant me tearing open a set of lights to change them out, but it is noticeable.

Also the projector does not move for the hi beams. The shield moves up and down via a solenoid.
You're right. When I swapped my OEM halogen e55's out for the OEM E55 xenons in my '04, you could definitely see in a side by side that the xenon projector was much better made. And the beam pattern was much better, the optics of the reflector are better.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Wait...what part wasn't completely true? Yeah you'll be fine to put them in, but obviously they won't perform as good because they aren't bixenon. Lots of people have put hids in halogen projectors but yes, they won't do both hi and low beam as well as auto level and turn when you drive.

If it is as easy as it was to put in hids in a pre-facelift fog housing, it isn't that hard. Just a matter of wireing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Again, really don't recommend carid.com due to past experiences, but to each his own.
your right. i had them shipped, not only were they a HUGE hassle to barely fit, they were strobing.. can you help me identify why the lights do that? even when they arent being used they just tend to flash...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wait...what part wasn't completely true? Yeah you'll be fine to put them in, but obviously they won't perform as good because they aren't bixenon. Lots of people have put hids in halogen projectors but yes, they won't do both hi and low beam as well as auto level and turn when you drive.

If it is as easy as it was to put in hids in a pre-facelift fog housing, it isn't that hard. Just a matter of wireing.
Putting an HID kit in halogen projectors will not perform as good as the factory HID projectors. It wont blind people if properly aimed, but the output wont match the oem HID version. I am not talking about them being bi xenon or not. I am referencing low beam output only.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Putting an HID kit in halogen projectors will not perform as good as the factory HID projectors. It wont blind people if properly aimed, but the output wont match the oem HID version. I am not talking about them being bi xenon or not. I am referencing low beam output only.
I'd have to disagree with you on the light output. At one point, I had both a 2008 Aero vert w/factory xenons and my 2.0T with aftermarket HIDs in halogen projector housings and I couldn't tell the difference in light output. Just my opinion.

61 - 80 of 1046 Posts