SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am starting on a redesign for the rear ARB mounts. The overall geometry makes this a pain to cut on 2 passes so I am still concerned the cost may be too high for a solid CNC piece. This might have to go to a local fabricator I know for 18GA sheet work. He can make anything look nice.

Wood Office ruler Input device Peripheral Office supplies

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Those sound great, these are either costly to replace or not available. The main real issue is the bushing, and to a lesser extent bigger support plate inside the car.

There are several innovative fixes involving stainless pipe and poly bushings that sort this for modest cost and a bit of work, I can find this approach and put it up here if there is any interest.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend is backlogged so no local product. My current solid design can be cut for under 60 a piece out of 6061. I have a plate design already and can get them laser cut.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bushing that will fit this can be OE or preferably Energy Suspension's greasable poly. I have a 17mm sample bushing for the kit prototype but you can get 19, 20, etc.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New 300x300 3D printer set up and printing a prototype out of carbon fiber PLA. Got lots of space now to prototype big parts. The old Monoprice Select Plus 200x200 still does a good job after 8 years but this one has a larger bed, faster and more precise extrusion, a sprint plate which requires no bed prep and auto-levelling. The extrusion head is mag-mounted too for easy servicing.

Wood Automotive exterior Technology Machine Metal

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately the geometry variances between RH and LH prevents a single design to replace both. I have a LH model printing right now. One potential issue with an aftermarket mount is the spacing for the bushing bracket bolts. The OE small bushings have a 60mm spacing while the large Energy Suspension polys have a slot-hole design fitting 96mm or larger spacing. The design here is set to 96mm spacing for M8x1.25 retaining screws. If the consensus here is to go with aftermarket bushings then no changes will need to be made. Honestly, the OE bushings are a waste of $ with this replacement. The greasable poly bushings are a better option.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe this will be the final draft of the mount redesigns. The RH and LH needed larger mounting holes for the frame as well as a screw well for the retaining plate keeper screw that pokes from the bottom of the car. I chopped some depth out of the LH to save on material weight. These will be CNC machined out of 6061-T6 alloy as have all of my suspension components in the past. For the cost, you can't beat the tensile strength and machinability. I don't suspect there to be any thread shearing at the bushing during racing, but you can easily drill out the threads and install M8x1.25 Time Serts with red threadlocker if you plan on trying to roll your car over. That has been a proven thread retaining solution for my sway bar mounting adapters. Repeated torqued install/removal will not yield without major heating. I have a time-sert testing video on my channel demonstrating how strong those inserts are in T6 alloy when installed with red loctite.

Bumper Automotive exterior Font Auto part Bicycle part

Font Auto part Rectangle Symbol Electric blue

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1/4" ride variance mostly due to rubber bushings and uneven jack stands. Working on drawings for threads now. Looks like a kit with mounts, top plates and screws will run about 250 for a 10-kit preorder. 25-kit will run under 200.

I am working on Powerflex bushing caps now as well as sister-bar connectors.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
RH and LH mounts CNC out of extruded T6 aluminum
Black hard anodizing for extended life
2 x 316 SS bolts for mounting the OE bushing and clamp
2 x top plates with installed studs and 2 x M6 hex button-head retaining screws

A 10 kit pre-order will give the following: $250 + shipping per kit
A 25 kit pre-order will drop the price to $180 + shipping per kit

There have been questions about the rubber donut being missing from the mount design. The only true benefit of putting a rubber connection in the ARB mount there is to soften the bar response during hard impacts. It also is a soft suspension failure point. Due to the geometry of the RH side that donut will fail first due to the amount of leverage imposed. That movement also correlates to less of a sport ride and more of a "luxury sport" ride. Well, until the rubber deteriorates and then you have no body roll control. Converting the end links from a single pivot to dual-pivot will help reduce binding under severe compression but it will also allow more body roll. Let me know what you all think.

Bushing caps for the Powerflex bushings will run about $50 per pair for a 10 kit pre-order and $30 per pair for a 25 kit pre-order.
I have a set printing right now to verify fitment.
This mount will require long installation bolts that you can buy yourself or I can provide as a bushing kit with or without the Powerflex 19mm poly bushes.

Shoe Font Electric blue Human leg Sandal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts