SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1046 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Finally got around to this. This is a list of everything I've done to my car since purchased new from the dealer in 2010. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Overview

- 2009 SAAB 9³ Turbo4 SportSedan
- Automatic 5-speed Transmission
- Snow Silver Metallic
- Comfort and Cold Weather Packages
- Purchased new in 2010

Under The Hood

- JZW Stage 2 tune (previously Stage 3+ E85 w/bigger injectors, 3" turbo-back)
- Custom dual exhaust using OEM Aero V6 mufflers and 4 inch angle-cut round Vibrant exhaust tips (logo-free)
- Magnaflow center resonator
- Single electronic exhaust cutout (DMH) with heavy duty rocker switch in seat trim
- AEM UEGO Wideband/Boost failsafe gauge
- Mishimoto Z-line FMIC w/silicone hoses and stainless t-bolt clamps
- GS anodized black brake fluid cap
- Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic and NGK BCPR7ES plugs gapped to 0.9mm

Suspension

- Koni Yellow Sport adjustable struts/shocks
- H&R sport springs (lowered front 1.4 inches, rear 1.3 inches)
- SPC EZ camber bolts

Wheel and Tire

- Miro 112 / 19x8.5 / 5x110 / ET32 wheels with 245/35/R19 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires
- SAAB ALU50 17x7 wheels/Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 snow tires
- Akebono pads, Brembo rotors, ATE fluid

Exterior

- Auto dimming side mirror retrofit
- TRS 5000K HID conversion with hidden Morimoto Canbus 35W ballasts, XB-35 H11 bulbs, 3" clear TRS lenses
- Plastidipped orange corner reflectors Anthracite
- TRS fog light 5000K V2 COB LED halo rings w/plastic diffuser cases
- Anti-tailgater white bulbs installed to rear fogs
- OEM front fog light kit
- Tailgater rear warning LEDs with mini strobe controller on dash
- CREE 25-watt LEDs (50-watt total) retrofitted into reverse lights with relay retrofit
- 25-watt amber CREE LEDs in front and rear turn signals with relay retrofit
- Tunerdomes license plate festoon LEDs with relay retrofit
- Hirsch rear exhaust diffuser
- Hirsch front splitters in body color
- SAAB accessory front lip spoiler
- 2012 SAAB Griffin rear lip spoiler
- Updated OEM rear badging , Hirsch badges, all Plastidipped Anthracite
- Painted brake calipers and rotor hats high-temp silver
- WeatherTech LampGard protection film on headlights and foglights
- Custom honeycomb mesh upper and lower grills
- Paint-matched windshield washer nozzles
- LED puddle lamps under side skirts (5 each side)
- PIAA EuroSport horns
- Train horns with dedicated air compressor in trunk

Interior

- Re-configured headlight switch to Auto/parking lights/ON
- Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
- "Shaved" front door lock pulls
- Disabled TPMS
- Rear window "express-up" retrofit
- Painted interior trim metallic silver
- OEM SAAB manual shift boot
- All interior lights replaced with pure white LEDs
- Green LED conversion for cigarette lighter backlighting
- Custom green accent LEDs in front door handles and pockets
- Green security system LED
- Custom Valentine 1 concealed color display in place of OnStar switchpack
- Hirsch interior leather kit (door handles, e-brake, smartslot cover)
- Maxpider 3D rubber mats
- Center vent modification = much easier removal

In-Car Entertainment

- PA20-GM interface with stock head unit
- Hidden bluetooth receiver, on at key OFF, Wireless OEM steering wheel controls
- JL 10? sub in custom cubby box fiberglass enclosure (made by fellow SC member!) + JL 250W mono amp
- Infinity Reference 3002CFX front dash speakers
- Dynamat on all 4 doors and door panels
- Foam sound deadening in parcel shelf, C-pillars, headliner

·
Registered
755 Posts
questions about these upgrades:

Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
All interior lights replaced with LEDs
Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)

how did you reconfigure the headlight switch to off? i would LOVE to do that for mine i think its POINTLESS to waste the life on it and having it on during the day. i must know how you got this done!

and also how to disable the chime too!

and what exact interior lights were replaced? and can you link me the products please? as well as how you did the green accents on the doors! looks great!

and which ipod interface you bought for your saab. i have a 2011 saab 9-3 conv turbo4. i would like to get the bluetooth to work because i have the buttons on my steering wheel but no bluetooth....smh!

and for the fog light, do you need to buy the stock headlight switch WITH the front fog light button? and did you need an HID conversion kit ? thanks!
my car currently has NO fog lights.. idk if yours did or didnt either but do you have to cut out the plastic covering it? or pull out the fog light kit?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Beautiful man. Looks great! I love the fogs. I would love to do that but have no idea what you did haha. Very very nice upgrades man I love it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I sent you a pm, but others might want to know the info as well. How long ago did you order the Hirsch parts? Saabparts.net said they can get the front splitters for my aero, but they quoted 6-8 weeks. Did your's take that long, and are they attached with just 3m tape?

Nice photos and a great looking car. Nothing ricey and it looks stock to a non saab owner. Seeing the spoiler makes me wish my car has one *cough* Shuizzy *cough* :cheesy:

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent you a pm, but others might want to know the info as well. How long ago did you order the Hirsch parts? Saabparts.net said they can get the front splitters for my aero, but they quoted 6-8 weeks. Did your's take that long, and are they attached with just 3m tape?

Nice photos and a great looking car. Nothing ricey and it looks stock to a non saab owner. Seeing the spoiler makes me wish my car has one *cough* Shuizzy *cough* :cheesy:
Hey thanks! I actually ordered all the Hirsch stuff about 2 years ago, just never got around to posting it up. They still took around 8 weeks to arrive though. Ordered through saabusaparts.com. And no, they don't attach with 3m tape, they use a special adhesive compound called Sika-Flex. It was a huge pain in the butt to get them aligned and cleaned up.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a detailed step by step how you got your fogs to look like that??;ol;;ol;
I don't sorry. It was pretty straightforward though, just took a long time. I tapped into the eyebrow LED circuit for power. Painted the fog light covers high gloss black w/silver trim. Installed CCFL halos on outside of housing (85mm ring diameter fits perfectly over stock fog housing) using silicone glue. Weatherproofed whole thing and good to go!

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are my top choice right now, where did you find the 5x110 bolt pattern? and I see the black center lug caps thing are missing. Did you remove them from the wheels (since they come stock on them)
Custom ordered through discount tire direct. ACE custom drills each set to your bolt pattern. They don't carry stock since each order is custom (color, offset, bolt pattern, style).

And yes, the caps are OEM SAAB. Didn't like the spider-style ACE covers.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK haha lets see if I can answer all your questions.

questions about these upgrades:

Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
All interior lights replaced with LEDs
Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)

how did you reconfigure the headlight switch to off? i would LOVE to do that for mine i think its POINTLESS to waste the life on it and having it on during the day. i must know how you got this done!

Must be done with a GM Tech 2 diagnostic computer. And actually, I drive with my headlights on all the time, even during bright sunny days. It's a SAAB safety feature that I got used to back when I owned 9000's, OG9-3s. I just programmed it so that I could turn them off when parked in front of someone's house, etc.

and also how to disable the chime too!

Also done using GM Tech 2 diagnostic computer.

and what exact interior lights were replaced? and can you link me the products please? as well as how you did the green accents on the doors! looks great!

Website link is below. Prices and shipping is fair. Just type product numbers into search box and you'll find everything.

I spent a lot of time researching, measuring stock bulbs, and trying different bulbs and returning them to get the perfect combination while maintaining all the same color with these bulbs. All of these part numbers are the ones you want for the 9-3SS.

www.ledlight.com

Part number, quantity, description:

64357, x 1, dome light for above rear seat area. Best bulb you can buy for this location.

78564, x 2, for front dome light ("map" light). Equally awesome.

47185, x 4, for door courtesy lights.

74237, x 1, for trunk light.

LED lights in door handles and door panels were custom. Drilled through back of panel and used very small green LEDs. Wired into circuit that illuminates door lock button.

and which ipod interface you bought for your saab. i have a 2011 saab 9-3 conv turbo4. i would like to get the bluetooth to work because i have the buttons on my steering wheel but no bluetooth....smh!

You may be able to retrofit a stock GM bluetooth unit to the car, but I have no idea how to do that. I just installed a Parrot CK-3100 in my wife's Viggen and it's BETTER than the SAAB OEM bluetooth for phone usage. Here is the iPod interface product link (I bet you this might work with an iPhone, but I haven't tried. If anyone's interested, I'll try hooking it up to my wife's iPhone. The only thing is that you wouldn't be able to use the car's microphone):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA20GM/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-GM.html

And here's my review of the unit:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose sound system. Yes, that's right, in my Saab. If you own a Saab 9-3 2007-2011, Bose system or not, this will work in your car (as long as you have XM radio, which I know was standard equipment for 2007-2009, not sure about 2010 and 2011). This will absolutely NOT work in a 2006 and older Saab 9-3. The factory head unit is a re-purposed, re-programmed, and re-trimmed version of the standard GM head unit that you find, for example, in a Chevy Silverado (Saab did this to cut costs). Installation is easy, just remove rear passenger trunk liner to expose the XM unit, plug in the USA Spec in between the car harness and the XM unit, run the iPod cable to the front center console. Crystal clear CD quality sound. I have had this for 2 years and I've compared the sound quality between the same song (USA Spec vs. physical CD in player), and I can't tell the difference. Allows you to control (and charge) the iPod from the factory head unit, or you have the option of controlling it from the iPod. Displays song title, artist, genre, etc., even scrolls if it's a longer title. Great solution if you're like me and wanted to keep the factory stereo look. See cons below for my 2 complaints.

Pros:
See above

Cons:

The biggest complaint, by far, is the inability to change the iPod tracks with the steering wheel controls. Whether or not this is because of USA Spec programming or GM programming, I don't know. If you try and use the steering wheel track change buttons, it changes the radio station and stops your music. So, you just use the track change buttons on the head unit. Second, the provided iPod cable is NOT long enough to run from the trunk to the front. You have to purchase an iPod extension cable.

and for the fog light, do you need to buy the stock headlight switch WITH the front fog light button? and did you need an HID conversion kit ? thanks!
my car currently has NO fog lights.. idk if yours did or didnt either but do you have to cut out the plastic covering it? or pull out the fog light kit?

For the fog lights, you need to buy the fog lights themselves, the headlight switch with the fog button, and the harness. You don't need to cut the plastic dummy covers, they just pop out. And I didn't put HIDs in because the lenses aren't projector lenses and I'm extremely against people putting HIDs into non-projector housings that end up blinding people on the road. The fog lights come with halogen bulbs, left them in there.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Custom ordered through discount tire direct. ACE custom drills each set to your bolt pattern. They don't carry stock since each order is custom (color, offset, bolt pattern, style).

And yes, the caps are OEM SAAB. Didn't like the spider-style ACE covers.
Yeah there's some other guy on the forums who also has the V12's on his navy blue aero and he ordered them through Discount Tire Direct as well.

I found them available on Car iD.com and they say they have them available but not sure if that is true... how much was it all and all excluding rubber?

and they look great btw

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah there's some other guy on the forums who also has the V12's on his navy blue aero and he ordered them through Discount Tire Direct as well.

I found them available on Car iD.com and they say they have them available but not sure if that is true... how much was it all and all excluding rubber?

and they look great btw
Thanks! I would never buy anything from Carid.com. I've had 2 very unpleasant experiences with them. Horrible 45 min wait times and horrible customer service. Stick with discount tire. Wheels, hubcentric rings, together was under $750 shipped. Great deal for some very nice + lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't sorry. It was pretty straightforward though, just took a long time. I tapped into the eyebrow LED circuit for power. Painted the fog light covers high gloss black w/silver trim. Installed CCFL halos on outside of housing (85mm ring diameter fits perfectly over stock fog housing) using silicone glue. Weatherproofed whole thing and good to go!
Do you have a close up picture on the foglights that way I know what to work with? Did you remove the stock foglight assembly like the plastic glass?

Thanks!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks! I would never buy anything from Carid.com. I've had 2 very unpleasant experiences with them. Horrible 45 min wait times and horrible customer service. Stick with discount tire. Wheels, hubcentric rings, together was under $750 shipped. Great deal for some very nice + lightweight wheels.
Holy sh** under $750 shipped?? That is incredible..

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, you don't need to disassemble the fog lights at all. You just glue the ring on the outside of the housing, then drill a small hole to run the wiring through. Doesn't involve the actual fog lights at all. I don't have any close-ups of the rings, sorry.

1 - 20 of 1046 Posts